Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Winter Wheels fitted

Views : 9478

Replies : 193

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 23rd, 2018, 22:56   #111
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Feel Old View Post
By far the majority of British drivers do not fit winter tyres and although it may come as a surprise to those who do, they do no all end up in a hedge.
Maybe not in hedges, but we do have a habit of ending up with gridlocked motorways after even quite light snow, and then go on to blame ourselves for going soft compared with the good old days, or our BMWs for being hopeless in the snow. No...it's the tyres that have changed!

(Not being argumentative, by the way - completely happy to agree to disagree! Just stating my thoughts on the subject, as someone who for the second year in a row doesn't have winter tyres, primarily for financial reasons, but is a convert to their significant benefits, and would have a set if finances weren't somewhere the far side of mission-critical!)

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to foggyjames For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 24th, 2018, 10:30   #112
JamesN7

Just had mine fitted...

New wheels by jimbo7, on Flickr
Old Dec 24th, 2018, 10:59   #113
I Feel Old

James, congratulations on your new wheels they do look very good on what is a very nice car.

Looking at them I can certainly see the attraction. Based on the look and your opinions voiced earlier in the thread it causes me to pose the question...what percentage of the decision making progress was down to having a new set of wheels that look good (is it called pimping your ride) versus the honest belief you needed winter tyres?

No offence intended just an honest question poking some harmless fun on an Xmas Eve.

How did it look on the previous wheels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggyjames
Maybe not in hedges, but we do have a habit of ending up with gridlocked motorways after even quite light snow
I hear what you say James, however it remains true that the extent of the gridlock has not been proven to be a consequence of summer tyres. I don't doubt choice of rubber is a contributing factor, but to what extent is really unknown and therefore I'm not comfortable accepting it is purely tyre choice.

Last edited by I Feel Old; Dec 24th, 2018 at 11:23.
I Feel Old is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I Feel Old For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 24th, 2018, 12:01   #114
JamesN7

Quote:
James, congratulations on your new wheels they do look very good on what is a very nice car.

Looking at them I can certainly see the attraction. Based on the look and your opinions voiced earlier in the thread it causes me to pose the question...what percentage of the decision making progress was down to having a new set of wheels that look good (is it called pimping your ride) versus the honest belief you needed winter tyres?

No offence intended just an honest question poking some harmless fun on an Xmas Eve.
None take. It is 100% to have a choice of winter/all-season rubber. But as I previously intimated, it's a preference rather than a need.

Look at it another way - if it were legal to drive on slicks, would you? You don't need tread to drive in the rain...

Quote:
How did it look on the previous wheels?
Volvo S90 by James Noble, on Flickr

J
Old Dec 24th, 2018, 12:30   #115
I Feel Old

Thanks James, you know, I think I prefer the new wheels.
Old Dec 24th, 2018, 15:14   #116
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

You're right, it's hard to quantify the contributory factors. However, having driven with and without, my mind is firmly made up. (Other) James' point about driving on slicks in rain is relevant. We are absolutely talking about that level of difference. When still endowed with a decent amount of tread, they will throw you into your seatbelt when braking hard on snow - at least mine did.

But you're also right that how essential you deem them to be should be a personal choice.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
Old Dec 24th, 2018, 16:30   #117
Driver Dave

Most of the motorway blockages are caused by HGVs who have to stop on a slight incline and then can't get traction to pull away, often due to worn tyres. Most companies wouldn't/ don't change their rubber for winter spec.
Old Dec 24th, 2018, 19:06   #118
I Feel Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggyjames View Post
You're right, it's hard to quantify the contributory factors. However, having driven with and without, my mind is firmly made up.
Reading this thread I think many have done just that and I think it fair to say some of it is subjective, at least, whilst heading towards and emotional opinion at worst.

Quote:
(Other) James' point about driving on slicks in rain is relevant. We are absolutely talking about that level of difference.
I can't help but think that if that were the case the law would prohibit driving in certain conditions on summer tyres, as it legislates for minimum thread in the summer.

Quote:
When still endowed with a decent amount of tread, they will throw you into your seatbelt when braking hard on snow - at least mine did.
I have no reason to doubt what you say, therefore I accept it.

Quote:
But you're also right that how essential you deem them to be should be a personal choice.
I think it should only be personal choice as long as the law permits it to be. If the difference is as critical as is suggested in this thread then it's time to legislate.

Stories about always getting home, never having got stuck (accept behind those on the 'wrong' tyres) in isolation don't carry any weight. The truth is I can tell the same stories (and probably find some interesting pics) about being summer rubber equipped and always having got home.

Those telling the stories about how successful winter tyres have been for them seem to be reaching some irrational conclusions.
The Following User Says Thank You to I Feel Old For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 24th, 2018, 21:13   #119
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

You make a fair point about legislation. Of course our legislative process is famously agile...!

The Germans did make it mandatory, then relaxed it (although woe betide you if you not having them was deemed to be a significant factor in an accident).

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
Old Dec 24th, 2018, 22:03   #120
Crockers
Premier Member

Also it's important to remember that if you can stop quicker on winter tyres then be aware of those following behind who may not