Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1996-2004 S40 & V40 Buyer's guide - What to look out for?

Views : 85900

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 10th, 2013, 20:16   #21
Wire tim

The C in a diesel usually stands for "common rail"
Wire tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2014, 01:28   #22
patzapa

The lin in the last paragragh does not work for me?

4. More detailed things to check

For the VVT pulley/solenoid, see guide here for more info: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...ighlight=guide
patzapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2014, 12:00   #23
Alexjansen

My S40's original stereo CD reader can read compressed mp3. I've got several burned CDs, some of which the files are mp3s taken from the net (some are 128kbps, so very compressed), and it works fine !
Alexjansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2016, 19:55   #24
AnthonyV40

Now I read what to look for. I can't seem to get my OBII to read any faults. I know it's a diesel but can I get any info from the car?
AnthonyV40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2016, 12:29   #25
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyV40 View Post
Now I read what to look for. I can't seem to get my OBII to read any faults. I know it's a diesel but can I get any info from the car?
What code reader are you using? The 1.9D can only be read with the Volvo DICE or very expensive professional code readers like the Snap on.

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2019, 18:28   #26
AlexJG

Hi there,

I just found your buyers guide for secondhand V40's and wish wish wish I had this to hand when I recently bought my 1999 Volvo V40 1.9 SE Estate.

Literally, 10 minutes after leaving the seller, the gear-box blew. The seller has offered to repair the car but we are struggling to find the right part and as time goes on the seller is becoming harder and harder to contact. A classic novice buyer error!

Otherwise, the car seems to be in excellent condition. I would like to keep it so wondered if you can offer advice on what exact gearbox I need and pointers as to where to find one.

My other option is to sell the car but I have no experience in this either. I spent a fair amount on the car and if the seller refuses to help then I cannot really afford to buy the new gearbox so would need to give the car up for sale but would like to recuperate as much of the cash I spent as possible... IF possible!

Here is the original listing for the car that has full details:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1999-Volv...p2047675.l2557

I spent all my savings on this, so a lesson learned the hard way for sure!

If you could spare some time to help me I'd be so grateful. I've always wanted a Volvo and was so excited for this car.
AlexJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2019, 20:42   #27
emtor

The seller won't help you if he/she's hard to reach.

Open the hood and locate the gear-box. Somewhere on it you'll find a sticker with a barcode and some letters and numbers (if it's still there).
It's most likely located under the air filter box.
The gear-box type will be printed on the sticker.
In your country there surely is a website that car salvage firms list their car parts.
Alternatively trace down as many of these firms as you can and call them.
A used box isn't nearly as expensive as a new one.

Last edited by emtor; Aug 28th, 2019 at 20:44.
emtor is offline   Reply With Quote