Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > AWD Discussion

Notices

AWD Discussion A forum dedicated to the AWD systems fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Haldex oil change

Views : 39038

Replies : 57

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 24th, 2019, 10:06   #11
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGecko View Post
Mine was changed this morning haldex 5 - 2015 xc60.

See before and after pics - this is the first time I've changed it after 73k miles... despite asking Volvo directly and the dealer if it needed to be done - they both said it doesn't.....I think these images show otherwise!

Without a doubt, the right thing to do and looking at the state of the pump filter, you can see why these pumps fail. Am I right in thinking that Haldex 5 doesn't have a separate filter ?

If not already done, I would change the gearbox fluid now with that mileage on.

A bit spent now can save a fortune later.

On my 07 XC90, I've just done Haldex + filter ( to the same extent as you) then rear diff oil. angle gear oil and several gearbox sump dumps.

Each one of them was filthy.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic

Last edited by S60D5-185; Nov 24th, 2019 at 10:11.
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2019, 10:30   #12
100K+
Premier Member

Gus - When you changed you haldex fluid did you do a number of fluid changes or just a drain and replace?
If it was just the latter, I'd bet a pound to a penny your fluid is still manky.

The colour of your drained fluid resembles the colour of mine when I drained it. I did not need my car for a couple of days so I left the fluid standing overnight and then re-used the upper syphoned liquid and new fluid to "wash out" the haldex unit. I did this a total of about 6 times ( I used about 2 litres of new fluid + the best of the rest fluid) and it took this number of washes/flushes to get a reasonable coloured fluid out of the haldex. Each time I blew through the plastic tube I was using to drain the Haldex to disturb as much sediment as possible.

Additionally when the Haldex was filled did you remove 100ml? It might not be necessary on the modern units, but it was certainly a recommendation of owners for the P2 cars.

Cheers
Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 100K+ For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2019, 11:48   #13
vogron

The haldex oil + the filter just replaced on my 2011MY XC70 D5 also with the differential fluid.
The whole price was about 120 euros with volvo OEM haldex oil + filter and Liqui Moly SAE 80W GL-5 for the diff. The rear diff oil was kinda dirty.

However I have a question regarding the proper oil level of the Haldex:

If we check the the DIY video of Volvosweded in youtube, he said the we have to extract 40 ml to set up the correct level after the top up. I also checked this on VIDA but there is no record to remove/extract 40ml, just top up and that's all.

When I changed the vehicle profile in VIDA to 2008 XC70 I found that there is an article about this. it's strange because both model year 2008/2011 have the same GEN4 Haldex unit.

The proper level in the differential unit is -50 ml after top up.

Last edited by vogron; Nov 26th, 2019 at 11:51.
vogron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2019, 13:30   #14
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100K+ View Post
Gus - When you changed you haldex fluid did you do a number of fluid changes or just a drain and replace?
If it was just the latter, I'd bet a pound to a penny your fluid is still manky.

The colour of your drained fluid resembles the colour of mine when I drained it. I did not need my car for a couple of days so I left the fluid standing overnight and then re-used the upper syphoned liquid and new fluid to "wash out" the haldex unit. I did this a total of about 6 times ( I used about 2 litres of new fluid + the best of the rest fluid) and it took this number of washes/flushes to get a reasonable coloured fluid out of the haldex. Each time I blew through the plastic tube I was using to drain the Haldex to disturb as much sediment as possible.

Additionally when the Haldex was filled did you remove 100ml? It might not be necessary on the modern units, but it was certainly a recommendation of owners for the P2 cars.

Cheers
Bob

Bob, when I did the Haldex on my XC90 ( Haldex 3 ) a couple of weeks ago, I had the rear of the car raised high on ramps and after sucking the old oil out via an electric pump, I removed the Haldex pump, the filter and the pinion oil seal so as a result got a fair amount more out even after I had finished sucking it out.

The pump filter mesh was filthy as was the oil and the separate filter.

I cleaned the pump, fitted a new filter and refilled with fresh oil but my intention is to drain and fill at least a couple more times in the very near future as I'm certain that you are correct about the probable colour of the oil now in the Haldex.

I'll update once I do it re colour of the recently filled oil,

Old Nov 26th, 2019, 14:28   #15
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60D5-185 View Post
.... I removed the Haldex pump, the filter and the pinion oil seal so as a result got a fair amount more out even after I had finished sucking it out.

The pump filter mesh was filthy as was the oil and the separate filter.

I cleaned the pump, fitted a new filter and refilled with fresh oil but my intention is to drain and fill at least a couple more times in the very near future as I'm certain that you are correct about the probable colour of the oil now in the Haldex.
When I checked out my V70 AWD R I did not remove the prop, so I was not able to remove the pump due to the prop shaft blocking access/removal nor the filter due to filter bolt corrosion, and VERY limited access.
I was thus forced to clean the unit as best as possible, hoping in the unlikely event that "cleaner fluid" running through would somehow remove some of the crap that had built up in the pump + filter.

How successful this has been is debatable, but the AWD is still functioning. Its the 2004 1/16 rotation before activation type.

Cheers
Bob
The Following User Says Thank You to 100K+ For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2019, 15:24   #16
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Yes I had to drop the rear of the prop on mine to get the pump out but the prop came off the flange easier than I thought it would .

On the 07 XC90 you don't have to drop the centre prop support like I had to on my 05 XC70 to be able to access the flange retaining nut so that was a bonus and I was also able to leave the exhaust totally undisturbed. Once the rearmost prop CV is removed from the flange, it will clear it and lie on the floor.

The small hex bolts for the filter and the pump came out ok so all in all it was not a bad job on the XC90.

Whilst everything was apart I installed a new pinion oil seal about £20 and also the 19 spline prop rear CV joint ( about £50 ).

The car had done 127k so it seemed sensible renewing these couple of items whilst I had everything apart.

I was actually surprised how much more oil came out when I removed the flange and its pinion seal so clearly the evacuation pump can't access all of the fluid towards the bottom of the Haldex casing. The removal of the Haldex pump fot cleaning and checking also released more.

Last edited by S60D5-185; Nov 26th, 2019 at 17:47.
The Following User Says Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2020, 10:19   #17
bracken78

I'll be performing a service on the Haldax on my XC70 shortly but wanted to know which oil to use. Is this link the correct oil?

https://www.volvopartshop.com/auto-g...il-16225-p.asp

Also, do I clean the filter/unit with brake cleaner?

Thank you.
bracken78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2020, 14:40   #18
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracken78 View Post
I'll be performing a service on the Haldax on my XC70 shortly but wanted to know which oil to use. Is this link the correct oil?

Thank you.
Short answer NO. That looks like auto transmission fluid, its RED. Haldex oil is "oil coloured" if you get my meaning.
You only do this job once, well depending up on the colour of you removed oil, but I bit the bullet and bought genuine Volvo stuff from the dealer - after a bit of friendly haggle. ( I allowed my old oil to settle for 24hrs skimmed the cleaner top surface and re used it, and flushed again.... and again.... and again... each time leaving the crud in the settling container)
Additionally I would not use brake cleaner to clean the filter - replace it for same reason as above.

Cheers
Bob

Cheers
Bob
Old Feb 19th, 2020, 16:27   #19
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracken78 View Post

Thank you.

This is what you need. You need to renew the filter not attempt to clean it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-V...AAAOSwn35aoAEO

Old Feb 19th, 2020, 20:32   #20
bracken78

Thank you very much both for taking the time to reply. I think the 2014 Xc70 has a Haldax 5 which does not have a filter which can be changed. I'll have a look under the car this weekend to double check which unit I have and then contact the local Volvo dealer for the oil.
bracken78 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bracken78 For This Useful Post: