Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Impact strength

Views : 1407

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 17th, 2017, 21:21   #11
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARNEYROVER View Post
Parked up yesterday and just fastening granddaughter into car seat when an almighty bang at back of car and big Iveco van reversed into me. It went with a lot of force as threw wife and granddaughter forward. Luckily they had just got seat belts on and were ok. I dreaded looking at rear of car but couldn't believe what I saw. No visible damage, had a look underneath today and can`t see any damage so I recon got off lightly and that rear bumpers are much stronger than they appear..Reminds me of the old Volvos with sprung bumpers.
I wish i had £10 for every time i have heard that over the last 40 years concerning volvos ! There is a big beam across the rear just behind the bumper cover . It may have been pushed forwards a bit in the middle but i doubt there is any more damage , they will have to take the bumper cover off to check , If you have a towbar there is absorbent material between bumper cover and massive tow bar beam . ( the standard beam is removed when a towbar is fitted , only on new XC90 though )
Old Mar 17th, 2017, 21:30   #12
Whyman
Premier Member

You are right to get it checked. The plastic "bumpers" are designed to spring back and can give the impression of little or no damage but can hide major structural damage which will have weakened the structural integrity of the vehicle.
Old Mar 18th, 2017, 10:56   #13
neon
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB-UK View Post
Not that I am aware of.
When I queried why it had been recorded as a "claim" they just said it was routine practice, and the info is shared with other insurers. They said it doesn't matter if it was a no-fault claim, I still had to declare it when applying for insurance.
That was more than 5 years ago so it isn't asked for now.

So I won't be doing that again.
If you are in an accident and it is the other persons fault and it is reported, your insurance premium will go up.
I have queried this strongly in the past and they just say although it was not your fault, we consider you a higher risk of having a claim. Although I think insurance companies commit robbery I can sort of understand their logic, for example:
If you are someone who brakes hard a lot and a car hits you from behind then it is their fault, but you increase the risk by braking hard all the time and it sort of indicates your type of driving style.

Last edited by neon; Mar 18th, 2017 at 10:59.
neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2017, 11:05   #14
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neon View Post
If you are in an accident and it is the other persons fault and it is reported, your insurance premium will go up.
I have queried this strongly in the past and they just say although it was not your fault, we consider you a higher risk of having a claim. Although I think insurance companies commit robbery I can sort of understand their logic, for example:
If you are someone who brakes hard a lot and a car hits you from behind then it is their fault, but you increase the risk by braking hard all the time and it sort of indicates your type of driving style.
yes there must be some kind of logic in it .. I have managed to avoid any contact with other cars in 500,000+ miles over 40 years .. and by avoid i mean braking , or accelerating or making a steering diversion .. When you look at crash videos on you tube it seems many of the drivers make no attempt to avoid anything , There is time to do something about it , but they continue in a straight line and have their crash .
Old Mar 18th, 2017, 11:07   #15
neon
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
yes there must be some kind of logic in it .. I have managed to avoid any contact with other cars in 500,000+ miles over 40 years .. and by avoid i mean braking , or accelerating or making a steering diversion .. When you look at crash videos on you tube it seems many of the drivers make no attempt to avoid anything , There is time to do something about it , but they continue in a straight line and have their crash .
Yes, also my motorbike days taught me to read the road ahead and I went on a course for company car drivers that taught how to have a good idea if the car at a junction had clocked you and not to arrive at the junction at the same time etc. All ways of reducing the risk even though it would not be your fault.
Any incident seems unfair, especially if it is an idiot, as even if it is not your fault, you lose out, with higher premiums, time and effort dealing with the incident and your car has been resprayed/repaired.

Last edited by neon; Mar 18th, 2017 at 11:19.
neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2017, 12:26   #16
AB-UK
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neon View Post
Perhaps - but when you are stopped at a red traffic light and someone drives into your rear ......... ???

Insurance companies are licenced to thieve. They're happy to take premiums from the vast majority who never make a claim, build enormous scyscrapers in the centre of most major capital cities, pay equally enormous salaries and bonuses to their executives based on their profits. Then when they are required to make a payout, instead of taking it on the chin, they increase premiums to pay for the payouts so that their profits, salaries and bonuses are not affected.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2017, 13:39   #17
neon
Premier Member

Quote:
Perhaps - but when you are stopped at a red traffic light and someone drives into your rear ......... ???

Insurance companies are licenced to thieve. They're happy to take premiums from the vast majority who never make a claim, build enormous scyscrapers in the centre of most major capital cities, pay equally enormous salaries and bonuses to their executives based on their profits. Then when they are required to make a payout, instead of taking it on the chin, they increase premiums to pay for the payouts so that their profits, salaries and bonuses are not affected.
Lol, now I have started something.
Old Mar 18th, 2017, 14:27   #18
AB-UK
Premier Member

Sorry 'bout that.
I feel much better now
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2017, 12:31   #19
BARNEYROVER
VOC Member

Smile

Back end inspected at dealers yesterday and everything appears ok. One or two minor scratches which will polish out so think I got away better than first thought. Also got latest update installed whilst there, took a good hour. So far not noticed much difference.
BARNEYROVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2020, 12:45   #20
DriverDen

Default Legal cover claim

Quote:
Not that I am aware of.
When I queried why it had been recorded as a "claim" they just said it was routine practice, and the info is shared with other insurers. They said it doesn't matter if it was a no-fault claim, I still had to declare it when applying for insurance.
That was more than 5 years ago so it isn't asked for now.

So I won't be doing that again.
Apparently if you have legal cover you can claim the increased premiums you will have to pay for the 5 years after a non fault accident from the 3rd parties insurance.

I only found this out after I have renewed my insurance following a 3rd party hitting my car while parked.

Also apparently it is not a good idea to deal directly with the 3rd parties insurance, you should go via your own insurance or a claims manager even if 3rd party insurance contacts you.
Previous - XC60 D5, 2 x V70, Santa Fe, Mondeo, Primera, Metro
DriverDen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DriverDen For This Useful Post: