Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

VIDA software system requirements?

Views : 3268

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 25th, 2021, 18:59   #1
venomtail

Lightbulb VIDA software system requirements?

I have bought a VIDA DICE diagnostic scanner.

I've been trying to install the software on my laptop but so far it has been a nightmare. Installer says it needs win 7. Been spending 2 days getting a win 7 virtual machine to work. I have solved every errors the installer has thrown at me, and the last one it threw is a simple error not indicative of what is wrong, unlike all the ones before it.

So I wanted to know if anyone knows about of all of the system requirements. What have I missed? Would be greatfull if anyone knew so I could get the diagnostics installed and hopefull diagnose and fix my car.

Thanks
venomtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2021, 21:10   #2
reggit
Premier Member

Does it not say under that error box?

From memory,
Windows 7 professional or ultimate
Over 2Gb free RAM
.net 3.5
Internet explorer 8

Can’t remember processor speed, but it’s old software so nothing major.
Old Jan 26th, 2021, 05:21   #3
paddy74

So far we didn't know what exactly you have done, so it's quite speculative to say you missed this or that... We don't even know where you got your VIDA version from.

The most comprehensive guide I know that 100% works is this one at swedespeed, but with Win10:
https://www.swedespeed.com/threads/v...10-pro.242441/

There is also a troubleshooting section at the end of the first post.

But let me say one other thing: I wouldn't use Win7 for VIDA. It is very outdated and VIDA works like a charme on Win10 (with or without VM).

To give more advice on installing VIDA, you should provide some more information, like where you want to install it, how do you use the laptop and so on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy74 View Post
On what operating systems runs VIDA?
VIDA runs on Windows 7 and on Windows 10. All versions and installation methods are available for both systems. You can even mix these, eg. your system runs on Windows 10 and you have VIDA running in a virtual machine with Windows 7...

So Windows 7 and Windows 10 are both fine, I recommend Windows 10, as it is more stable than Windows 7.

Which one is best for me?
  • I want to use a dedicated Laptop for VIDA[/size]
    • I have no or only a little experience in installing software on Windows
      ===> Take the download where you get VIDA already installed in a Virtual Machine.
    • I have a working knowledge of Windows and software for Windows
      ===> If you use an old laptop or one with not so high specs, use the standalone download, not installed in a VM.
      ===> If you use a power machine, it's really your choice. On a dedicated machine, it doesn't hurt to install it in a VM, but faster and more flexible is without.
    • I'm a computer geek, MySQL-Server or Java are known, but I'd rather use MariaDB and OpenJDK or Correto
      ===> OK, why haven't you already been to DuckDuckGo and searched for Volvo VIDA 2014d followed by the OCH of your choice? Just kidding, but the easiest way seems to simply look at Swedespeed in the OBD section.
  • I want to use my "allday" Laptop for VIDA
    • In this case I'd always prefer the VirtualMachine approach.
      If something goes wrong, everything is neatly bundled in a seperate environment. And you can easily delete and re-install the whole thing. As this is your allday laptop, I simply asume the specs are high enough. As a ground rule, I'd recommend at least 4GB to 6GB of RAM for a VM.
    • Still not convinced for a VM?
      If you really know, what you're doing, than you can try the standalone approach. But keep in mind, we are talking about a software, that is not updated since 2014 (five years!), and hence is as well using other software from this era. How should VIDA know about a newer JAVA version... Right now, this isn't a problem, as all needed software still is supported, but in my opinion, if it's not a dedicated and therefor not daily used machine, I would go for the VM.
Old Jan 26th, 2021, 15:09   #4
venomtail

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy74 View Post
So far we didn't know what exactly you have done, so it's quite speculative to say you missed this or that... We don't even know where you got your VIDA version from.

The most comprehensive guide I know that 100% works is this one at swedespeed, but with Win10:
https://www.swedespeed.com/threads/v...10-pro.242441/

There is also a troubleshooting section at the end of the first post.

But let me say one other thing: I wouldn't use Win7 for VIDA. It is very outdated and VIDA works like a charme on Win10 (with or without VM).

To give more advice on installing VIDA, you should provide some more information, like where you want to install it, how do you use the laptop and so on...
Thanks. For the link.

I'm trying to install the software on an VM, since the installer won't work with anything's that's not windows 7. I've tried enabling compatability modes for the installer itself but no luck. So I went at got a VM with both 32 and 64 bit win7.

Mostly threw out gradual things, such as IE 8 is too old, too little ram and storage. Changed VM settings and then retrying the install. This was the last error it throws out and doesn't even tell me what it doesn't like.

So I found the log files for the intaller. The last error it throws out is that OS is not the right version, the one installed on my VM being HomePremium. Reggit mentioned it was either premium or ultimate. That might be it.

Great, back to trying to find a Ult Win 7 ISO for my VM. Would you know where to find a Ult win 7 iso?
Old Jan 26th, 2021, 17:38   #5
reggit
Premier Member

You can fudge (change) an entry in the registry to make Vida install on home premium, get remember just how though. Sure a search will find it.
Old Jan 26th, 2021, 23:29   #6
venomtail

Talking Got VIDA running!

Got an Win 7 Ult VM running and installed all of the updates. Tried installing VIDA again and this time it worked. Seems like it needs Win 7 Ult as a minimum.

After it installed, I tried to launch it and the login screen in IE showed up however no buttons or keys worked on the page. Looking around on the internet, many users also followed up the installation with some VIDA 2014D patch. Mine didn't come with one. Found a forum post #356 that talk's about this issue and then links to this forum post where someone has made a patch that will update the dates to ones in the future.

With this installed and after a reboot, the page was blank. Looking around on the web again, turns out you have to go into the safety settings of IE and disable protection/whitelist the host URL that VIDA's trying to connect to. After doing this the site works, was able to log in and got the VIDA start screen.

Can't wait for tommorow so I can diagnose and have a look at what's wrong with my car. Who knows what I'll stumble into then, hopefully smooth sailing from now on.

Thanks for the help and I hope someone in the future can look at this thread to maybe help out with their installation troubleshooting.
Old Jan 27th, 2021, 13:53   #7
venomtail

Angry Next struggles; "Not selected"

The struggles never end. The problem I face now is that my tool is not shown in the drop down menu. All it shows me is "not selected."

The first issue was that my tools just had an "X" over it. The first fix was the X and I got it sorted by going into the registry and add a new parameter, that got rid of the X. Everyone else seems to have their devices displayed after that except for me. Looked for other fixes such as relaunching the DICE installer for the correct bit version of your windows, that changed nothing.

This is what it looks like. Might help understand the issue.

Really don't know where to go from here. Maybe the intallation didn't fully install? Maybe everything under 3PP\Products needs to be installed separatley? But as far as I remember it all installed as well.

Does anyone know what to do next or a fix that might work?
Old Jan 27th, 2021, 13:55   #8
reggit
Premier Member

Have you plugged the dice in yet? It needs to be powered, so use the 12v socket on it or plug it into the car.
And then it’ll probably sulk over the wrong driver!
Old Jan 27th, 2021, 14:10   #9
venomtail

My scanner only comes with one usb port that connects straight to my laptop. Video here just in case.
Old Jan 27th, 2021, 14:10   #10
Quarryscapes

Open the DVD, run VX Manager, and install that. Make sure the thing is NOT actually plugged in to the USB port. After that, it should show in VIDA. I've got this far myself, haven't plugged it into car yet!
Quarryscapes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Quarryscapes For This Useful Post:

Tags
software, vida dice