Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

More problems with my 2005 V50 2.0D - Wont start

Views : 2073

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 23rd, 2016, 21:06   #1
bremner27

Default More problems with my 2005 V50 2.0D - Wont start

Hello,

I'm having more issues with my V50, I've had air in the fuel system for a while and have had problems starting I never got round to finding the cause of the problem just bled the system when it wouldn't start and thought I'll sort that one day.
It wouldn't start Friday morning so I bled the fuel system as I've done 5 or 6 times before but still no joy so I read the codes using VIDA and my DICE unit and a couple errors popped up and I'm a little confused about where to go next. (The top error has always been there "faulty software signal" its been there since I had my dpf deleted)

Any helps appreciated fellas.

Cheers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2016-10-23 at 16.58.51.jpg (64.6 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2016-10-23 at 16.57.00.jpg (80.7 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (191.0 KB, 111 views)
bremner27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2016, 21:49   #2
Rooster
Speed freak

It will put them codes in because you have been cranking the crap out of it,

Battery voltage looks to be struggling aswell 11.5v,

How does the starter motor sound as they get noisy with age and are unable to crank engine fast enough to start it??,

Have you checked shutter valve on inlet manifolds not jammed shut??,
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2016, 22:26   #3
bremner27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
It will put them codes in because you have been cranking the crap out of it,

Battery voltage looks to be struggling aswell 11.5v,

How does the starter motor sound as they get noisy with age and are unable to crank engine fast enough to start it??,

Have you checked shutter valve on inlet manifolds not jammed shut??,
Thanks for the reply mate, yes I've been cranking it over a lot thinking it is the air in the fuel system problem, batteries on charge now over night so that should sort out the voltage. Starter motor sounds fine and was replaced not long back, I'd say no more than 2500 miles back.
I'll check the valve but I don't think that will be the problem, it did stick when I first got the car, I replaced the whole valve, and filed the edges as somebody on here suggested to stop the problem happening again.
So are you saying those DTC's will disappear once I get it running? or have I f'ed something up by continually cranking it over?

Cheers, Andy.
Old Oct 26th, 2016, 19:32   #4
bremner27

Got round to putting the fully charged battery back in today but still no joy, got my mate to help me try and bump start it but still nothing which to me rules out battery and starter motor problems.

As I said above I've had issues with air in the fuel system before and I've tried bleeding the system but can somebody confirm I'm doing it right...

I have a diesel priming pump ( https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/lase...FdIy0wodtFUMng ) that I attach to the pipe behind the fuel filter by undoing the green push fit connector which comes from the leak off pipes I believe. I was told by youtube this was the correct way to do it as its at a point past the injectors?

Does anybody have any ideas what to try next or a better way to bleed the fuel system so I can rule out a feeling problem?

Cheers.
Old Oct 26th, 2016, 19:55   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bremner27 View Post
Got round to putting the fully charged battery back in today but still no joy, got my mate to help me try and bump start it but still nothing which to me rules out battery and starter motor problems.

As I said above I've had issues with air in the fuel system before and I've tried bleeding the system but can somebody confirm I'm doing it right...

I have a diesel priming pump ( https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/lase...FdIy0wodtFUMng ) that I attach to the pipe behind the fuel filter by undoing the green push fit connector which comes from the leak off pipes I believe. I was told by youtube this was the correct way to do it as its at a point past the injectors?

Does anybody have any ideas what to try next or a better way to bleed the fuel system so I can rule out a feeling problem?

Cheers.
how long has the battery been flat recently . 2 or 3 days ?
Old Oct 26th, 2016, 20:12   #6
bremner27

Thanks for the reply.

No mate, I flattened it by cranking it over in an attempt to get it started, then put it straight on charge so its not been sat with no charge. Like I said though I tried bump starting it and still no joy so I don't think the battery or starter is the problem.
Old Oct 26th, 2016, 20:28   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bremner27 View Post
Thanks for the reply.

No mate, I flattened it by cranking it over in an attempt to get it started, then put it straight on charge so its not been sat with no charge. Like I said though I tried bump starting it and still no joy so I don't think the battery or starter is the problem.
It is just that the 2.0 engine ECU Can loose it's immobiliser codes with a flat battery ..... a ECU software reload gets it going again ... usually this happens if the battery has been flat for a few days but you never know ...
Old Oct 26th, 2016, 20:43   #8
yannickc

Default Diesel air

I had also a problem once.
After a day no driving my v50 it had also air in the fuel lines.
It was very hard to get started.

After refitting the fuel line on the dieselpump input, the problem was solved.
So there must be a small leak and the diesel was just floating away.
yannickc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2016, 10:18   #9
MissSpentYouth

worth checking that inlet manifold flap valve not jammed shut. I had that recently it only takes a minute to fetch the inlet pipe off and take a look.
MissSpentYouth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MissSpentYouth For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 27th, 2016, 18:00   #10
bremner27

Thanks for all you replies, got it started earlier using easystart (should of tried that first really), true test is if it starts again tomorrow without using the easystart I think and then go from there.
I still think there's air getting in the fuel system as when I try to bleed the system using the recommended methods I don't get the same results as online videos. I just continually pump out air, not a volume of diesel which is what I expect and what is shown online.
I don't know where or even how to start looking for an air leak in the whole fuel system? Does anybody have any expirence of this and can offer any advice?
The Following User Says Thank You to bremner27 For This Useful Post: