Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

AC/heater problems in 960s/V90s?

Views : 715

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 11th, 2007, 04:57   #1
sanfelice

I was reading on at carsurvey.com about the reliability issues surrounding the AC and heater components on later 960s. Do others here have issues similar to those?

(I'm still debating the 960/V90 vs. 940)
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 10:26   #2
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

I have had no issues with AirCon. That in either the 940 or the V90.
They use different pumps, but that said the one on the 960/V90 would last longer, I would think as it has a clutch on it so is not spinning all the time.

The clutch may go, but this can be DIY repaired and has been detailed on these forums by someone.

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 14:43   #3
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Oh yes - mention Volvo 900 and one of the most common failures is the A/C Of all the (used) Volvos I've had, only one (a 960 funnily enough) had working A/C - even my current 1997 car doesn't have working A/C...
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 15:27   #4
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingThunder View Post
Oh yes - mention Volvo 900 and one of the most common failures is the A/C Of all the (used) Volvos I've had, only one (a 960 funnily enough) had working A/C - even my current 1997 car doesn't have working A/C...
Problems with seals, pumps or pipework??

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 18:23   #5
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

I never looked into it Des - they all had sunroofs and I much prefer an open sunroof to A\C. Of course the 940 Classic doesn't have a sunroof as standard, so I was slowly baked last year

I'm not sure whether to get the A\C fixed or fit a sunroof. Only problem with aftermarket sunroofs is that they tend to leak... so maybe I'll fix the A\C and keep the missus happy (she prefers A\C).
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 19:12   #6
StanC
'Mature' Member

Exclamation

Might as well pitch in on this - I've had two 960's - a 1991 and a 1996, the latter of which I'm still using. I'm fortunate in having a friend who owns an aircon business and he checks over my car a/c every April, before the onset of warmer weather.

The 1991 car developed a refrigerant leak (R12 those days) from the condenser (radiator) because of external salt corrosion - it was fairly expensive to fix and I installed new pipes to the compressor and evaporator at the same time as I didn't want to face stripping the system down again for a few years. I think I spent about £300 - and that was in 1999. After that the a/c on that car gave me no more trouble.

My present (1996) car has done 112k miles. I'm sure I'm tempting fate here, but the a/c system, at ten years old, still has it's original refrigerant charge and still works fine. My a/c friend gave the system a very small top-up three years ago and it hasn't needed any more since.

In so far that I have a 'secret' - I keep the condenser and pipes well 'waxoyled' all the time and I leave the a/c switched 'on' at all times - even in winter. Every time the car gets used the a/c gets used. this has the advantage of keeping the compressor seals (the only 'rotating' seals in the system) well lubricated and it also feeds dried air in to the car in damp weather, keeping the interior free from condensation and damp.

In short, I have found 960 a/c relatively problem-free - provided it is used regularly and protected from external corrosion.

Stan.
StanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 16:30   #7
emmdee
Premier Member

Stan,

that must be murder on your MPG! Bloody hell, my 960's thirsty enough without running the air con all the time!

I bought my 1995 car last July. The bloke at the place was upfront enough to tell me that the air con didn't work and that it could be needing a new refrig charge or just be a leaking pipe, but that it could potentially cost a grand to fix (I was paying £1300 for the whole car). I said "you know what? I'll just put the window down". You rarely get too much heat in central Scotland anyway.

Clearly the a/c failing is a pretty widespread problem on these babies.

regards
m.d.
emmdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 20:45   #8
StanC
'Mature' Member

Hi Emmdee,

I get about 29mpg on a run and about 20mpg around town. My 960 only gets used about once a week and all its journies are 100 miles or more on reasonably clear Northumberland roads, so I usually get a good 430 miles from a tankful of fuel. I honestly don't know if this is good or not for a 960 - I'd be interested to hear what others get.

Either way, with the summers we've had in recent years, with temperatures well into the mid-20's, I prefer to be nice and cool and comfortable on those long runs, so I try to keep the a/c system as healthy as I can!

Stan.
StanC is offline   Reply With Quote