Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fuel Filter Bypass Question

Views : 554

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 7th, 2020, 10:02   #1
Stellaman94

Default Fuel Filter Bypass Question

Hi everyone, enjoyed my time yesterday having my fuel filter housing leak diesel all over the floor, it seemed to be leaking from the o ring at first, I removed the cup, retightened to see on the odd chance it was loose (it wasn't, it was tight!) car started, ran perfectly for about 5 minutes then BANG! Cup hit the floor hard (no damage) and fuel filter ran across the car park. From what I've gathered the plastic threads have weakened over time, why volvo would use plastic to cater to seriously high pressures I don't know.

Anyways, I got a local brokers situated on the A1 who are very good, I want to try and bypass the fuel filter to get me about short term. I've read a few articles on the forums about some members doing it but they haven't really explained how.

Is it simply just source an inline filter and connect the pipes to them or is it a little more involved, if so, which one would you recommend as I'm curious the pressures would make them explode.

Last edited by Stellaman94; Aug 7th, 2020 at 10:31.
Stellaman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2020, 10:13   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellaman94 View Post
Hi everyone, enjoyed my time yesterday having my fuel filter housing leak diesel all over the floor, it seemed to be leaking from the o ring at first, I removed the cup, retightened to see on the odd chance it was loose (it wasn't, it was tight!) car started, ran perfectly for about 5 minutes then BANG! Cup hit the floor hard (no damage) and fuel filter ran across the car park. From what I've gathered the plastic threads have weakened over time, why volvo would use plastic to cater to seriously high pressures I don't know.

Anyways, I got a local brokers situated on the A1 who are very good, I want to try and bypass the fuel filter to get me about short term. I've read a few articles on the forums about some members doing it but they really explained how.

Is it simply just source an inline filter and connect the pipes to them or is it a little more involved, if so, which one would you recommend as I'm curious the pressures would make them explode.
You have a unique problem with yours , overtightened and cracked probably this has not happened before .. The pressure is only 5 bar max it's well within the capability of the plastic vessel , these have been around for 20 years now .. .
Don't ever run without the filter , the finest speck of dirt could cost you over £1000.maybe £2000 if it gets in an injector.
Old Aug 7th, 2020, 10:19   #3
Stellaman94

Hi clan, thanks for the response, I only ever do up my filters hand tight, but that's not to say the previous didn't go over board, I'll try source a spare today, I know my local breakers have 06 plate d5s in so hopefully it'll match the late 07s.

I just had the assumption from skimming through the forums they weaken over time and ultimately just blow off.
Old Aug 7th, 2020, 10:24   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Hi clan, thanks for the response, I only ever do up my filters hand tight, but that's not to say the previous didn't go over board, I'll try source a spare today, I know my local breakers have 06 plate d5s in so hopefully it'll match the late 07s.

I just had the assumption from skimming through the forums they weaken over time and ultimately just blow off.
yes a second hand one will be fine . don't believe everything you read on the internet , in fact its best not to believe anything ! They give no problem whatsoever in my daily experience with them over the last 20 years ..
Old Aug 7th, 2020, 10:33   #5
Stellaman94

Would you recommend putting a fresh filter in the second hand one whiles it's off the car, also I'm guessing the two bolts that hold it to the body are sat at the top and not the bottom, sounds like a nightmare job while jacked up on the drive.
Old Aug 7th, 2020, 12:39   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Would you recommend putting a fresh filter in the second hand one whiles it's off the car, also I'm guessing the two bolts that hold it to the body are sat at the top and not the bottom, sounds like a nightmare job while jacked up on the drive.
they hook on the side of the tanks plastic bracket depending on the year .. have a close look , yes make sure it is spotless inside and a new filter ..
Old Aug 7th, 2020, 14:27   #7
Crash Bang

About 3 years ago I had one let loose while towing a caravan through Germany.

Cost a bomb with the recovery and subsequent replacement of a new filter housing at the agents. Perhaps someone had cross threaded the filter housing at sometime or other and as I had lost my sense of humour by then I didnt bother even trying to establish the cause.

Do yourself a favour, if you dont have a fuel filter "spanner" buy one it makes the job a LOT easier.
Crash Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2020, 16:17   #8
Stellaman94

Hi crash bang, I managed to get a lift to the local breakers and got a housing for £25, nightmare getting it off as the bolts on the tank were rusty and getting a ratchet on the bolts were a chore where the housings mounted, haven't fitted it yet but today's heat is too much.
Old Aug 7th, 2020, 18:02   #9
Crash Bang

That seems a great price.

As regards the "o" ring that fits near the top, I am sure I read somewhere that you should NOT rub a bit of diesel on it when fitting as it swells when it comes into contact with diesel.

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere but maybe someone can confirm this or not for you/us.
Crash Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2020, 16:01   #10
Willow place

I have just changed mine (Metal canister) and just checked the old one which I used Diesel on the "O" ring and there is NO swelling .
Willow place is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Willow place For This Useful Post: