Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Thermostat change D5244T10

Views : 1819

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 20th, 2021, 08:33   #1
reggit
Premier Member

Default Thermostat change D5244T10

Has anyone changed the thermostat themselves on the euro 5 205bhp engine?

I’ve picked up the phone to call Volvo and book it in but i just can’t do it! 😂.

Are there any pitfalls, other than it being an absolute pain in the bum needing a big dismantling job to reach it?

Anyone know who makes the OEM item?

I’m fairly adept at wielding a socket set by the way 😆

Cheers
Old Jan 20th, 2021, 08:52   #2
gtruu

Default Thermostat change

Hi! yours is bit newer I dont know is there any new specifics. I have chanced twice for my 2005 S60 D5 2.4 96kW engine. Quite easy but when I did it first I bought maint manual from internet. its quite cheap compare to workshop hour prices.

For me thermostat was placed front side top of the engine. Near the v timing belt box. Big hose going in there and also temp sensor cable.

Had to remove vbelt, open the steering pump bolts and move it a bit(this depends on model. Some models have thermostat angled a bit and it is not neccessary), coolant water hose and then there is some aluminium rack witch is blocking one bolt of the thermostat but atleast volvo has tought about it and there is some hole for the bolt in this aluminium rack (this also depends on model some models have thermostat angled a bit and u dont need to follow this part). So you use thin torx screwdriver and u can remove thermostat with whole case.

They sell thermostat with whole case. First time I bought only thermostat but not worth it. buy whole case with thermostat bit more expensive but less worry with sealing the leakage later. i did not had any leakage but still not worth it.

NB! Safety first. Do this work when motor is cool to avoid hot cooling water. Dont forgot to clean perfectly with some very small sandpaper (2000) the surface,
Be careful with all bolts. Threads in aluminium is easy to broke.
Its alwasy best to let professional to do this work.
And u dont have to hurry with change. U can change it months, year, two years later does not matter. It only makes ur car use more fuel and warm up longer in winter. If u are in climate where is whole year min +10deg then u have no hurry. I live area where is -20 sometimes it is quite big problem for me
gtruu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2021, 09:08   #3
reggit
Premier Member

Thanks,
In my case the thermostat is over the gearbox meaning the EGR valve and battery tray (it’s in the front on newer cars) has to be removed to gain access.

Trying to decide to DIY it or book it into a garage. The ‘stat itself is over £100 as it is part of a manifold. Gone are the days of undo 3 bolts and it’s done.
Old Jan 20th, 2021, 17:28   #4
Kev0607
Premier Member

Not the nicest of jobs from what I hear, on the newer models anyway. Volvo will charge around £400 upwards to replace the part.

If you have the time & patience, then you'll save a lot by doing the work yourself. From what I've heard/read, many let garages do the work!

Look for an independent Volvo garage. They're much cheaper than a dealership.
Old Jan 21st, 2021, 14:02   #5
reggit
Premier Member

Looks like I’ve let myself in for a weekend of spannering, ordered the thermostat assembly.
Couldn’t see the point of having a garage full of tools then taking the car to a garage 😂
I’ll update my progress thread in the P3 V70 section when I get round to doing it.
Old Jan 25th, 2021, 12:51   #6
lynns hubby
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
Not the nicest of jobs from what I hear, on the newer models anyway. Volvo will charge around £400 upwards to replace the part.

If you have the time & patience, then you'll save a lot by doing the work yourself. From what I've heard/read, many let garages do the work!

Look for an independent Volvo garage. They're much cheaper than a dealership.
£400 to change a thermostat !!!!!!!!
lynns hubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2021, 14:05   #7
reggit
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynns hubby View Post
I can believe it, the ‘stat itself is about £130, to access it remove:
Battery
Battery box
Throttle body
Air box
EGR valve
Various bits of loom
Then you can see it!

I’m sure I’ll find more once I tackle it.

It’s just arrived, it’s fixed into this manifold!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 49BBED51-C7D0-43F7-8DCB-1A7ECC0B39AD.jpeg (85.7 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by reggit; Jan 25th, 2021 at 14:16.
reggit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2021, 16:03   #8
37 RUBY
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggit View Post
I can believe it, the ‘stat itself is about £130, to access it remove:
Battery
Battery box
Throttle body
Air box
EGR valve
Various bits of loom
Then you can see it!

I’m sure I’ll find more once I tackle it.

It’s just arrived, it’s fixed into this manifold!
Whilst mine has been working fine I've been mulling over a change of thermostat when I change my antifreeze this summer.

I found an image of the rear of the engine on this web page... https://www.media.volvocars.com/uk/e...a/photos/18493

I'm surmising that the stat is top left next to turbo actuator with the brass fasteners?...or am I looking in the wrong place?

37 RUBY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 37 RUBY For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 25th, 2021, 19:09   #9
reggit
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 RUBY View Post
Whilst mine has been working fine I've been mulling over a change of thermostat when I change my antifreeze this summer.

I'm surmising that the stat is top left next to turbo actuator with the brass fasteners?...or am I looking in the wrong place?

Nope, that’s part of the EGR valve I believe.

The pipe immediately over the flywheel is part of the stat assembly, you can follow it back and see where it bolts to the back of the engine.

Good find though that picture, think I’ve got a leaking intake pipe (turbo whistle) and that gives me a good idea of the layout.
Old Jan 25th, 2021, 22:14   #10
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynns hubby View Post
That's at a dealership... could be even more!

As mentioned above, its the labour involved to get to the part that needs replacing. That's why replacement ends up being so expensive.