Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help 07 v50 making squealing noise

Views : 803

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 17th, 2012, 18:33   #1
Routley

Default Help 07 v50 making squealing noise

We've only had are v50 for A week now and this afternoon on my way to work it started making a squealing noise whilst moving and it got worse when I started cornering.

Once I got to work parked up clocked in the went back and moved the car to the car park it seamed to have gone

Anyone had this before or know what it is??

Cheers
Routley
Routley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2012, 14:13   #2
Routley

Ive had a chat with my local dealer and he told me it seams from the surface that it was just a stone that had been picked up between the disc and disc cover and happens to be a common event.

Cheers
Routley
Old Jan 18th, 2012, 15:16   #3
kristoff

Had that myself, bit worrying at the time.

S40 1.8 SE 2008 Met Black Sapphire : :broken_heart

BMW E90 320d MSport 2008 Met Black Sapphire
kristoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kristoff For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2012, 19:56   #4
Routley

Yeah tell me about it thought it was gonna be major.
Old Jan 18th, 2012, 22:32   #5
EricMe
V50 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routley View Post
Ive had a chat with my local dealer and he told me it seams from the surface that it was just a stone that had been picked up between the disc and disc cover and happens to be a common event.

Cheers
Routley
It's usually a lot more unpleasant that mere 'squealing' ! More of a horrible grating noise with a hint of rattle.

I've had that happen several times on my V50 and numerous times on previous vehicles with disc brakes. You can often get rid of the problem by driving very fast in reverse then stamping on brakes. This isn't of course the sort of thing you'd do when there's anyone else about.

Even that's only a temporary cure - the proper solution is to remove wheel and inspect the shielding plate around the disc that's supposed to prevent stones getting trapped. Getting your first stone trapped will bend the shielding a bit and make it easier to happen again so you ned to try and work out what shape it ought to be and try & restore that.
EricMe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EricMe For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 16:55   #6
Jan Thoumine

Default Stones in brakes

We have had the same problem with our V60 since the day we had it in September 2016. The car is only ever driven on proper road surfaces and the neighbours must be amused at watching us dance the car backwards and forwards to try to get rid of trapped stones. I can't believe the stones are doing the brakes any good.

Thanks for your reply about the stone shielding - I now feel more confident in taking forward a complaint to the suppliers!
Jan Thoumine is offline   Reply With Quote