Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Aircon pump cycling

Views : 490

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 26th, 2021, 11:22   #1
glengibson

Default Aircon pump cycling

Hi all,

Recently had a new condenser fitted due to refrigerant leak. Now it’s actually sunny today, turned aircon on and doesn’t seem to be getting very cold. I’m presuming it’s not a refrigerant level issue as it was only gassed with the new condenser a couple of weeks ago.
What I have noticed it the compressor is cycling. On for approx 5 - 6 seconds then off for about 12- 15 seconds.

So my thinking is: either compressor/clutch or thermal expansion valve??

Any input on this would be great thanks 🙏🏻
glengibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2021, 12:02   #2
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

The "duty cycle" of the compressor is controlled by the temperature of the evaporator (which is the heat exchanger behind the dash which does the cooling). The compressor will be engaged and disengaged to keep the evaporator cool enough to achieve the desired cabin temperature but not so cold it is likely to ice up (ice crystals form and block the airflow).

On a mild (rather than hot) day with only minimal cooling required - short cycling would be quite normal.

But if the system is low on gas (i.e. a leak in the new condenser or one of the joints that was disturbed) that can cause short cycling too.

If you have VIDA I think you can read off the temperatures and pressure switch status.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 26th, 2021, 13:28   #3
glengibson

Thanks for the response. I do have Vida, will have to have a look and see if I can find it.
Old Feb 27th, 2021, 18:44   #4
reggit
Premier Member

Have you measured the clutch gap on the air in compressor?

They wear and get too wide, it’ll usually start working then cut out after a few minutes. Cheshire D5 has a video on YouTube explaining a repair without taking the compressor out - did this on my old P2 and it restored functionality.
Old Mar 2nd, 2021, 22:33   #5
glengibson

Yes I’ve seen the video but it comes on straight away, works for about 6 seconds then goes for for about10 then on for 6??
Old Mar 2nd, 2021, 22:48   #6
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glengibson View Post
Hi all,

Recently had a new condenser fitted due to refrigerant leak. Now it’s actually sunny today, turned aircon on and doesn’t seem to be getting very cold. I’m presuming it’s not a refrigerant level issue as it was only gassed with the new condenser a couple of weeks ago.
What I have noticed it the compressor is cycling. On for approx 5 - 6 seconds then off for about 12- 15 seconds.

So my thinking is: either compressor/clutch or thermal expansion valve??

Any input on this would be great thanks 🙏🏻
Was the refrigerant definitely re-gassed? You'd presume they would have added refrigerant, but maybe they didn't add enough or maybe put too much in!

They should have pressure tested the system after fitting the new condenser to check for leaks. Maybe you still have a refrigerant leak?

I'd bring the car back to them & tell them the air con isn't working properly, despite getting a new condenser fitted.

Its possible that they didn't add the correct amount of refrigerant, or you still have a leak.

Last edited by Kev0607; Mar 2nd, 2021 at 22:57.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2021, 20:22   #7
oragex
Premier Member

Also, what is the outside temperature at your place ?
Old Mar 7th, 2021, 07:15   #8
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by oragex View Post
Also, what is the outside temperature at your place ?
At the moment typically 4 - 8 degrees C during the day. The metropolis of Kingston Upon Hull is a North Sea port so typically 2 - 4 degrees cooler than the mainland UK. Last weekend there was the most unusual phenomenon of nice weather - 13 degrees at the end of February. Also known as “summer”.
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Old Mar 7th, 2021, 07:18   #9
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
Was the refrigerant definitely re-gassed? You'd presume they would have added refrigerant, but maybe they didn't add enough or maybe put too much in!

They should have pressure tested the system after fitting the new condenser to check for leaks. Maybe you still have a refrigerant leak?

I'd bring the car back to them & tell them the air con isn't working properly, despite getting a new condenser fitted.

Its possible that they didn't add the correct amount of refrigerant, or you still have a leak.
I think that’s the way to go - a quick test of the pressures on the high and low side will tell if the system has enough gas in it and is healthy.
1976 Massey Ferguson 135