Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Vibration

Views : 2471

Replies : 44

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 22nd, 2021, 12:10   #11
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

If it's not happening at multiples of that speed then that points to not a balance issue. I'd look for rubbing, things worn out. Like Adam suggested mounts but maybe also exhaust or something is loose.
Old Feb 22nd, 2021, 13:20   #12
Derek UK
VOC Member

As you say, it could be your prop out of phase or a U/J. Usually the rear one but you'll have to drop it off the diff to check it properly by moving the joint back and forth over it's full movement. Could also be a split rubber centre bearing mount.
Front wheel out of balance normally felt through the steering wheel. Rear ones less easy to check but you can swap them back and forth front to rear and vice versa.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2021, 13:53   #13
packers1712

All very valid comments, thanks, the car does appear to have had the centre bearing/mount renewed reasonably recently, Also I have had the gearbox out recently too to tackle oil leaks and noticed that when refitting the mount it was under some tension to be able to get all of the fixings back into the floor. Does this indicate a fault?
I have checked that the mount in my car visually resembles the one on Brookhouse's site and it does.
The sump in relationship to the front cross member visually looks to be in the correct position I'm not sure that necessarily signs off the engine mounts as good but they also don't look that old.
Next stop is the prop U/J's then, the front one certainly didn't seem stiff or overly worn when I removed the gearbox but I didn't touch the rear so I'll check that next, thinking about it if the centre bearing has been replaced maybe the phasing wasn't checked, something else to confirm!
Just when I thought I was getting to the bottom of the job list too!

Doug.
packers1712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2021, 20:08   #14
142 Guy
Master Member

If you can squeeze your head under the car, with a flashlight it takes about 60 seconds to do a visual check to determine whether you have a u joint phasing problem. Refer to the service manual for a diagram of the correct phasing.

Note that the source of vibration (the forcing function in engineer speak) can be present at all speeds. The amplitude of the forcing function may be relatively small and constant; but, as the frequency of the forcing function changes with speed it may line up with the resonant frequency of some other part of the car which makes the vibration really noticeable. My rear view mirror would buzz like crazy just around 2500 - 3000RPM when I had a brief experiment with 164 engine mounts on my 142. For a historical illumination on the ill effects of the frequency of the forcing function lining up with the resonant frequency of a structure, Google 'Tacoma Narrows bridge collapse'.

An out of phase driveshaft creates a cyclical vibration; but, so would a damaged bearing on a U joint so examination of the U joints for play or binding would also be useful. Tires & wheels out of balance could be a contributor; but, an out of round tire could also be a source of the problem. Switching the tires front to back may alleviate (or change) the problem if the vibration is exciting a resonance is some particular item at the front or back of the car.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2021, 09:00   #15
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by packers1712 View Post
No only between 20-25mph feels like its coming from the rear but I've been done this path before when I've been convinced a fault is front/rear or left/right and when I eventually find the cause its not where I initially thought!
The plan is to change the tyres very soon so when they're done and the wheels are balanced it will eliminate them!

Is the general thought that a vibration at such a low speed isn't prop related?

Doug.
I'm guessing when the gearbox was out, the propshaft centre bearing was unbolted from the floorpan?

If so, crawl underneath and loosen the mounting bolts (4 if memory serves) 1/2 a turn.

Take it for a short drive up to the speed where the vibration occurred and ensure the vibration disappears.
Return home, still driving gently. Crawl under again and tighten the bolts evenly, a little at a time each - DO NOT JACK IT UP TO DO THIS! If really necessary, reverse it onto a pair of ramps but don't jack it.

Once the bolts are tight, take it for a test drive and see if the vibration has gone, sometimes it takes 2 or 3 goes of doing this to eradicate the vibration but usually it's a first time fix.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........

Last edited by Laird Scooby; Feb 23rd, 2021 at 09:18. Reason: Typo
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2021, 09:13   #16
packers1712

Excellent, I'll be trying this at the weekend, thanks!

Doug.
The Following User Says Thank You to packers1712 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 23rd, 2021, 09:19   #17
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Let us know how you get on!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2021, 09:35   #18
packers1712

Will do, as best as I remember the centre bearing only has 2 fixings holding a plate that sandwiches the rubber between the floor and it.

Doug.
Old Feb 25th, 2021, 09:40   #19
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

This is brilliant and something I'd never thought of!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I'm guessing when the gearbox was out, the propshaft centre bearing was unbolted from the floorpan?

If so, crawl underneath and loosen the mounting bolts (4 if memory serves) 1/2 a turn.

Take it for a short drive up to the speed where the vibration occurred and ensure the vibration disappears.
Return home, still driving gently. Crawl under again and tighten the bolts evenly, a little at a time each - DO NOT JACK IT UP TO DO THIS! If really necessary, reverse it onto a pair of ramps but don't jack it.

Once the bolts are tight, take it for a test drive and see if the vibration has gone, sometimes it takes 2 or 3 goes of doing this to eradicate the vibration but usually it's a first time fix.
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swedishandgerman For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 1st, 2021, 08:01   #20
packers1712

So I tried Dave's loosening off the centre bearing fixings trick but unfortunately with no success having said that I only managed to try it once and he did say it may take a couple of goes so I'll try again when I get chance and report back.
I did get the new tyres fitted and that made no difference so it isn't tyre balance related!
I also noticed that my prop appears to be a "cut and shut", I'm guessing its been made using an existing none O/D prop as the car now has an overdrive box but didn't leave the factory with it! All of this suggests to me that the prop will be the cause, Ill keep you all updated!

Doug.