Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

"Anti Skid Service Required" in rain, clockspring + SAS done

Views : 1601

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 19th, 2020, 09:34   #1
ilmiont
VOC Member

Default "Anti Skid Service Required" in rain, clockspring + SAS done

The nuisance "ANTI SKID SERVICE REQUIRED" is back on my car already.

It was doing it on every startup when I bought the car a few weeks ago.

Last week, I had a new clockspring and steering angle sensor. I've been about 120 miles since then on four separate trips without the message appearing, including a lot of deliberate lock-to-lock in empty carparks.

One of those trips midweek ended up in torrential rain amid a thunderstorm - but it had been dry when I set out.

---

Rained almost all day yesterday and was lightly raining, damp and chilly this morning.

Got in the car, turned the steering wheel a little bit and got "ANTI SKID TEMPORARILY OFF". It went away, came up again, as I pulled away; I turned around in the road with it and it flashed up again, then as I properly drove away up appeared "ANTI SKID SERVICE REQUIRED" which remained stored in the DIM messages for the 2 mile drive.

Only change since the other day that I can note is that it's a properly wet start. After the work last week, garage informed me they also saw the "service required" come up once while they were moving the car around, but it never came up again (and hasn't at all until today since I've got it back).

---

The destination for today's drive was... the garage! Mainly to have my brakes looked at again (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=306974).

I started it on the forecourt in front of the owner and got the messages to reappear. So it's probably being plugged into VIDA as we speak to see what codes are being thrown up but I'd like to have an idea of what's wrong before they call me (I hate having a problem without knowing the solution and might give me some time to plan my response).

Likely causes now? Evidently the clockspring/SAS have made a big improvement but there's still something not quite right it seems.

Last edited by ilmiont; Jun 19th, 2020 at 09:41.
ilmiont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2020, 16:18   #2
oragex
Premier Member

Any leaks on the CEM ? May look with a flashlight for any wet or dry traces
Is it AWD ? Also look at the reluctor rings
Old Jun 19th, 2020, 17:30   #3
ilmiont
VOC Member

Picked it up from the garage, which advised me to leave it for the time being and see if it keeps on recurring! The codes stored in VIDA apparently indicated communications issue with the SAS or something like that, but this seems unlikely as the SAS/clockspring were done last week and all the connections are good (in fact I asked them particularly to check all connections were good as I'm aware bad connections can be the cause of all this).

I agreed to take the car back for the time being and as I have now received my VCX Nano + VIDA (from cheshired5 on these forums), I'll be able to retrieve and monitor the codes myself from hereon.

On leaving the forecourt, I got "ANTI SKID TEMPORARILY OFF" again, which went away almost immediately - no "ANTI SKID SERVICE REQUIRED" and the "temporarily off" didn't reappear on the way home.

It's now dry on the roads and the car should be mostly dry too having been in the workshop or on the forecourt all day. I do suspect this is weather related as even before the clockspring/SAS change, the messages were particularly insistent during rain.

My car has a sunroof and after some searching it seems as though sunroof drains can cause this, although I thought I read at some point that this was applicable to XC90s with yaw sensor under the passenger seat.

Does the S60 have the same issue with sunroof drains causing water to accumulate around the yaw sensor and is it still under the seat on an S60? My sunroof seal looks good though.

---

Quote:
Originally Posted by oragex View Post
Any leaks on the CEM ?
Excuse me for I'm still new here but where do I find it?

Quote:
Is it AWD ?
No

Quote:
Also look at the reluctor rings
Erm.. don't even know what/where they are at this point! But I'll have a search.. slowly but surely learning my way around my car.
Old Jun 19th, 2020, 20:09   #4
oragex
Premier Member

You can google up 'volvo CEM' for example, have a read on forum links, there is a lot of information. Sunroof clogged drains usually cause water to leak under the carpets (and also on the curtain airbags), worth cleaning the front drains. Does the garage know well these cars ? The clock spring sensor comes with a screw that needs removed and the sensor most not be rotated prior to installing it
Old Jun 19th, 2020, 21:28   #5
Oil Burner

Evening,

I think I posted in a separate thread about my Anti-Skid Service required message, but just to compare with yours;

Mine only appears when switching on the ignition along with the yellow warning triangle.
I press the read button and it goes away.
It has never returned during a journey or during manoeuvring of the car, be that small or large steering inputs.
Just at every startup.

No other symptoms to report, no other warning lights ie EML or ABS and the car drives, steers and brakes as normal.

Not had the codes read yet, but will do at the next service in August.
Oil Burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2020, 08:56   #6
happy diver
Active Member Moment

It was such a relief to finally pull this thing apart and
splash some tape onto the relevant warning windows
and then skid my car to my hearts content, peacfully

and put a screw in the blue beeper thing to shut it up
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CAMERA SNAPS!!! 223a.jpg (234.3 KB, 20 views)

20,000 leagues under the sea diving to adventure
in a silent world with my ceiling the waves...Emile
happy diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2020, 10:34   #7
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmiont View Post
Picked it up from the garage, which advised me to leave it for the time being and see if it keeps on recurring! The codes stored in VIDA apparently indicated communications issue with the SAS or something like that, but this seems unlikely as the SAS/clockspring were done last week and all the connections are good (in fact I asked them particularly to check all connections were good as I'm aware bad connections can be the cause of all this).

I agreed to take the car back for the time being and as I have now received my VCX Nano + VIDA (from cheshired5 on these forums), I'll be able to retrieve and monitor the codes myself from hereon.

On leaving the forecourt, I got "ANTI SKID TEMPORARILY OFF" again, which went away almost immediately - no "ANTI SKID SERVICE REQUIRED" and the "temporarily off" didn't reappear on the way home.

It's now dry on the roads and the car should be mostly dry too having been in the workshop or on the forecourt all day. I do suspect this is weather related as even before the clockspring/SAS change, the messages were particularly insistent during rain.

My car has a sunroof and after some searching it seems as though sunroof drains can cause this, although I thought I read at some point that this was applicable to XC90s with yaw sensor under the passenger seat.

Does the S60 have the same issue with sunroof drains causing water to accumulate around the yaw sensor and is it still under the seat on an S60? My sunroof seal looks good though.

---

Excuse me for I'm still new here but where do I find it?

No

Erm.. don't even know what/where they are at this point! But I'll have a search.. slowly but surely learning my way around my car.
reluctor ring a toothed ring on wheel hubs .failiure usualy caused by rust causeing splits . cheap repair abt £5 each
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2020, 17:31   #8
ilmiont
VOC Member

Got it hooked up to VIDA, confirmed the code is

Quote:
BCM-0109 Communication between control units Communicational problems with SAS, internal fault
I've also seen, once,

Quote:
SAS-000E Steering wheel angle sensor Internal fault
---

Cleared the codes out, then "ANTI SKID TEMPORARILY OFF" reappeared within a few seconds (with the car just parked in ignition key II, engine off) and the BCM-0109 came back in VIDA. Car's parked today with steering wheel a bit to the left.

I still suspect this is weather related and the car hasn't quite dried through as it did work perfectly after the clockspring/SAS change.

Each time I clear the code and "ANTI SKID TEMPORARILY OFF" comes back, there's kind of a little clunk noise at the same time.
Old Jun 20th, 2020, 20:02   #9
ilmiont
VOC Member

Worked out how to access sensor values in VIDA.

Steering angle sensor is indeed giving bad readings.

Seems to be fine turning left, but turning right, above 110 degrees, the signal seems to drop out and then goes haywire.

What I don't understand is why everything worked flawlessly for five days after new clockspring/SAS. Perhaps the weather change is a coincidence but I still don't see how an SAS could fail after 150 miles ... likely culprit? Could it just be software?

Work's still under warranty from the garage so hopefully will be able to sort it out.
Old Jun 20th, 2020, 21:09   #10
ascott1
VOC Member

Default Software upgrade for Steering Angle Sensor?

I've seen discussion in the past about a suggested software upgrade to improve parameters to cope with sensor wear - there's a thread about XC90 with this at https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=109468

I've got the same annoying message on a V70, goes out when reset and keeps passing MOTs this way, but comes on fairly regularly. I'd assumed this software upgrade would cost a fortune from a dealer so never asked. Is there a cheap way to get one?
940 SE 2.0 MY93, 2008-12; 960 SE 2.5 MY96, 2005-11;
V70 2.5 10v MY98, 2003-05; 740 2.3ET MY90, 1994-2003.
ascott1 is offline   Reply With Quote