Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo V50 1.6D intermittent loss of power

Views : 960

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 22nd, 2020, 16:09   #1
innocent2k

Default Volvo V50 1.6D intermittent loss of power

Hi

I have a V50 (as title suggests!) with the following problem. Car starts fine but it judders a bit when driving, not continuously but a lot of the time. I also end up in situations where when I'm driving at arount 110km/h, the engine stops pulling alltogether and even with the accelerator floored it will slowly lose speed. This resolves itself after about 10-15 seconds without me doing anything, which to me suggests it is not going into limp mode (as I believe that would require me to switch off the ignition and re-start to recover from).

While not behaving EXACTLY like last time, the symptoms does remind me a bit about how the car was with a faulty throttle body a few years back. Could this explain the symptoms? Error codes ECM-9140 and ECM-9150 suggests the fault lies there and by checking details the 9140 error indeed gives me a picture of the throttle body. I have also attached the full list of error codes even though I know most are unrelated, but in case I've missed something else that could lead to this. The two permanent ones can be disregarded fully.

Last question, if it is likely to be the throttle body, can this be changed without reprogramming anything? (I would guess so since they can actually be bought as a 3rd party replacement, but I want to make sure before I attempt this on my own). Thanks in advance for any help.

Other info:

- MY2008
- Car has run 155000km, DPF was exchanged at 120000km
- EGR is closed off permanently
- Car had its annual dealership service a few weeks ago
- Fuel filter was last changed two years ago

vida_1.jpg
innocent2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2020, 12:57   #2
Batlamb

I had an issue like this and to be honest it took forever to repair. Mine was likely to be down to a faulty ECU but at the same time it could of been the CEM. It has seemed to of sorted out itself now thankfully.
Batlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2020, 16:19   #3
innocent2k

I was in touch with my Volvo mechanic, and based on symptoms and fault codes, he agreed this sounded like an issue with the throttle body so I am getting that changed tomorrow. I will give an update on the result as soon as I've been able to test the car, as I hate when other leave their threads without any actual resolution.

Also, I mistyped.. the error codes I had was ECM-9130 and ECM-9140, ECM-9150 was never in there.

Other research also suggests that it is indeed the throttle body, and the symptoms are very similar to what I had five years ago which also led to this being changed. Not very durable these things it seems.
Old Nov 25th, 2020, 17:25   #4
innocent2k

As promised, here's an update.

Got my car back with a changed throttle body and I don't even recognise it anymore. Not only did it not cut power, it's got way more punch than when I delivered it. So this must gradually have worsened over time in such small steps that I did not notice.

So VIDA was spot on when it came to this one.
The Following User Says Thank You to innocent2k For This Useful Post: