Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help, Wipers wont turn off, SRS/Antiskid Service msgs....

Views : 4660

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 11th, 2011, 20:01   #1
john_knowles

Default Help, Wipers wont turn off, SRS/Antiskid Service msgs....

Help!!!!

Was driving my S40 1.8 S Petrol home on the M3 yesterday when the following happened on the dash:
- Wipers are permanently on, cannot switch off
- SRS Service Urgent msg and light
- Anti-skid Service Due msg and light
- Fuel Guage failed
- Outside temperature reading went to ---
- Windows stopped working
- Cannot lock car but can arm and disarm the alarm
- Boot Lid open msg
- Indicators do not work but Hazards do

I can still drive the car fine but without indicator it is not very safe.

Called the RAC from the roadside who checked the fuses and alternator, even disconnected the battery for some time all without success.

Can anyone advise, what could cause this to suddenly happen?

Many thanks, John
john_knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2011, 21:56   #2
Lee '71

Hi John, as some of the error messages are for major items I think your best bet is to take it to a main dealer and get them to sort it out. I know it may well cost you a few quid but at least you'll know all the faults have been sorted and the car's safe.

On a positive side there may be a problem with one certain part that is throwing up all these problems. I had a problem with my 'Anti-Skid Service Required' warning (it also threw up a couple of extra fault codes to boot) and it turned out that their was a problem with certain chassis numbered cars and Volvo fixed mine free of charge!!

Is your S40 still under any warranty? You don't say what year your car is but I can heartily recommend King's Volvo in Hamworthy as they fixed mine and were very quick and very efficient.
Lee '71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2011, 23:18   #3
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Lee,

Did the response from Volvo actually stipulate the chasis numbers affected? If so can you post the chasis numbers?

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2011, 23:37   #4
Lee '71

No, I wasn't given the numbers but was told that there is certain sequence from a certain year that had the problem. I wasn't going to push it as it saved me, potentially, about £1,500!!

I was just so grateful that it was going to be fixed FOC.

My car is a 2006 '06' (but 2007 model) V50 2.0D Sport.
Lee '71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2011, 23:47   #5
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee '71 View Post
No, I wasn't given the numbers but was told that there is certain sequence from a certain year that had the problem. I wasn't going to push it as it saved me, potentially, about £1,500!!

I was just so grateful that it was going to be fixed FOC.

My car is a 2006 '06' (but 2007 model) V50 2.0D Sport.
Yeah you got a right result there, I had read on some other thread about the problem you had. I take it you don't rate your local Volvo dealer on Blandford Road?? Which garage do you use in Poole for your bits and bobs?

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2011, 00:12   #6
john_knowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee '71 View Post
Hi John, as some of the error messages are for major items I think your best bet is to take it to a main dealer and get them to sort it out. I know it may well cost you a few quid but at least you'll know all the faults have been sorted and the car's safe.

On a positive side there may be a problem with one certain part that is throwing up all these problems. I had a problem with my 'Anti-Skid Service Required' warning (it also threw up a couple of extra fault codes to boot) and it turned out that their was a problem with certain chassis numbered cars and Volvo fixed mine free of charge!!

Is your S40 still under any warranty? You don't say what year your car is but I can heartily recommend King's Volvo in Hamworthy as they fixed mine and were very quick and very efficient.
Hi Lee,

Thanks for the reply, it is a Jan 2005 54 plate so no warranty with only 50k on the clock so it is not like it is worn out. I have found Kings quite good in the past when they were based in Ferndown, before they moved to Poole.

Have arranged for the RAC to tow it to Kings in Poole, I hope it is just a software glitch!!!!
john_knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 16:48   #7
Johnny2bad

Default S40 wipers won’t stop old thread, new follow up to John Know

Did you ever get this problem sorted back in 2011? If so how? Thanks
Johnny2bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 17:14   #8
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny2bad View Post
Did you ever get this problem sorted back in 2011? If so how? Thanks
That sounds like a textbook issue of CEM failing (electronic box with relays&fuses under the glovebox). On our cars its prone to corrosion, water damage, loose connectors or even actual internal malfunction.

Are you experiencing similar symptoms?