Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 Tyres

Views : 13228

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 18:32   #11
StevePritchard

Default RE: XC90 Tyres

Hi,

Any other suggestions for cheap tyres in the Cheshire area? I've found Pirelli Scorpions for £108 (www.JohnsonTyres.com), but I have to find somebody to fit them.

I've got two fronts that need replacing, and a chunk out of the sidewall of one of the rears - Ideally I'd like to replace all four, but if I can't do better than £160 a corner fitted (www.ValueTyres.co.uk - Continentals), then I might just change the fronts for now.

Cheers,

Steve.
StevePritchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 19:18   #12
ianu
Premier Member

Wink XC90 Tyres

Hello all,
Following these threads - none actually mention the size tyres involved here. I assume that you are all refering to the 18" rims standard on the SE spec cars. I have an SE but ordered it with nco 17" rims shod with the Michelin 4x4 Synchrone tyres. They look fantastic and have so far covered 27k miles with 6-7mm left (f/r) to go at the 24k service. Because of the experiences listed here I've kept a close eye on them and so far there is absolutely no sign of uneven wear on any corner. Not even the fronts are rounded. I'll be more than happy if they lasted to 30k - but think they'll go to 35 easily. I had an XC70 which took a pair of Pirelli Scorpions to 50k.
Perhaps there is something odd about the 18" rims that is not quite right - I haven't heard of anyone that has got near 20k out of the Continental's yet.
ianu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 12:08   #13
StevePritchard

Pretty certain my Contis did 30k before the fronts needed to be replaced. I ended up changing all four for Pirelli Scorpions - there was a chunk out of hte sidewall of one of the rears, so it made sense to replace all the tyres in one go, but the rears still had 4-5mm or so on them.

Cheers,

Steve.
StevePritchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 23:18   #14
Iain_M
VOC Member

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/ are pretty good on prices for tyres.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 17:13   #15
DCO

Default Rear tyre shouldering

Hi All,
I'm another Newbie to the forum. I just thought I would mention my experiences so far with the 18" rims. The important point is that the rear tyres are not shouldering. The wear is very even, right across the tread. I've only done about 10K so far, of which 60% is town work, & the rears have loads of life in them. The front tyres are understandably wearing more, especially the outside shoulders, but this is probably because everyday I have to carry out several full lock manoeuvers whilst moving from flat onto a cross slope etc. I try not to go barrelling around corners too much, so this may also help the rear tyres. I have recently swapped the fronts with the rears to even out the tyre wear, & have not noticed any ill effects, as some previous posts mentioned about the AWD system getting confused.
DCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 09:53   #16
perussell

I am up to 22K miles on 18" rims and have approx 4 mm of tread left on all tyres and absolutely no rounding off anywhere. I have always found Continental to be long lasting, relatively quiet and economical (low rolling resistance) - my previous BMW 5 managed 44K miles on Continentals before they were changed. Most of my mileage is Motorway so likely not very tough.
On the other hand my wife's Megane had severe rounding off and was almost down to 2mm after only 13K miles of local driving so I think it has as much to do with wheel alignment and driving habits than brand (albeit I accept there will be some small differences).
perussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 00:33   #17
Steve Hussain

Hi, I'm a new to this forum and found the infos to be extremely useful. Thanks to all.
Have anyone here or do you know of anyone who have used 235/55/18 rather than the 235/60/18 that is standard with XC90 here in Malaysia. Other than the significantly cheaper price on the 55, just wondering if it provide more stability.
A concern though is if it can carry the heavy weight of the XC90 and if it has any other safety implications. The local technical staff have indicated that it should be ok.
Thanks. Steve
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 21:41   #18
dgwise

hi, my xc90 with 7k on the clock needed the two rear tyres replaced as they were so shouldered they were through to the metal. The dealer replaced them for free but said there was no known issues with set-up. Hence checking this forum. The car had been in for new rear bearings at 5k and given a clean bill of health tread wise.

yes I have a friday XC90. Volvo make great cars but the build quality isn't up to there prices....