Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

20" Wheels - excessive road noise

Views : 103650

Replies : 1289

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 24th, 2017, 08:21   #1271
Driver Dave

ulstup, if you look at those of us who have found unacceptable levels of road noise carefully, I think, you will find we are owners of the D5 cars fitted 20" wheels and with original Continental tyres.

It does not seem to affect the T8 or T6 nor those later D5s fitted with Contisilent tyres or cars on othervsizes of wheel to the same extent.

I am happy you have found your car to be quiet.
Old Nov 24th, 2017, 08:51   #1272
Lexman8
Premier Member

I've driven extensively in France using my own cars and noted that roads there are generally less noisy and much better maintained than UK roads.

There are very few complaints about noise on the US forum so the problem may be peculiar to the UK and its poor roads.
Old Nov 24th, 2017, 09:13   #1273
Bicax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
I've driven extensively in France using my own cars and noted that roads there are generally less noisy and much better maintained than UK roads.
But did you try the Volvo and found it to be silent on them? I mean, when driving in France, did you think "if this was the level of noise I would get in the UK, I would be perfectly happy with my car"?
Bicax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2017, 09:33   #1274
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver Dave View Post
ulstup, if you look at those of us who have found unacceptable levels of road noise carefully, I think, you will find we are owners of the D5 cars fitted 20" wheels and with original Continental tyres.

It does not seem to affect the T8 or T6 nor those later D5s fitted with Contisilent tyres or cars on othervsizes of wheel to the same extent.

I am happy you have found your car to be quiet.
I was going to say exactly the same. Quite some tie back in this thread now we concluded that only D5 owners were unhappy with the level of road noise, and it was assumed that the T8's additional battery mass was absorbing some of the road noise.

I'd assume that T6 owners will feel the same as D5 owners, but there aren't many T6 owners on the forum.

:wq
Old Nov 24th, 2017, 09:36   #1275
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicax View Post
But did you try the Volvo and found it to be silent on them? I mean, when driving in France, did you think "if this was the level of noise I would get in the UK, I would be perfectly happy with my car"?
If my D5 was as quiet as it is on the smoothest of UK roads I would be more than happy with the levels of road noise. A section of A road has been resurfaced near to where I live with the super quiet tarmac and my car falls practically silent at 50mph on it.

Old Nov 24th, 2017, 10:28   #1276
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymangreg View Post
If my D5 was as quiet as it is on the smoothest of UK roads I would be more than happy with the levels of road noise. A section of A road has been resurfaced near to where I live with the super quiet tarmac and my car falls practically silent at 50mph on it.

Same with my car, on smooth new tarmac it is a really lovely quiet car but on our normal course surfaces it leaves a lot to desire
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2017, 11:33   #1277
ulstrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post

There are very few complaints about noise on the US forum so the problem may be peculiar to the UK and its poor roads.
I have driven the car in France, Germany and Denmark and no problem at all.
as driver Dave said it might only be related to the D5 with the original Conti.

since each ''noise'' has it own frequency and not a single human react the same way to various type of frequency finding a solution is not going to be easy...
ulstrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2017, 15:44   #1278
neon
Premier Member

The only main complaints I have seen are on the D5 with 20" wheels, in the UK and one owner in New Zealand I think. Mine now has the Contisilents which has made an improvement but not significant and certainly not luxury SUV quiet..
Switching to 19" wheels yesterday made more of an improvement than going from standard Continentals to Contisilents in my opinion.
I will consider keeping the 19" wheels on after winter but they just do not look the part and after all I paid a premium for the 20" wheels and tyres in the first place and Volvo should have made sure they were a good combination on the Inscription in the UK as this was standard.
Driving on the very new smooth surfaces is very quiet but unfortunately the majority of the roads in my area are not like this. The car just seems to act like an amplifier to noise on certain roads to my ears and potholes are heard and felt much more than they should be.
I wish I was knowledgeable enough to pinpoint the cause and offer a better explanation.

Last edited by neon; Nov 24th, 2017 at 15:53.
neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2017, 19:00   #1279
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicax View Post
I haven't driven the XC90 in France yet. On smooth or properly resurfaced roads in the UK (of which there aren't many) the car is very quiet and smooth (especially on the winter tyres) and I'd be perfectly happy if it was like that on most other surfaces.
Old Nov 27th, 2017, 11:42   #1280
Xc902017

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
I maintain you are, in your own words "aggravated" by others who do not agree with you and hiding a snide comment behind a smilly face does not hide the fact it was a snide remark. You were trying to bully and sensor by saying it was time I moved on. This forum is not for posting personal comments about other members. Stick to comments about the thread and DO NOT post comments about me and we will all get along just fine.
That really is a bit rich coming from nu11eaf!! I was accused of being a stooge/liar/ Volvo employee by him when I had the temerity to point out that my 16 D5 20” does not have this problem that he continually refers to. I even offered a ride in my car to compare - didn’t get a response.
Xc902017 is offline   Reply With Quote