Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

The Joy Of 240's, with issues...

Views : 56631

Replies : 272

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 24th, 2020, 11:58   #211
CosmicBike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Well done. I find with Volvo wiring the best thing to do it replace the wire once it starts playing up, it was pretty poor quality back in the 80s (you may remember the engine compartment wiring loom I made for the RB?).

The Capri Laser? How is that coming along?

Alan
Indeed, wiring seems to be an issue, at least for things like the lights etc its an easy fix....

The Capri rolls forwards and backwards to give me access to boxes from time to time, this week I actually started the mighty 1600cc pinto to let it warm up. I started stripping a 2l pinto to rebuild and put in, otherwise nothing has been done, too much time decorating and keeping Grace on the road.
CosmicBike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CosmicBike For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 24th, 2020, 12:56   #212
heckflosse
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicBike View Post
Indeed, wiring seems to be an issue, at least for things like the lights etc its an easy fix....

The Capri rolls forwards and backwards to give me access to boxes from time to time, this week I actually started the mighty 1600cc pinto to let it warm up. I started stripping a 2l pinto to rebuild and put in, otherwise nothing has been done, too much time decorating and keeping Grace on the road.
I can fully sympathise. Cars take all the effort you can give them which is OK until life gets in the way. Then they become immobile things in the garage with other things perched on them.
The woes od an overful life.Still, you could be one of those saddoes whose idea of a good weekend's fun extends no further than having a polished Audi.
heckflosse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heckflosse For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 5th, 2021, 16:42   #213
CosmicBike

Since I have a few days off, I figured I'd get Grace booked in for her MOT, thinking if anything needs doing I have a day or 2 available. Quick once over this morning and 1200hrs was the time of reckoning.
Verdict, clean bill of health, a few minors which are the same as last year and on the to do list, something the garage owner commented on. He's a classic car man so always good to have a natter.
Happy bunny.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CosmicBike For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 24th, 2021, 13:27   #214
CosmicBike

Grace feels at home today, under a blanket of snow. Since I had nowhere to go, I figured that it was time to look at one of the last niggles, the heated seats not working. After confirming 12v present at the connector under the seat, and an open loop reading on the seat itself, I removed the drivers side and brought into the warm.
It seems the pads are original, not mounted on grids but set in a thin layer of foam which is taped to the seat foam itself. Bottom pad tested OK pre and post thermostat, and the upper was O/L. Further digging through cover removal found an old repair had failed, so new cable from base to back installed along with re-making the connections to the heater pad. Tested the whole seat, 38ohms, so better.
Back in the car, and hey presto, warm bum and back. So that's me happy, I guess at some point I'll have to do the passenger seat to please SWMBO...
Old Jan 24th, 2021, 22:00   #215
CosmicBike

After some fun in the snow (my shuskie loves it), I fixed the passenger seat.
Wonderful.
Old Jan 25th, 2021, 07:05   #216
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicBike View Post
After some fun in the snow (my shuskie loves it), I fixed the passenger seat.
Wonderful.
Well done. I enjoy following this thread.

Alan
Old Feb 20th, 2021, 17:45   #217
CosmicBike

Not much going on with Grace, tough wood she is running well, and no major issues to deal with. I did notice the O/S headlight had been damaged and had a small hole in it, so found an original used one an eBay and swapped that today. Still have the rear clusters and number plates to replace, and that will be all the MOT advisories dealt with.
Old Jun 19th, 2021, 02:32   #218
CosmicBike

Still loitering...
Grace has been splendid of late, working at carrying lots of timber around for a shed build along with fenceposts and various other stuff.
Serviced last week, and then the front washer jets stopped working, again. Pump is somewhat defunct, so new one ordered and will fit when the rains go away. I reckon she may well need front discs and pads before the next MOT, and I'll probably do the new tyres also.
Old Oct 17th, 2021, 11:43   #219
CosmicBike

Well the old girl is still going strong. 3rd dog has arrived, and she's proven perfect for lugging all 3 of my furry friends around, none of which are small. There was some discussion about replacing Grace with an XC70 or V70 since SWMBO won't drive her (too clunky apparently). Thats on hold since we only lug 3 dogs when both of us are around, so I drive. Which means Grace stays thankfully.
I may have a spot of time coming, so new rear springs and shocks are due. Still on the originals as best I can tell, and she does have a saggy rear end. Any hints on what to buy? I'm currently looking at standard height Kilen 66060 springs and KYB 'Excel-G' shocks. She doesn't get heavily loaded often so standard springs will be fine.
Old Nov 25th, 2021, 21:32   #220
CosmicBike

With the MOT due late January I figured I'd do the advisory stuff which, to be honest, would simply be an advisory again. The damaged but repaired rear light cluster was replaced with a new unit today, and with new front & rear number plates in the post I'm hoping for an advisory free test next year. I think, given I have no kitchen at the moment, that the springs and shocks etc will wait until next Spring.
The Following User Says Thank You to CosmicBike For This Useful Post: