Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Srs module send away repair/vida question.. Help please

Views : 674

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 12th, 2020, 21:52   #1
M4ss4

Default Srs module send away repair/vida question.. Help please

Hi,

Hoping someone can help. I have been tackling some electrical gremlins over the past couple of weeks and have a srs system service urgent message and red triangle warning. I purchased a vida unit from the super helpful Cheshired5 on here. I managed to get it all hooked up etc and have been slowly getting to grips with vida.

I replaced my battery with a new one last weekend. I did reset the battery in vida. I also had a fault listed for the battery monitoring sensor no signal found or similar.

I investigated the issue battery sensor issue and found that the live to the sensor was in two pieces. It was odd and not ends I found were stripped like they were ready to be joined but they were just inside the heat shield sleeve. I connected that and reset the bms sensor in vida.

I have found the following faults
Srs-0005 Battery power supply low voltage
Srs-00a5 switch for airbag currently on, passenger level of current not permitted
Srs-00a9 switch for airbag currently off, passenger level of current not permitted
Srs-00ab switch for airbag, faulty function.

They are showing up in the unrelated csc section however they show green for the current cycle in the little traffic light display. In delivery I get a clean bill of health with no faults being found. I have tried the update section and also gone through the fault tracing routes clicking through the vtx2000 (maybe something similar)

I have spent lots of hours researching and hours sat in the car with vida also... Now I am thinking about pulling the srs module and having it reset by one of the many companies offering this service. This seems to have cured similar faults for many volvo car types.

So before I actually do it does anyone have any other suggestions to try?

I assume that once I remove the sensor I can reattach the battery so I can lock the car whilst it is parked up until I can reinstall it? I am assuming that as long as I don't start the car the cem etc won't try to speak to the other modules and this will be safe?

Happy to receive any suggestions to try in vida or otherwise.

My dice is the 2014d version.

Thanks in advance

Dave

Last edited by M4ss4; Sep 12th, 2020 at 23:51.
M4ss4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2020, 18:43   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

SRS 0005 relates to voltage in the SRS system which could be a specific wiring issue given that you have no voltage issues with other modules.

All the other codes relate specifically to the switchable passenger airbag so could be a faulty switch or wiring further back in the system.

With the correct vehicle profile selected, you can select fault tracing in the Search tab then manually type in the fault codes for an explanation and possible causes and fixes.
When typing a fault code to search, omit the dash and leave a space between the module and code number so SRS-005 by typing SRS 0005, press enter then click on the result.
Old Sep 13th, 2020, 20:24   #3
M4ss4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
SRS 0005 relates to voltage in the SRS system which could be a specific wiring issue given that you have no voltage issues with other modules.

All the other codes relate specifically to the switchable passenger airbag so could be a faulty switch or wiring further back in the system.

With the correct vehicle profile selected, you can select fault tracing in the Search tab then manually type in the fault codes for an explanation and possible causes and fixes.
When typing a fault code to search, omit the dash and leave a space between the module and code number so SRS-005 by typing SRS 0005, press enter then click on the result.
Thanks for the reply Simon

If the specific line is showing green in the current cycle would that not indicate that it has no fault present? I certainly followed the wiring back, albeit I haven't removed the glove box since getting the dice unit. Will have a poke about in the wiring further. I have bought and installed a new switch from my local dealership yesterday. This didn't change the position of vida.

Have posted an image of the codes and the cycle

Thanks, Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200912_143143_resized_20200913_082043300.jpg (299.4 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by M4ss4; Sep 13th, 2020 at 22:24.
M4ss4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2020, 21:47   #4
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4ss4 View Post
If the specific line is showing green in the current cycle would that not indicate that it has no fault present?
For me yes as I'm only ever concerned with faults shown in the Initial State tab and pay no attention to the Unrelated CSC tab.

If a fault is significant, it will appear in the Initial State tab, generate a dash warning or be an obvious fault during regular use of the car.
If you have none of these, I wouldn't worry and there's also nothing suggesting an SRS module fault.

Your codes are very specific to the passenger airbag switch and/or wiring so that's where I'd concentrate my efforts.

Last edited by cheshired5; Sep 13th, 2020 at 21:49.
cheshired5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 12th, 2021, 11:12   #5
Classman

Default SRS Module...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4ss4 View Post
Hi,

Hoping someone can help. I have been tackling some electrical gremlins over the past couple of weeks and have a srs system service urgent message and red triangle warning. I purchased a vida unit from the super helpful Cheshired5 on here. I managed to get it all hooked up etc and have been slowly getting to grips with vida.

I replaced my battery with a new one last weekend. I did reset the battery in vida. I also had a fault listed for the battery monitoring sensor no signal found or similar.

I investigated the issue battery sensor issue and found that the live to the sensor was in two pieces. It was odd and not ends I found were stripped like they were ready to be joined but they were just inside the heat shield sleeve. I connected that and reset the bms sensor in vida.

I have found the following faults
Srs-0005 Battery power supply low voltage
Srs-00a5 switch for airbag currently on, passenger level of current not permitted
Srs-00a9 switch for airbag currently off, passenger level of current not permitted
Srs-00ab switch for airbag, faulty function.

They are showing up in the unrelated csc section however they show green for the current cycle in the little traffic light display. In delivery I get a clean bill of health with no faults being found. I have tried the update section and also gone through the fault tracing routes clicking through the vtx2000 (maybe something similar)

I have spent lots of hours researching and hours sat in the car with vida also... Now I am thinking about pulling the srs module and having it reset by one of the many companies offering this service. This seems to have cured similar faults for many volvo car types.

So before I actually do it does anyone have any other suggestions to try?

I assume that once I remove the sensor I can reattach the battery so I can lock the car whilst it is parked up until I can reinstall it? I am assuming that as long as I don't start the car the cem etc won't try to speak to the other modules and this will be safe?

Happy to receive any suggestions to try in vida or otherwise.

My dice is the 2014d version.

Thanks in advance

Dave
.......hiya read my answer earlier today...to another guy....all done for £35.
Classman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2021, 15:46   #6
MGSheff

Smile

Hi M4ss4 (Dave)

I hope you are keeping well.

Sorry for butting in on this thread, I did try sending a PM but I don't have 30 posts yet.

I have a problem with my 2010 V70 D5 150k miles. I have a feeling that if I take it to a main dealer I will end having to scrap it as their costs will be more than the car is worth.

Soot filter full message - I have taken steps to rectify this but the message remains.
Engine system service required - I have taken steps to rectify this (drain off some sump oil) but it occasionally gave a low oil warning so I replaced the oil. The Engine system service required message still remains.
Cooling system service required - I looked into the possible causes with a view to fixing this but the symptoms disappeared and the message disappeared. Fixed itself!
Possible limp mode - I hope it's limp mode and not something more serious / expensive.

I've got a cheap Autel OBD2 reader - It sees the VIN number but it doesn't see any error codes.

I've bought a VXDiag Nano from Amazon, it came with a disk with software but no instructions. I'm on the verge of sending it back. I think the hardware may be connecting as one of the pieces of the software (VXManager) I have managed to get it to send a message to the ECU and the ECU replied.
The Vida software I have either not been able to get it to install or when I have got it installed I can't log into it.

I did a Google search this morning and came up with a couple of threads you have contributed to as well as Cherished5
I wish I'd found these a couple of weeks ago.
You mentioned about about having the Vida setup available in the Sheffield area.
I'm not sure how long we are going to be in lock down but I'd really appreciate to see if your set up works on my car Or if I can find a way to check if my VXDiag is good or bad before I send it back.

If it's not possible I may contact CheshireD5 and use his services.

Kind regards Mark
MGSheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2021, 17:29   #7
SwissXC90
Premier Member

MGSheff: forcing a regen would help clear the soot filter.
But you cannot force a regen until the engine is error free and operating normally

So focus on fixing the engine faults: and you will need VIDA to get proper fault analysis and provide you with fault finding procedures, for which you then need a Brain to interpret.

In other words, you always need to apply common sense and understanding to everything you read. Don't just blindly accept what the computer says is true.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 27th, 2021, 11:17   #8
MGSheff

Thumbs up

Hi Swiss
I did try taking an hour long motorway trip at about 2000rpm but that didn't clear the message.
Later, I added a bottle of DPF regenerating fluid to the tank and took it for an hour long motorway trip at 3000 to 4000 rpm and that has not cleared the message.
Connecting to VIDA is my next step.
MGSheff is offline   Reply With Quote