Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

T8 Charging Problems

Views : 2861

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 7th, 2020, 15:57   #1
Moonlanders

Default T8 Charging Problems

I am experiencing difficulties on occasion charging my XC90. When I plug into the car, the light turns yellow, but does not then go to green when I plug the other end into the PodPoint. On the occasions it does work first time, there feels a slight click when I insert, but this is not there when it doesn't work. I've just spent 20 minutes trying and cannot get it to work this time at all.

Anyone else come across this or have any suggestions? I drive to the Netherlands for 2 weeks on Monday so won't be getting much use out of the battery during that time, but reliability would be nice.

Thanks.
Old Aug 7th, 2020, 20:00   #2
Adrian888

I understood you should connect to the power supply before plugging into the car. Maybe that has something to do with it? I dont worry about the light colour too much, i check the instrument display shows it is charging.
Adrian888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2020, 21:26   #3
Moonlanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian888 View Post
I understood you should connect to the power supply before plugging into the car. Maybe that has something to do with it? I dont worry about the light colour too much, i check the instrument display shows it is charging.
Thanks. I've tried both ways for which I connect first when it doesn't work. On the occasions it does, I couldn't tell you what order I connect them in! I did try again later this afternoon and it worked first time.

I did have the boot open when I first tried, could that make a difference?
Old Aug 7th, 2020, 21:34   #4
dling

I’m always doing the opposite way. First the car then the power... so one of us is doing it wrong

I’ve seen the yellow light on some public charging stations with touch screen where you would have to press a start button to start the charging. It always stays yellow (in my view it means connected but not charging) until I press the start charge button on the station... so in your case it might mean there is some communication error between the two...

Just my two cents
dling is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dling For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 7th, 2020, 21:36   #5
dling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlanders View Post
I did have the boot open when I first tried, could that make a difference?
Definitely not. 90% of charges I open the boot pick up the cable start charging then close and lock the car from the boot button
The Following User Says Thank You to dling For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 7th, 2020, 21:39   #6
Moonlanders

Dling, I was in Interlaken last week and was surprised by how many XC90's I saw compared to driving around the UK. Is it a very popular car in Switzerland?
Old Aug 7th, 2020, 22:08   #7
dling

Well, Swiss people first they keep the money in a Swiss bank (so they are safe) then they buy an insurance for anything you could think of, just to be safe and last they need a car to be safe... so what brand could that be?

Sorry (to all Swiss people) for stereotyping . I’m an immigrant here and I did exactly the same

It’s actually a pretty popular brand and Volvo Switzerland is doing an amazing job to make your life easy. For example all Volvos (although somehow hidden in the price) come with 5 years warranty and 10 years free service, the first three of them even have all the parts (except liquids) included. At my 1 year service I complained about the quality of the auto wipers being degraded and they just replaced the blades for free.
Old Aug 7th, 2020, 23:23   #8
Moonlanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by dling View Post
Well, Swiss people first they keep the money in a Swiss bank (so they are safe) then they buy an insurance for anything you could think of, just to be safe and last they need a car to be safe... so what brand could that be?

Sorry (to all Swiss people) for stereotyping . I’m an immigrant here and I did exactly the same

It’s actually a pretty popular brand and Volvo Switzerland is doing an amazing job to make your life easy. For example all Volvos (although somehow hidden in the price) come with 5 years warranty and 10 years free service, the first three of them even have all the parts (except liquids) included. At my 1 year service I complained about the quality of the auto wipers being degraded and they just replaced the blades for free.
Interesting, thanks. From other posts on here it sounds like a level of service sadly missing from many UK dealerships.
Old Aug 9th, 2020, 12:49   #9
TimNiceBut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dling View Post
I’m always doing the opposite way. First the car then the power... so one of us is doing it wrong

I’ve seen the yellow light on some public charging stations with touch screen where you would have to press a start button to start the charging. It always stays yellow (in my view it means connected but not charging) until I press the start charge button on the station... so in your case it might mean there is some communication error between the two...

Just my two cents
You are doing it wrong.

My home charger is tethered, making it impossible to connect to the car first. Also, all the public points I've used state to connect to the supply port first and the car port second. I can't imagine that they're all suggesting the wrong order of connection.
TimNiceBut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2020, 13:18   #10
dling

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNiceBut View Post
I can't imagine that they're all suggesting the wrong order of connection.
Of course not. I was just doing it as per a friends advice 😂
Thanks for the feedback, will switch to this way now