Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC70 Wing Mirror replacement

Views : 1657

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 11th, 2010, 13:31   #1
chris810

Default XC70 Wing Mirror replacement

I had a bit of a moment today on the narrow roads hear my house and got struck by a Nissan Micra going at warp factor 9, we clattered wing mirrors and my drivers mirror now has shattered casing and glass.

So where is the best place to get another, the volvo price is rather high, around £300.00 plus vat, and I have been given that old chestnut which I seem to get at all parts departments no matter what car Im in " normally its not much of a problem and is a cheap fix but with your model sir ........." Mabye Im buying the wrong cars :-(

Any help would be appreciated
chris810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2021, 20:35   #2
RowdyYates

Hey... did you get a replacement at a sensible price in the end ? I’ve just had one of my clattered off 😩
RowdyYates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2021, 20:52   #3
oragex
Premier Member

Mirror replacement is rather easy, more time takes to remove the door board https://youtu.be/MoKaF8AIJSk
Old Jan 25th, 2021, 22:40   #4
Bashy
Aged Member

It is very simple to change the whole mirror, I bought mine for £60'ish off of eBay, it came from Poland, all i needed to do was to change the colour coded
front cover, although, yours is prob parts thats smashed? Bear in mind that yours will most likely have the powered housing, ie power folding so will cost more.

Hot tip for removing the colour coded cover, prise out near the corner of the cover thats closest to the hinge, not towards the front of the cover, see image below, if you prise from there, it will come off in one foul swoop, anywhere else and you will struggle more and more depending on where you try. Ive not long had to change my complete unit and tried for ages and in vain i might add till i accidentally found that the inside corner was so much easier.....
Attached Images
File Type: png $_86.png (167.0 KB, 8 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Bashy For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2021, 20:44   #5
R-P
Master Member

BTW, I replaced mine with the older mirrors (after applying a number of layers of cheapo spray-paint to get it from red to white) because one mirror-glass disappeared completely as if it evaporated,
I suspect the trailer next to it with a dieselpowered machine on it heated it up so far that the mirror dropped from the plastic backlayer and the owner (doing some work for my neighbours) got a broom and tried to remove all evidence, I remember driving off and seeing my mirror was black so I wiped it clean thinking it was soot, but it was just the plastic holder the glass is glued onto. I may have recovered a microscopic glassshard from the ground but that was all so not quite enough evidence to confront him about it).

Old mirror was 100euro for a set and the glass alone is more expensive and my plastic covers once had flashing lights in them, being an ex-plod car, so had big holes I wanted to get rid off anyway.

I have since found the glass in China for something like 15 and 10 euro iirc (for some reason one side was more expensive) and I have ordered them (they look good, possibly with an even larger angle at the end) but have never fitted them.

I have no clue why the pic is rotated 90 degrees. It was (and is) correctly showing up on my laptop before uploading it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180624_125329 - kopie.jpg (161.6 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by R-P; Jan 26th, 2021 at 20:48.
R-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2021, 21:09   #6
eternal optimist
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyYates View Post
Hey... did you get a replacement at a sensible price in the end ? I’ve just had one of my clattered off 😩
The OP might not remember after 11 years.
eternal optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eternal optimist For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2021, 21:42   #7
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

I can barely remember what I did to my car last month

I wish the micras I come across did such speeds, round this way they barely move. worse still when you get one in the left lane and a prius in the right you know you're in for the worlds slowest race

-------------------------
mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Jan 26th, 2021 at 21:46.
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2021, 00:49   #8
Woob Meister

Smile XC70 drivers mirror cover needed + indicator

Another car destroyed my 07 XC70 mirror casing and indicator. It appears that 07 covers are different from preceding and following years..... is this correct?
I also wondered if there was an interchangeable cover or an entire mirror housing complete that would work? Looking on eBay and the various sites that request every detail before they announce that none are available......drive me nuts.
How do I define accurately the exact cover, indicator or housing that I need please? I would happily buy a used one in whatever colour and spray the colour I need. My indicator bulb still works and my mirror glass is intact. The areas that secure the cover appear broken though I most probably can secure it by super glue or similar. Right now the rain and snow are making it their own and I want to resolve this before it gets worse.
Any help would be appreciated or a guide towards an outlet that I can obtain one at reasonable cost would really cheer me up.
Woob Meister is offline   Reply With Quote