Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Annoying stop-start

Views : 1840

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 9th, 2020, 18:02   #11
Dulcise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fursty Ferret View Post
Because it's why you pay reduced VED on the basis of lower CO2 emissions. If you want to permanently disable it then remove the support battery, although I can't see why you'd want to.

I've never had any difficulty handling the start-stop on my V60 so is it possible that it's your driving style? I expect the engine to cut out below about 5 mph, and I've never known it fail to restart within a fraction of a second when, say, approaching a roundabout or a red light going green as I get there.

Are you putting it into neutral or park while you're stationary? Don't. Problem solved.
I'm only usually shifting when parked, but this starts the engine again when moving past reverse which seems silly. It gets frustrating when approaching islands for instance and sometimes stops as you slow, but you may not stop completely if traffic permits....this cannot do the system much good as it's stopping and starting in quick succession and it's unnecessary.

Last edited by Dulcise; Aug 9th, 2020 at 18:08. Reason: addition
Dulcise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2020, 10:50   #12
Fursty Ferret

The reality is that it causes negligible additional wear on the engine. Starter motors typically wear out through overheating and this doesn't happen with a modern beefy starter, and especially so with a three-phase starter/generator on the mild hybrids.

For every second that it's stopped you're saving about 1,000 revolutions of engine use anyway.

The engine temperature doesn't really change during the stop, so it's not subject to fatigue cycles, and in any case it restarts automatically to maintain an efficient temperature.

The battery is a specifically designed to be repeatedly loaded for engine restart, and any lead acid battery will tolerate brief high current loads (we're talking less than a second here) followed by a recharge pretty much indefinitely.

Ultimately Volvo has to pick up the warranty tab if this stuff knackers the engine prematurely and you can bet your last penny that they wouldn't implement it if it cost them money in the long run.

You say that "it may not do the system much good" - well, by all means give a reasoned explanation for it but gut instinct doesn't really count.
Fursty Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2020, 11:00   #13
badonkadonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcise View Post
I'm only usually shifting when parked, but this starts the engine again when moving past reverse which seems silly. It gets frustrating when approaching islands for instance and sometimes stops as you slow, but you may not stop completely if traffic permits....this cannot do the system much good as it's stopping and starting in quick succession and it's unnecessary.
The Volvo stop\start implementation is rubbish.

In my experience, yes, it does stop the engine prematurely if you drive very smoothly, with gentle braking or coasting up to full stop. And then it sometimes gets confused and restarts a second later. Never any issues like this with Volkswagen stop\start. I had the garage check operation, and apply any required software updates, no improvement. However I do leave the system enabled and put my trust in the designers that all components are suitably specified to handle the expected wear and tear.
Old Aug 10th, 2020, 14:05   #14
gaby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fursty Ferret View Post
Because it's why you pay reduced VED on the basis of lower CO2 emissions. If you want to permanently disable it then remove the support battery, although I can't see why you'd want to.
Will removing the support battery not have other consequences as well?
Old Aug 10th, 2020, 16:07   #15
Fursty Ferret

I don’t honestly know. It would definitely inhibit the stop/start - whether it breaks anything else is anyone’s guess. 🤔
Fursty Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2020, 17:27   #16
techwatcher
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaby View Post
Will removing the support battery not have other consequences as well?
Very probably. I suspect that at the very least it would produce a warning message. The car may even detect that all is not 'present and correct' and refuse to start.
Old Aug 12th, 2020, 12:09   #17
sshooie

In previous cars I've coded it to remember the last setting, maybe something I will consider later on with this. As above there are lots of criteria for Start/Stop and some of it may seem to not make sense but will be part of the tick boxes before it stops.

One thing I was surprised was the radar doesn't start it when the car in front moves away.

Also a tap of the throttle starts it and releases the brake, on previous cars I could start it with a light tap or turn of the wheel and it would take a further press of the accelerator to release the auto hold.
sshooie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2020, 15:55   #18
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshooie View Post
One thing I was surprised was the radar doesn't start it when the car in front moves away.
With Pilot Assist, if the car in front moves off within ~3 secs of you stopping, your car will automatically follow.

If the car in front hasn't moved but you press the accelerator within that 3 secs your car will follow the one in front as long as it moves off within ~7 secs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post: