Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C30 t5r

Views : 1244

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 26th, 2021, 23:16   #1
s40t4trowsdale

Default C30 t5r

Evening all,

Been looking at the c30 t5r, but dont know what im looking at fully, whats a good price for them and what should i be looking out for?

Thanks

Adam
s40t4trowsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2021, 08:21   #2
domhart10
Volvo S40

A little more info would of been very useful as that is incredibly vague.

T5R is T5 Rdesign so im guessing thats 2008 >

Mileage?

Manual / Auto?

etc etc ....

without the above info the only things I can say is make sure that it has 4 wheels.

For price again, there is no point even asking this unless we know the above ... so at the moment I will say £1

Going on what I can assume for the car that will be getting on a bit, is to make sure the oil changes have been done regularly.
if the mileage over 90k, has the cambelt been done?
if over 120k has the alternator been changed? the battery? the clutch?

130k onwards the bushes will start getting quite worn if still on the same ones, same with the dampers. will probably find the coils have been replaced as the oem ones tend to crack.

Check engine around oil filter housing if there is any evidence of oil, will be leading to PVC issue. although the newer 2008 models have a different housing to the older ones this will be less likely to happen.

check for leaks underneath for any oil / liquids after a test drive. collant pipes are old and will split around the gearbox which is a common fault.

Does car start up without any hesitation? drive smoothily through the rev range? if not could be a list of things from spark plugs to TCV.

Check around ECU for any water residue which will fail these ECU's causing a lot of problems.

Many more to check but I think that should be enough for now.

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to domhart10 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 27th, 2021, 09:15   #3
Markos01

As Dom says, plus I'll add that I had my facelift 2010 C30 T5 for 1.5 years. I changed the PCV and rear calipers, other than that it was routine servicing. Cam belt needs doing around 100k/10 years. IMO the facelift looks much more modern. They don't come with a lot of extra spec, so you can wait forever for a high spec one. Check driver's seat for tears on the base, make sure there's no vibration when accelerating. Quite a few get modified with lower suspension or remapped to go up to around the 270bhp mark. Expect a bit of torque steer when accelerating hard. Suspension components can wear on these so check previous MOTs for mention of play etc. Other than that they are a lovely, stealthy hatchback, plenty of power, good looking. I changed the rear section of the exhaust to allow a bit more of the 5 cylinder epic noise out. With the standard exhaust cold start sounds nice, but after that you can hardly hear it.
Old Jan 27th, 2021, 19:56   #4
s40t4trowsdale

Thankyou very helpful, given me good points to think about.
s40t4trowsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2021, 19:21   #5
oilit
All the gear - no idea

They seem to becoming rather desirable - I have been looking for a while for the right spec, and have come to the conclusion low owner count, low miles, full history, and the right spec is like unicorn hunting. I have seen prices vary from 3k - 12k for the R-design T5 - all dependent upon the history and spec - as others have said - there wasn't too much the original buyer could spec - as extras.

I have just compromised on colour for a 1 owner <40k miler one with FVSH
oilit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2021, 09:19   #6
Markos01

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilit View Post
They seem to becoming rather desirable - I have been looking for a while for the right spec, and have come to the conclusion low owner count, low miles, full history, and the right spec is like unicorn hunting. I have seen prices vary from 3k - 12k for the R-design T5 - all dependent upon the history and spec - as others have said - there wasn't too much the original buyer could spec - as extras.

I have just compromised on colour for a 1 owner <40k miler one with FVSH
Sounds a nice example. There's very few high spec facelifts out there, in fact I'm not sure I've ever seen a really high spec facelift for sale. I know of one guy with a 12 plate T5 in Polestar blue with a LOT of options, and kmb on here has a lovely white one with high spec, but that's about it!
Old Feb 15th, 2021, 18:37   #7
oilit
All the gear - no idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markos01 View Post
Sounds a nice example. There's very few high spec facelifts out there, in fact I'm not sure I've ever seen a really high spec facelift for sale. I know of one guy with a 12 plate T5 in Polestar blue with a LOT of options, and kmb on here has a lovely white one with high spec, but that's about it!
Thanks - yes I was looking for the sunroof and electric seats - in polestar blue but alas it wasn't to be, and decided low owner count and no modifications were more important for me. So it had to be Betty's previous pride and joy - in metallic white in R-Design!

It has been serviced annually without exception from the supplying dealer - but at 11 years old there is no indication the timing belt has been done - so that's the first job !

Last edited by oilit; Feb 15th, 2021 at 18:39.
Old Feb 16th, 2021, 10:01   #8
domhart10
Volvo S40

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilit View Post
Thanks - yes I was looking for the sunroof and electric seats - in polestar blue but alas it wasn't to be, and decided low owner count and no modifications were more important for me. So it had to be Betty's previous pride and joy - in metallic white in R-Design!

It has been serviced annually without exception from the supplying dealer - but at 11 years old there is no indication the timing belt has been done - so that's the first job !
FYI if you are planning on doing the timing belt, if you are thinking of modding .... should have a look at getting the block mod done. Inserting small sleeves inbetween the cylinders to reinforce and prevent them from cracking. This is a common fault on this engine over all the T5 and Focus guys when it comes to modding.

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2021, 13:47   #9
oilit
All the gear - no idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by domhart10 View Post
FYI if you are planning on doing the timing belt, if you are thinking of modding .... should have a look at getting the block mod done. Inserting small sleeves inbetween the cylinders to reinforce and prevent them from cracking. This is a common fault on this engine over all the T5 and Focus guys when it comes to modding.
Thanks - but no plans on modifications - want it factory standard !
Old Feb 24th, 2021, 21:26   #10
ricp

OP, I’ve just bought a T5 R design in (Polestar?) blue. Unmodified and one owner, which is going to replace my daily driver Alfa Romeo GT. I wanted something different, comfortable and quickish for my 30 mile A road commute.
The only thing it didn’t have was heated seats and I wonder if these are retro-fitable as I got a spare centre console with the heated seat switches and 2 heated seats thrown in as spares. However research suggests it is not that simple.
First impressions are a lovely colour, very comfortable (my days and nights shifts are 12 hours long), effortless to make progress and a decent stereo.
Things to do are replace the faded R design badge and I’d like a gentle lowering as it does sit a bit high. And possibly a Polestar upgrade but at £795 from my local Volvo garage, I’m not sure that it adds enough for the outlay. I know other cheaper maps are available but I’d like to keep it drivable rather than outright power.
Prices appear to be very varied but there aren’t that may around. For me colour outside, the light 2 tone interior, manual were the essentials so I paid what I was comfortable with, £8k, rather that hold out for the lowest price My first Volvo from a very varied car history but I’m becoming fond of it already.

Last edited by ricp; Feb 24th, 2021 at 21:59.
ricp is offline   Reply With Quote