Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

60 MPH Limit on Motorways

Views : 5337

Replies : 121

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 30th, 2020, 01:28   #81
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggbn View Post
Mmm. What an impassioned outburst. Well done. I will go and have a look, but I don't THINK I'm brain dead, but when a complete stranger who will likely never know me brands me thus I feel compelled to check... I wonder what happened to manners and respect in conversation?

There is a delightful irony in being branded brain dead by someone who suggests we should not follow a 'heard'.... 😂

And yes, I am more than aware that I make spelling and grammar mistakes, but I ain't calling anyone brain dead... 😂
manners and respect,,well FYI
respect is EARNT
The Following User Says Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 30th, 2020, 06:06   #82
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
either way you care to argue it
NO still remains the ONLY sensible choice,
the brain deads will NEVER change there minds , brainwashed they are

if you dont GET the point about YET ANOTHER BS restriction on what we can / cant do being a issue , then you ARE part of the problem
same as all the morons bleating about climate change being due to man
IDIOTS brainwashed by the gov / media to "justify" a whole raft of New taxations.

"give them an inch they take a mile" APPLIES to govment
take the Current BS whereby You HAVE no rights, are being controlled in what/where you can/cant do,, being made to wear Masks *that do NOT one single thing to stop corvid,, take the UTTER BS about the TRACK and trace crap being "to protect you" ,, it can NOT protect you ,, but you dumb brain deads swallow it,, THEN dare to have a go at people who THINK for themselves

the human race NEEDS a wake up call,, "google" doesnt have the answer you NEED to work things out for yourselves AND think for yourselves,, NOT have a go at those who DO and do NOT follow the brain dead heard,
I think I mentioned it earlier in the discussion. The M4 at Port Talbot has extended the 50 mph section by a couple of miles, the reason, POLLUTED AIR KILLS.
The polluted air from the blast furnaces will be many times more than the polluted air from the traffic on the M4. However, I comply with the law enforced by average speed cameras as I have no wish to accumulate points and contribute to the evident cash cow the set up is.
I can see the scam, but comply with it for my fiscal well being. Does that make me brain dead, I don't know, it's just a battle I choose to avoid.

In general I do agree with your sentiment however.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 30th, 2020, 07:41   #83
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Quote:
manners and respect,,well FYI
respect is EARNT
Agreed 100%. And calling people brain dead in conversation will never earn it. As Neil Young sang, it doesn't mean that much to me to mean that much to you. I will keep my brain dead thoughts to myself and watch the 'new intelligentsia' from afar, comfortable in my brain dead bubble that I will never be part of such a movement, either by choice or by pressure.

Edit, genuine interest. I afford people respect and treat them manerfully until they prove they do not deserve it. Makes life so much easier, smoother. Do you, genuinely, wander about calling people brain dead etc...until they have 'earned' your respect and approbation, presumably by agreeing with your point of view? I totally agree that genuine, deeply held respect is earned but surely we owe each other the common decency to show a respect for each other's beliefs and opinions in conversation and debate so we can discuss them like gentlemen and deal with different perspectives? We learn more about each other collectively and individually by operating like this. Or, is that a brain dead thought because it does not conform with your world view. I genuinely love and have real respect for few people in life, but I treat others as I would like to be treated by them. It has served me well. Have a great day brother man, gbn

Last edited by biggbn; Sep 30th, 2020 at 08:14.
biggbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2020, 09:16   #84
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

"Temporary" - like Income Tax, which was introduced to pay for one of our disagreements with the French?

The biggest problem after that one is that every car-driver will run at 60mph so you'll get bunching, especially if trying to overtake the heavy running at its governed top speed to pass another, slower heavy. I was told by an advanced driving instructor that a safe overtake requires a 20mph speed differential over the vehicle you're planning to pass, any HGV doing more than 39mph is going to remain in front of me. It then just needs one microsecond's inattention and you've got a multi-vehicle pile up. Add in a "smart motorway" with 4 live running lanes and no hard shoulder...

The emissions "justification" would point to either tree-hugging or localised atmospheric conditions, with no wind to blow away the exhaust fumes. (Think Los Angeles and its smog.)

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 30th, 2020, 18:00   #85
andy_d
Premier Member

those that CHOOSE to head in the sand and ignore it
THANK YOU for shafting the rest of us, DO please remind us to ignore you when YOU need something sorting out.,,,,

Your choice to ignore it,and MY choice to "thank" you for being part of the problem and allowing everyone else to get shafted.

"funny" how people refuse to learn from history ,,,
Old Sep 30th, 2020, 18:18   #86
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Quote:
those that CHOOSE to head in the sand and ignore it
THANK YOU for shafting the rest of us, DO please remind us to ignore you when YOU need something sorting out.,,,,

Your choice to ignore it,and MY choice to "thank" you for being part of the problem and allowing everyone else to get shafted.

"funny" how people refuse to learn from history ,,,
Thanks for that, one of my favourite quotes and one i use often. I could easily use the same quote back at you and others who deny that fossil fuels are finite and alternatives must be sought whilst implying more efficient implementation strategies to ensure the change over is the least disruptive to the planets economy as it can be... Are you honestly comparing driving at a sensible speed to help lower emissions and conserve fossil fuel for our future generations to the third reich? Incredible.
Old Sep 30th, 2020, 18:55   #87
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks for that, one of my favourite quotes and one i use often. I could easily use the same quote back at you and others who deny that fossil fuels are finite and alternatives must be sought whilst implying more efficient implementation strategies to ensure the change over is the least disruptive to the planets economy as it can be... Are you honestly comparing driving at a sensible speed to help lower emissions and conserve fossil fuel for our future generations to the third reich? Incredible.
so your STILL at it
passive aggressive crap to attack and bringing in anything else to look big and cleaver.
hint
brain dead APPLIES
BIG hint
try that in person with the WRONG sort of person and your attitude and manner Will get you treated Exactly as you deserve. be Thankful i consider you nothing but a brain dead who earns himself an ignore , there are LOTS out there in the real world who think and act Very worse and differently to YOUR attitude and antics.
The Following User Says Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 30th, 2020, 19:01   #88
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Quote:
so your STILL at it
passive aggressive crap to attack and bringing in anything else to look big and cleaver.
hint
brain dead APPLIES
BIG hint
try that in person with the WRONG sort of person and your attitude and manner Will get you treated Exactly as you deserve. be Thankful i consider you nothing but a brain dead who earns himself an ignore , there are LOTS out there in the real world who think and act Very worse and differently to YOUR attitude and antics.
Thanks man, much appreciated. Have a great day, gbn

Edit, interesting to see that is how you 'deal with' those that don't agree with you, ignore them rather than continue to debate. That's a great way to live in an insular, divided society. C'est la vie.

Oh, jeez, I just noticed a thinly veiled online threat. Excuse me whilst I absolutely pi$$ myself laughing. I never say anything online I would not say to someone's face, and you clearly do not know me. Perhaps we could debate our differences over a curry and a pint one night...once I've stopped laughing.

Last edited by biggbn; Sep 30th, 2020 at 19:20.
Old Sep 30th, 2020, 19:42   #89
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks man, much appreciated. Have a great day, gbn

Edit, interesting to see that is how you 'deal with' those that don't agree with you, ignore them rather than continue to debate. That's a great way to live in an insular, divided society. C'est la vie.

Oh, jeez, I just noticed a thinly veiled online threat. Excuse me whilst I absolutely pi$$ myself laughing. I never say anything online I would not say to someone's face, and you clearly do not know me. Perhaps we could debate our differences over a curry and a pint one night...once I've stopped laughing.
Mmmm a 20 stone 6ft6 ex doorman who was in the job when doormen were bouncers who launched disruptive customers out the door does stiffle debate somewhat.

Mouthy kids, yeh whatever, Christ it's Mad George, RUNNN.

Had a welding lecturer who was prone to chucking disruptive pupils down the stairs, just launched them from the top. We all treated him with utmosthe respect.

How's lockdown in Dundee these days? We will not make it north of the border this year, had hoped for a half term visit but with the lockdown regs and the wife having been on the shielding list we decided it was a risk too far for her and I would not come and leave her at home. Especially since apparently in England you can leave a lockdown area for holidays. In Wales if your area is locked down its work or shopping only as a rule, exceptions for essential travel only.

Need a break so going inland locally . Provided niether they nor us get locked down in the meantime.

Stay safe big man.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 30th, 2020, 19:55   #90
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
Mmmm a 20 stone 6ft6 ex doorman who was in the job when doormen were bouncers who launched disruptive customers out the door does stiffle debate somewhat.

Mouthy kids, yeh whatever, Christ it's Mad George, RUNNN.

Had a welding lecturer who was prone to chucking disruptive pupils down the stairs, just launched them from the top. We all treated him with utmosthe respect.

How's lockdown in Dundee these days? We will not make it north of the border this year, had hoped for a half term visit but with the lockdown regs and the wife having been on the shielding list we decided it was a risk too far for her and I would not come and leave her at home. Especially since apparently in England you can leave a lockdown area for holidays. In Wales if your area is locked down its work or shopping only as a rule, exceptions for essential travel only.

Need a break so going inland locally . Provided niether they nor us get locked down in the meantime.

Stay safe big man.

Paul.
You too Paul. And am only 6ft. And a tad over 18st down from almost 24!! Just a babee really.

Have handed in my notice to this forum, nowt to do with anyone, just don't have the time these days. If you ever need to get in touch, do so through Bob (dibble)

Last edited by biggbn; Sep 30th, 2020 at 20:00.