Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 1773616

Replies : 4083

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 25th, 2020, 19:44   #2081
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I had a feeling you'd like them more once they were on with tyres Alan, they grew on me from when i first saw them. For me that was on a 940 in a photo (here, ebay - somewhere!) but the ones i really like for my 760 are the Aries wheel. I think they'd look too "fussy" on a 240 and i think the Pholus look a little plain on the 7/9xx cars but look absolutely spot on on the RB.

It's all about aesthetic balance for me, sometimes that can be matching a plain sort of body with a plain but nice wheel, more often than not for my taste it's a contrast, a plain but nice body with a "fussy" wheel, the razor-edge styling of the 240 matched to something a bit curvy (Pholus) or something similarly razor-edged like the Virgos - you get the general idea.

As for the advice, you're very welcome and glad it helped!

I have a feeling both John and I suggested a vinyl roof, i'm fairly sure i suggested a black vinyl roof and from memory (which might be wrong) i think John suggested the same. I expect he'll be along soon to tell us we've both lost our marbles and he suggested nothing of the sort!
I must stop going about them, but the Pholus wheels are absolutely fabulous on the RB. If I didn’t have the Virgo wheels already I would not have gone to the trouble of buying them.

I think you and John both advocated a black vinyl roof. It had slipped my memory, but I think it is a really good idea. Early in the new year I’ll look into getting one fitted to celebrate the RB becoming an historic car.

:-)
Old Nov 25th, 2020, 19:46   #2082
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

No lost marbles, 'L.S.'. As an aside, it amuses me that Rolls-Royce did not approve of a vinyl roof being fitted to their cars, which were instead offered with the option of an Everflex one!

Good work with the wheels, Alan.

Regards, John.
Old Nov 25th, 2020, 19:53   #2083
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
No lost marbles, 'L.S.'. As an aside, it amuses me that Rolls-Royce did not approve of a vinyl roof being fitted to their cars, which were instead offered with the option of an Everflex one!

Regards, John.
Thank you John, I must stop talking about them, but I’m delighted with the wheels.

The vinyl roof had slipped my mind until I saw one on a Vauxhall this morn - a black one would look very good on the RB.

Alan
Old Nov 25th, 2020, 20:28   #2084
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post

Regards, John.
That made me laugh John - the paint on my Rover has gone in the usual places the 800 suffers lacquer peel, primarily the D pillars, boot, bonnet and roof. The roof is the worst effected and hardest to correct with a rattle can, even at a basic level.

I was thinking of a vinyl roof and looking in general at vinyl roofs online when i came across this, the car is more or less the same colour as mine and the roof a similar colour to the seats/door cards and dashboard :

Just look at that boot badge!

As for the Everflex roof, isn't that just a brand name of a vinyl roof?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 25th, 2020, 22:23   #2085
Dippydog
Premier Member

"Lesser" cars had Vinyl while Rolls Royces had Everflex,much like "lesser" cars broke down where a Rolls would "fail to proceed".Same result at the end of the day.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 25th, 2020, 23:51   #2086
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydog View Post
"Lesser" cars had Vinyl while Rolls Royces had Everflex,much like "lesser" cars broke down where a Rolls would "fail to proceed".Same result at the end of the day.
Funny thing is, a lot of Rolls-Royces and Bentleys (before they were split up and sold worthlessly to the Germans) were "parts bin specials".

For example, the fuel injected models of the mid-80s onwards use the same crank position sensor as the 7/9xx models or at least some of them. There are loads of other parts that i can't think of just now as well.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2020, 07:18   #2087
Othen
Premier Member

Default Winter Tyres

... another light frost overnight and the daytime temperatures aren't forecast to rise about 6C this week - I think I got the change to winter tyres just about right :-)
Old Nov 26th, 2020, 09:51   #2088
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
A little bit cheeky i know Alan but i know Loki the GLT follows this thread and i promised him some time ago i'd keep an eye out for a Slant Four for him. During my late night stumbling around ebay last night as discussed in another thread, i found this one he may be interested in :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-...O/254783292103

Probably one of the best and certainly the nicest colour scheme for that model, i'd question the originality though as i'm sure the GLS had the twin-carb set-up and that one is a single carb. Possibly converted to get rid of the auto-choke that some of them had and/or economy reasons although the one i had (basic VX 2300) actually improved the economy when i fitted twin-carbs to it as well as unleashing an extra 30bhp.

That said, if i win the lottery tonight, i'll be throwing a stupid bid in!

Apologies for being cheeky and posting this in your RB thread but i hope you understand!
I know about this car; its original number plate, which was a "T-suffix" is on retention AFAIK, and it was sold into the trade by the Club member who holds the original number plates. It has the correct carb set-up as only the VX4/90 and VX490 had twin carbs. To get another 30bhp from a 2300 you'd have needed a Blydenstein head as the stock units put out 108 in single carb form and 116 in twin-carb form, although I suspect the horses were Shetland ponies rather than Clydesdales. Apart from the asking price, the fact that it's an auto puts me off.
Getting back to Volvos - this is the Volvoforums.org after all - I really like the Pholus/244 combination on the Royal Barge. The wheels look like an updated "Corona" that early 240GLEs had.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2020, 10:09   #2089
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
Getting back to Volvos - this is the Volvoforums.org after all - I really like the Pholus/244 combination on the Royal Barge. The wheels look like an updated "Corona" that early 240GLEs had.
Many thanks for that vote of confidence Loki, it was a slight gamble but I think the wheels have worked well with the RB.

Alan
Old Nov 26th, 2020, 11:14   #2090
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Wheels look great Alan! I must say I hate them on 940s but they look spot on fitted to your 244. Definitely worth keeping them, I think you might be right that being a saloon helps the image too.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post: