Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dash Removal

Views : 2024

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 22nd, 2015, 17:23   #11
volvonic272

Mike,
The hole, for want of a better description, that the small black cowl covers is wide enough to accommodate the switches and looks like it the same size all the way through, but on the underside of the dash there's a reinforcing plate welded to it , to attach the top mounting bracket too. The hole in this is a lot smaller, therefore the column tube won't fit through it.
I've checked it out on a spare dash bottom.

Dave
volvonic272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2015, 18:30   #12
Jocky66
New Owner - 1800S

Dave and others thanks for your help, you were right Dave, slid off the steering post and the dash came out easy.

Has anyone ever just recovered the existing dash pads, I am thinking with all the vinyl wraps nowadays, may be a cheaper and possibly better option as that way I know the dash pads are / were a good fit.

And Dave thanks again.
Jocky66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2015, 19:47   #13
volvonic272

John,
Glad you have got it sorted out. The more information there is on this forum the more it benefits everyone. This is one of those jobs can be a b*****d, as Mike says, and the one that can cause a lot of frustration, and that's when things get damaged and it becomes expensive.
When I fitted mine complete it was very heavy and couldn't have done it without help.
I replaced both top and bottom. They weren't cheap, but the fit was really good. And in my opinion was worth it because that's what's in front of you when driving.
Can't help you are the vinyl rap idea, may work. Or get yours repaired if it's not that bad.
The original can split up warp with the sun.

Dave
Old Sep 5th, 2017, 12:11   #14
Kev415

Hi All
I am just contemplating the complete removal and refurbishment of my dashboard (1966 1800S) as it has a large crack across the top so have found this thread really useful but have a couple of further questions;
1. How many bolts/screws hold the dash to the car? (I can see two bolts at either end but presume there are more)
2. What is the best place to source a replacement dashpad (Brookhouse?) and how difficult is it to fit to the old dash frame?
3. What is the quality/authenticity of the replacement dashpads?
Thanks in anticipation, Kevin
Kev415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2017, 16:44   #15
volvonic272

Hiya Kev,
The dash top and bottom are seperate pieces, and the top could possibly be removed without disturbing the bottom.

The top is held in by 3 screws just below the windscreen rubber, and by 5 self tapping screws along the edge above the instrument gauges. These 5 secure the bottom to the top.

Here comes the snag, besides these 5 screws, in each corner of the top, close to the windscreen pillar there's a stud and nut fixing, which I have found is difficult to see nevermind get a socket onto.

Sometimes if they are rusty they snap which isn't a problem to fix once it's out.

I bought mine from Brookhouse, the quality of the top was spot on.
Rightly or wrongly I didn't glue mine down on the top because it fitted so well and was held down by demister vents.
I've heard that gluing them is what causes the splits, when it gets hot in the sun it can't expand so it cracks.
I've not had any problems so far.
The new top is a bit thicker than the original, and clips hold it place.
The ends where it meets the windscreen pillar have to be cut and tucked underneath the top ,but once it's in the ends can't be seen.
I replaced the bottom too and that was also a good fit.
Mines a 1965 1800s so similar to yours.

Hope this helps

Dave
The Following User Says Thank You to volvonic272 For This Useful Post: