Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help! First breakdown in 15 years

Views : 3554

Replies : 47

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 2nd, 2020, 18:10   #41
chris s

Hello,

Here's the photos of the two different heads, probably the one I've just bought (the fresher looking one!) will be going onto ebay unless anybody here wants one.

Cheers,
Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200202_100624.jpg (167.5 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 20200202_100837#1.jpg (151.1 KB, 23 views)
chris s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2020, 19:51   #42
mocambique-amazone
Master Member

Sorry for your bad luck, B200F are not very common here in Germany.

the head you bought is from a B2xxE with K-Jetronic. Two differences:
One thread missing for the ECU/EZK temperator sensor and the holes above the inlet.
There are plugs on the market to close them, more cheap is to glue it with JB-weld and a coin. You will find easily if 1or 2 pence,maybe 50?
The cam should be the better on.
a few posts above you wrote both are 530
the camcover may be different, have a closer look from the rear of both.

easy to swap this head on your car

good luck, Kay
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mocambique-amazone For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 2nd, 2020, 21:19   #43
chris s

Thanks Kay for your helpful advice.
I remember lots of years ago on my carbureted 142 I had a B20E head which had core plugs filling the injector holes, I suppose that's a similar thing to what you've suggested doing on this B200 head.
Closing the holes then shouldn't be much of a problem, with my limited mechanical ability I should be able to do that, however the sensor on the recon head is in a different place and is a larger size. Any suggestions on how to use the original smaller sensor?
I thought about installing a helicoil in the same place as on my original head or maybe using a reducing adaptor.
Any thoughts?

Thanks again,
Chris
The Following User Says Thank You to chris s For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 10:42   #44
mocambique-amazone
Master Member

Hi Chris
I would ask a machine shop nearby.
Measure the hight of the head in front of this. The original und minimum height are stored in my head and I can't find it, chaos in my head too much :-)
They will do the helicoil and cutting the thread too, less expensive than the labour on your original head.

Other solution: disassemble the original head, ask the shop to check if this is warped and the valve guides are ok. New guides are expensive, cutting the seats will be a result of this. Skimming a head isn't very expensive. The valve parts you will swap from the K-Jetronic E-head.
I've a few 530 in stock, the shipping would be more expensive than the item himself.
Good luck, Kay
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mocambique-amazone For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 19:37   #45
chris s

Thanks again Kay for your advice.
I took both heads to my local engine building company and explained the situation. They advised that it's probably best to have the original head checked over and rebuilt as necessary. As we would like to keep the car forever it's probably best not to take any short cuts.
Hopefully the head will be done by the end of the week, next week we should be Volvo-ing again!

Cheers,
Chris
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chris s For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 25th, 2023, 14:36   #46
Angie
Premier Member

I started a thread recently as my car suffered an identical problem to yours. Did you solve it eventually? In the case of my engine everything seems to be functioning including valves opening and closing so I'm hoping no damage, just wondered if there's anything I could tell the garage which might lead them in the right direction.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2023, 19:33   #47
chris s

Hello Angie,

Yes the 240 was running beautifully again with it's rebuilt head, unfortunately corrosion was getting hold of it and I've been welding it on and off for 3 years now.
Only a front radiator crossmember to go in, a lower front wing repair and some paintwork and it will be back on the road. Next Spring hopefully...

Cheers,

Chris
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chris s For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 31st, 2023, 22:21   #48
Angie
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris s View Post
Hello Angie,

Yes the 240 was running beautifully again with it's rebuilt head, unfortunately corrosion was getting hold of it and I've been welding it on and off for 3 years now.
Only a front radiator crossmember to go in, a lower front wing repair and some paintwork and it will be back on the road. Next Spring hopefully...

Cheers,

Chris
Mine is daily transport and I'm missing it! The structure has had some welding over the years but this year there were no advisories, which is reassuring. Whenever it goes to the garage I ask them to check underneath to see if there are any warning signs. Some of the bodywork, particularly rear arches, is decidedly shabby so I need to save some pennies to have that seen to before it's beyond repair, though I see that panels are available, which might be a better option.

Is yours the red Torslanda which I've seen in the Penzance area once or twice quite a while ago?
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Angie For This Useful Post: