Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Front Speakers intermittent.

Views : 1284

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 4th, 2017, 17:52   #1
krazyChris

Default Front Speakers intermittent.

Afternoon all,

I have a problem with the sound system in my XC90. Basically, there is no sound from any of the front speakers...

I've gone through the audio settings with no luck. is there any solutions
to this problem?

Volvo XC90 D5 active (manual)
krazyChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2017, 16:18   #2
binty

Default Just a thought

The speakers connect to the amplifier below the drivers seat.
(3 x 10mm bolts and it its out)
I think all the speakers are in one multi plug. This is also where a bluetooth kit would be fitted to interrupt the signal. Worth a quick look to see if anything has been left in there.

If that connection is good you can check the speaker outputs from the amp with a meter to see if they are live.

The amp is driven by a fibre optic link, but if rears are ok it suggests that is not broken, and any other solutions are I am afraid well above my pay grade but sure someone will know the solution.

Good luck.
Mercedes SLK 250d 9G auto AMG line (Black)
Previous Volvos C30 Rdesign 2.0D (black), C30 Rdesign 1.6D (black), S60 T5 (black)
binty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2017, 17:25   #3
SwissXC90
Premier Member

When looking for intermittent speaker problems always do the following:

1. Check Faber and Balance controls, make sure centered
2. Use Fader and Balance to isolate each speaker in turn and check each speakers sound output
3. Cheak multiple audio sources: AM, FM, CD to verify the problem is not related to one source
4. The front door speakers have a midrange and a tweeter on the same speaker wire: if tweeter works but midrange does not, then the speaker is faulty (both are fed from the same speaker wire)
5. If door speakers are completely silent, unplug speaker wires at amplifier and check for continuitiy of speaker wiring. You should see a 2 ohm or 4 ohm speaker at the end of the wires when measuring with a multimeter
6. If all of the above is OK then if can only be a faulty amplifier, you will need to replace it.

BEWARE of the Volvo anti-theft security system, the amplifier serial number is registered in the audio system controller and an amplifier from another car will be rejected by the system as the serial number will be wrong. The Volvo VIDA software can pair a new amplifier to the stereo system, you will need to visit a dealer for this.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2021, 15:13   #4
boombox

Quote:
The Volvo VIDA software can pair a new amplifier to the stereo system, you will need to visit a dealer for this.
Can it be done DIY if you have a VIDA laptop?
boombox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2021, 16:33   #5
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombox View Post
Can it be done DIY if you have a VIDA laptop?
Yes, if you are a registered Volvo service dealer that has a fully paid and licenced VIDA subscription

Which most private people are not....
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2021, 16:20   #6
foxhole
XC90 54 plate dark green.

Is battery ok, had lots of problems with audio in my old XC90, speakers dropping in and out, loss of all audio. New battery solved it all.
foxhole is offline   Reply With Quote