Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 836718

Replies : 6336

Users Viewing This Thread : Paulk

Old Feb 27th, 2021, 07:58   #311
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
... still no bids on the car covered in paint that once belonged to the RAF, but the seller now threatens:

"Volvo 240 GLT Saloon 1989 LAST CHANCE TO BUY, keeping car if does not sell!"

... that will show them!
You can't fault his logic Alan!

He won't have a lot of choice about keeping it if it doesn't sell! Not unless he plans on giving it away!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 27th, 2021, 09:30   #312
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
You can't fault his logic Alan!

He won't have a lot of choice about keeping it if it doesn't sell! Not unless he plans on giving it away!
The odd thing is that he says he needs a commuter car now Dave - if he tries using a 30 year old 240 to commute any distance his fuel bill will soon exceed anything he saves by not selling at a sensible price. £1000 worth of fuel is about 170 gallons, or enough to take that Volvo about 4,000 miles - he may regret not getting that Ford Fiesta diesel :-)
Old Feb 27th, 2021, 09:44   #313
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
The odd thing is that he says he needs a commuter car now Dave - if he tries using a 30 year old 240 to commute any distance his fuel bill will soon exceed anything he saves by not selling at a sensible price. £1000 worth of fuel is about 170 gallons, or enough to take that Volvo about 4,000 miles - he may regret not getting that Ford Fiesta diesel :-)
He may regret it even more when diesel goes up to £2/L though. It's on it's way there, the usual difference is at least 10p/L more than the petrol counterpart. I can only see it going one way though.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Feb 27th, 2021, 11:08   #314
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
He may regret it even more when diesel goes up to £2/L though. It's on it's way there, the usual difference is at least 10p/L more than the petrol counterpart. I can only see it going one way though.
Not really Dave, at Morrisons (nearest for me) petrol is 112p/litre and diesel 115p/litre. Across the nation the difference only seems to be 2-3p/litre:

https://www.arval.co.uk/about-arval/...uk-fuel-prices

... and that is for regular gas of course, the premium I put in the Porsche is more expensive than diesel.

I'm not so worried about this, I can't see why diesel is ever going to be much more expensive than gas (it would put up haulage prices and so cause a bit of inflation on food if the government changed the tax regime much).
Old Feb 27th, 2021, 11:13   #315
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Not really Dave, at Morrisons (nearest for me) petrol is 112p/litre and diesel 115p/litre. Across the nation the difference only seems to be 2-3p/litre:

https://www.arval.co.uk/about-arval/...uk-fuel-prices

... and that is for regular gas of course, the premium I put in the Porsche is more expensive than diesel.

I'm not so worried about this, I can't see why diesel is ever going to be much more expensive than gas (it would put up haulage prices and so cause a bit of inflation on food if the government changed the tax regime much).
Prices at my local BP a week or two back :

Petrol/L Diesel/L
119.9p 129.9p "Normal"
122.9p 132.9p "Premium"

Old Feb 27th, 2021, 14:05   #316
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Prices at my local BP a week or two back :

Petrol/L Diesel/L
119.9p 129.9p "Normal"
122.9p 132.9p "Premium"
I can't explain why there should be such a difference in Lakenheath Dave - everywhere else is a few pence.
Old Feb 27th, 2021, 16:53   #317
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I can't explain why there should be such a difference in Lakenheath Dave - everywhere else is a few pence.
Probably fewer diseasels round here (although still too many for my liking!) Alan, most of the USAF personnel/families have petrol vehicles, Dodge Chargers and Challengers, Chevy Camaros and Malibus, Honda/Acura Accords/Legends and then a variety of SUVs including Cherokees, Honda Pilots/Ridgelines, Toyota Tacomas, Dodge RAMs, Ford Rangers/F150s, Chrysler Grand Voyagers and so on.
Even if they have UK models, primarily they're petrol.

There's a smattering of other vehicles such as Mustangs, Mondeos, Civics but strangely not many Volvos. I've seen a few diesel USA vehicles such as a LWB Dodge RAM V8 diesel pick-up bu they're the exception rather than the norm. I'm guessing round here the amount of diseasel sold doesn't equate to the amount of profit the filling stations need to see on it to make it viable so the price goes up.

A couple of weeks back a friend was complaining about filling her Astra diesel up at Tescos - 129.9p/L and that was at Swaffham so doesn't even have the same USA influence or at least nowhere near it. When i suggested she should switch to BP she wasn't intersted at first until she found Ultimate Diesel was in fact cheaper (128.9p/L) and she tried it then complained i hadn't told her about it before. I'd tried but she wouldn't listen and she's now getting better economy and performance and probably won't kill her DPF and its sensors so quickly again!

Old Feb 27th, 2021, 19:27   #318
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Probably fewer diseasels round here (although still too many for my liking!) Alan, most of the USAF personnel/families have petrol vehicles, Dodge Chargers and Challengers, Chevy Camaros and Malibus, Honda/Acura Accords/Legends and then a variety of SUVs including Cherokees, Honda Pilots/Ridgelines, Toyota Tacomas, Dodge RAMs, Ford Rangers/F150s, Chrysler Grand Voyagers and so on.
Even if they have UK models, primarily they're petrol.

There's a smattering of other vehicles such as Mustangs, Mondeos, Civics but strangely not many Volvos. I've seen a few diesel USA vehicles such as a LWB Dodge RAM V8 diesel pick-up bu they're the exception rather than the norm. I'm guessing round here the amount of diseasel sold doesn't equate to the amount of profit the filling stations need to see on it to make it viable so the price goes up.

A couple of weeks back a friend was complaining about filling her Astra diesel up at Tescos - 129.9p/L and that was at Swaffham so doesn't even have the same USA influence or at least nowhere near it. When i suggested she should switch to BP she wasn't intersted at first until she found Ultimate Diesel was in fact cheaper (128.9p/L) and she tried it then complained i hadn't told her about it before. I'd tried but she wouldn't listen and she's now getting better economy and performance and probably won't kill her DPF and its sensors so quickly again!
I don’t know Dave, when we lived at Pentney (near King’s Lynn) I frequently filled up at the Tesco store in KL and never found it any more expensive than Northamptonshire (otherwise I’d have filled up this end; we had houses in Norfolk and Northamptonshire). I just can’t explain why Swaffham (only 15 miles away) would be so much more expensive for diesel.
I have a liking for diesel cars, I like the torque and thermal efficiency (and hence 58 MPG from a 2 litre estate car). I always run my Skoda diesel on supermarket (mostly Morrisons) regular diesel, and have had no problems in 70,000 miles (the MoT garage does a free DPF check every year) - I think the reason why is that I only use it for longer trips and working hard (towing trailers and with heavier loads), I have the Porsche and the RB (both gas) for shorter and lower load journeys.
I still can’t explain this anomaly - for me running a diesel still makes a lot of sense (the £20/year tax helps as well).
Alan

Last edited by Othen; Feb 27th, 2021 at 19:30.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 27th, 2021, 20:03   #319
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I don’t know Dave, when we lived at Pentney (near King’s Lynn) I frequently filled up at the Tesco store in KL and never found it any more expensive than Northamptonshire (otherwise I’d have filled up this end; we had houses in Norfolk and Northamptonshire). I just can’t explain why Swaffham (only 15 miles away) would be so much more expensive for diesel.
I have a liking for diesel cars, I like the torque and thermal efficiency (and hence 58 MPG from a 2 litre estate car). I always run my Skoda diesel on supermarket (mostly Morrisons) regular diesel, and have had no problems in 70,000 miles (the MoT garage does a free DPF check every year) - I think the reason why is that I only use it for longer trips and working hard (towing trailers and with heavier loads), I have the Porsche and the RB (both gas) for shorter and lower load journeys.
I still can’t explain this anomaly - for me running a diesel still makes a lot of sense (the £20/year tax helps as well).
Alan
I've always found Swaffham (and Dereham too) much dearer on fuel than most other places around, never known why. I think it's Swaffham has one of the most expensive LPG outlets, about 80p/L when most other places are 50-60p/L.

I know from reports on another forum that areas in the North West (and possibly others) have supermarket prices 2-3p/L higher than the "big three" brands (BP, Shell & Esso) and i have been told diesel will go up considerably in the future by comparison to petrol. The govt have finally realised the advice they were given in the early 80s about the health problems it causes was based on research so i dread to think about the health problems the country is going to have in the future.
I also have at least one problem caused by diesels, possibly two. The first is inconvenient, could be dangerous/life-threatening in certain circumstances, second is possibly life-threatening but thankfully nobody has mentioned the other big thing that diesel is linked with for adverse health. I hope they never do!

Old Feb 27th, 2021, 20:40   #320
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
I've always found Swaffham (and Dereham too) much dearer on fuel than most other places around, never known why. I think it's Swaffham has one of the most expensive LPG outlets, about 80p/L when most other places are 50-60p/L.

I know from reports on another forum that areas in the North West (and possibly others) have supermarket prices 2-3p/L higher than the "big three" brands (BP, Shell & Esso) and i have been told diesel will go up considerably in the future by comparison to petrol. The govt have finally realised the advice they were given in the early 80s about the health problems it causes was based on research so i dread to think about the health problems the country is going to have in the future.
I also have at least one problem caused by diesels, possibly two. The first is inconvenient, could be dangerous/life-threatening in certain circumstances, second is possibly life-threatening but thankfully nobody has mentioned the other big thing that diesel is linked with for adverse health. I hope they never do!
Well Dave, all I can say is that I see no reason why diesel should become any more expensive that gas. It costs no more to produce from crude oil (probably a little less) and its efficiency means it will be the only sensible choice tor commercial vehicles for the rest of my lifetime. That means it would be a very brave government that changed the taxation regime, otherwise the increase in haulage costs leads straight into food prices, and hence inflation.
Diesels have a bad press at the moment (rightly or wrongly, as always with scientists, there are more opinions than there are researchers), but people (and governments) will vote with their wallets - and gas (as well as electric) engined cars are still impractical for commercial vehicles, so we won’t change to them very quickly.
I think we will have to agree to disagree about diesels: I love them (and think their advantages outweigh the disadvantages) and you hate them.