Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Any Advice, Part 2!

Views : 46551

Replies : 671

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 27th, 2021, 17:06   #431
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Glad you're pleased with the end result Chris, well done for persevering and adding another string to your bow!

I think Bob might be right about the bump stop too.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 27th, 2021, 18:30   #432
Chris152

Thanks for pointing that out, Bob - I'd not noticed. The only thing I thought of when I looked at the one on the other side (so we have one) was how it looks like one of those toys (Kongs?) that you fill with food for dogs to play with. I've done an initial search but can't find one for sale. I'll keep looking of course, but if anyone knows who might sell them, let me know? Brookhouse and Classic Swede don't seem to stock them, and I can't find any others at the moment.
Chris152 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris152 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 27th, 2021, 19:53   #433
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris152 View Post
Thanks for pointing that out, Bob - I'd not noticed. The only thing I thought of when I looked at the one on the other side (so we have one) was how it looks like one of those toys (Kongs?) that you fill with food for dogs to play with. I've done an initial search but can't find one for sale. I'll keep looking of course, but if anyone knows who might sell them, let me know? Brookhouse and Classic Swede don't seem to stock them, and I can't find any others at the moment.
I've found one Chris but please sit down before clicking the link!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-666...0/124536387705

I'll try and find a Volvo part number in case it's listed with a different description to "bump stop".

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 27th, 2021, 21:27   #434
Chris152

Ah, well if they're interchangeable, I found one for the Amazon on Brookhouse at £35 (attached pic). What do you think? Looks the same as the one in that link but without the bizarre price tag! Maybe I'll give them a call Monday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bumpstop.jpg (28.2 KB, 7 views)
Chris152 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris152 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 27th, 2021, 22:07   #435
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Lightbulb

That seems to be the one Chris-if it isn't then you can improvise with the fixing bracket regarding the bolt holes etc.
For a tight Lancashire lad the £35 is still a bit heavy for me- you can use any shape rubber you like (no one is going to tell) so I would look around as there must be loads about new/used that can be fitted.
Some here:~
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...tops+&_sacat=0
(Polyurethane will stick these if required)
Regards Bob.
Bob Meadows is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 27th, 2021, 23:18   #436
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

The part numbers on the Amazon (in both senses of the word) match Chris, also just found :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-Ama...1/203267677125

While i was trawling Volvo parts, i found there was an alternative one, only fitted to the saloon. With that in mind i'd avoid trying to mix'n'match and get one that does match.

Old Feb 28th, 2021, 10:10   #437
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Chris, I suggest plan A.

I guess that if you start a thread in the WANTS part of this 240 section of the forum,
probably that will elicit a good priced offer of a fully serviceable used bump stop from one or more members.

Good luck.

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2021, 19:36   #438
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Default Bump Stop Repair:~

1988 Volvo 240 Estate:~
Whilst working on my car I noticed that one of the bump stops had come off- fortunately it had lodged itself on the back axle. This was the drivers side so checked the twin etc. This side was ok but I removed it to double check and clean etc.
After the unit was removed the two brackets have been de-rusted & painted etc. Following my own advice the rubber cone had been stuck back into place with Polyurethane adhesive/sealant, this proved to be strong fix but decided to take it a stage further.
The rubber cones have a hole in the tops that corresponding with the metal fixing plates. A large pattern washer was pushed inside the cones (no bigger than 15mm) next a bolt was dropped into the same and pushed through, a full nut is then tightened on the exposed thread but just enough to start to compress the rubber.
As the bracket sits quite flush with chassis legs you have to cut the nut down to half size- this allows the fixing to go back as normal.
Although the brackets had some rust they are quite substantial in terms of gauge so clean up well- waxoyl the bolt threads plus the underside of the brackets for a longer life.
Hope it helps
Regards Bob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stop 1.jpg (162.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Bump 2.jpg (194.7 KB, 7 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2021, 20:24   #439
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Meadows View Post
1988 Volvo 240 Estate:~
Whilst working on my car I noticed that one of the bump stops had come off- fortunately it had lodged itself on the back axle. This was the drivers side so checked the twin etc. This side was ok but I removed it to double check and clean etc.
After the unit was removed the two brackets have been de-rusted & painted etc. Following my own advice the rubber cone had been stuck back into place with Polyurethane adhesive/sealant, this proved to be strong fix but decided to take it a stage further.
The rubber cones have a hole in the tops that corresponding with the metal fixing plates. A large pattern washer was pushed inside the cones (no bigger than 15mm) next a bolt was dropped into the same and pushed through, a full nut is then tightened on the exposed thread but just enough to start to compress the rubber.
As the bracket sits quite flush with chassis legs you have to cut the nut down to half size- this allows the fixing to go back as normal.
Although the brackets had some rust they are quite substantial in terms of gauge so clean up well- waxoyl the bolt threads plus the underside of the brackets for a longer life.
Hope it helps
Regards Bob.
Good idea adding the bolt, as a "refinement" for the future, could i suggest a buttonhead cap screw instead of the nut and use an extension bar on a shallow socket to fit the nut (Nyloc so it doesn't come undone) on the inside of the rubber cone.

Alternatively, half-nuts are available, half the thickness of normal nuts which would save you a bit of cutting too.

Old Mar 7th, 2021, 21:10   #440
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Difficult one in some respects Dave:~
I had 2/3 ideas on how to do this and one was to drop the bolt in from the top-possibly a counter sunk head to reduce the depth etc.

Trying to do this is awkward because of the length of the cone and the fact that you only have about a 15mm space at the top for a socket to enter- tried it and the same got stuck so plan two- a narrow socket would do it I suppose.
Anyway plan two was straight forward with no real real swearing for a Sunday!
A half nut or cut enables the bracket to sit correctly- (just used the angle grinder & cutting disk) The nut gets pressed up against the chassis leg so quite firm.
Regards Bob.

Last edited by Bob Meadows; Mar 7th, 2021 at 21:12.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post: