Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Best used estate

Views : 1003

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 19th, 2019, 10:03   #11
Sotosound
Premier Member

I have a 2014 64-reg V70 D4 SE Lux auto with 118K on the clock, which I acquired in April last year with 97K on the clock plus full main dealer service history.

This car feels solid as a rock and shows no age-related signs apart from a slight discolouration of the leather on the driver's seat due to 118K's worth of drivers' b*ms being sat on it.

I bought it for the comfort, ease of driving, reliability and the likelihood of many rust-free years of driving. Plus I wanted the practicality of an estate.

I had the gearbox oil changed at the last service for safety's sake.

The engine is the new 4-cylinder 2.0 VEA diesel engine with 181 ps, and it performs really well. For a 4-cylinder diesel, the installation is also excellent and the main indicator that it's only got 4-cylinders comes from my ears when pushing it hard. In normal driving it's just a really quiet and smooth operator.

The 8-speed auto gearbox is great since it's harder to be found in the wrong gear when there's eight of them. Also, I'm sure that it helps acceleration since 8 speeds allows the engine to be kept on the boil. An 8-speed manual - if one existed - however, would be a right pain.

If you buy a V70 of that era then the D4 makes a lot of sense since it performs very well and also has lower emissions than the D5. My VED is £30, whereas a D5 Geartronic will set you back £200.

(I also suspect that the D5 was quietly dropped in 2014.)

My intention is to keep the V70 for many years, until either it stops functioning or I stop driving.

I wouldn't say the same if it were any other brand, however.

When I was looking for my next car early last year, I also test drove a 2015 V70 D4 with 146K on the clock and, if anything, it was an even more solid car. It showed absolutely no signs of high mileage. It was, however, only an SE and was missing some of the bells and whistles that I wanted. Also, I was happier to get a car that was a only few months older but with 49K less miles on the clock. Just seemed to make sense.

What this says, however, is that whatever car you do buy, just ensure that it's been well looked after.

Last edited by Sotosound; Aug 19th, 2019 at 10:37.
Sotosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2019, 15:39   #12
DSK
C70 T5

Harvey and biggbn have the cars that spring to my mind but the following 2 get my outright vote overall.

The 2.2 cdti Honda Accords accords are usually very well appointed and durable, more so than the German equivalents. Had a saloon version in the family for a several years and it was just like a Volvo, just did what it needed to and well without giving any grief.

Volvo V70 D5 163. The 163bhp model is said to be less troublesome than the 185 variant but, either way, value for money, space and comfort is matched by none.

2000 C70 T5 GT Coupe
1998 S70R / 1995 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo
2007 Mercedes CLS 320 CDI / 2011 Mercedes S350 Bluetec
2007 Suzuki GSXR-1000
DSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2019, 16:25   #13
Sotosound
Premier Member

If I understood correctly, then Fifthwheel is looking for a much newer car than a D5 163HP, which will be always be more than 14 years old.

The following car is probably very nice but might be too old.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...ars&dpp=757262

This one, however, looks very tempting.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...asc&dpp=757262
Old Aug 19th, 2019, 16:50   #14
TonyB65

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthwheel View Post
Thanks all, I probably should have said I was looking for Volvo.
I am running a Merc 200 cdi estate at the moment from 2011.
Mercedes are not the car they used to be so am falling out with it a bit
I thought a Volvo might be more reliable if I found the right model.
I didnt ask about late cars as I keep getting told "They are not proper Volvo's
anymore"
I would go for a late car if they were as reliable as some of the old ones. john
I was in a similar boat to you just over a year ago, I ended up getting a mint condition 2009 V70 D5 with 94K on the clock. A year later I'm very happy with it and it's been rock solid reliable. All I can say is that if the older models are supposed to be better I'm not sure how. I've done nearly 15k in mine and there is not a single squeak or rattle on it, it literally drives like new and it came with a towbar fitted and I tow with it occasionally as well. I would not have believed a car with over 100K could be as tight as this one is had I not experienced it myself. The caveat is that it had an excellent history and had been well maintained, something I continue to do myself.
Old Aug 19th, 2019, 17:54   #15
Sotosound
Premier Member

Three years ago I nearly bought a black 2008 V70 D5 SE Lux Geartronic to replace my old 2003 V70 D5 S manual.

A problem was that I'd so enjoyed the long drive to the dealership in my old car that I couldn't really justify swapping it in for something that didn't add much of value in terms of space or comfort or performance. I also (probably wrongly) mistrusted it a bit because it had a lot of Ford content. Also, the stereo in the SE Lux wasn't as good as the one in the older and more basic D5 S.

A week or two earlier I'd stupidly bought a Skoda Superb Elegance 2.0 TDI DSG and hated it. Hence, I hadn't sold the old V70 and was considering moving on the Superb at a loss in order to stay with Volvo. The old V70 had 190K on the clock, however, and some big bills were anticipated, e.g. clutch and cambelt service.

In the end, I sold the old V70 but should have kept it and done the work.

Shortly thereafter, I also sold the Superb and bought a Mondeo of similar age for half the price. That was a lovely car but not something to keep forever.

Last year I did far better and part-exchanged the Mondeo for my current 2014 V70. This is also black but - from my perspective - a far better car than the 2008 example.

What I appreciate now is that the P3 V70 actually benefitted from sharing a platform with the Mondeo in terms of space for the driver up front along with height since it's a taller car than my old 2003 P2 V70. I also prefer the power curve and throttle response of the 2014 V70 D4 over the 2008 V70 D5, which was a bit "All or nothing at all.".

What I do find amusing, however, is that when I lock the car I hear exactly the same sound as the door mirrors fold as I did with the Mondeo. I suspect that the electric motor is the same make and model.