Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

excessive cranking

Views : 1896

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 19th, 2011, 01:00   #11
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

Sounds about the same as mine too. It might be worth checking your fuel rail pressure after the cars is standing for a while to see where it is settling.
Certainly not something to be too worried about though.

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CTCNetwork For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 01:45   #12
SMITHBAYVOLVO
big d.motorsports

maybe fuel check valve
SMITHBAYVOLVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 03:49   #13
Diesel-do-nicely
Master Member

Default cold cranking

From cold, turn the ignition on for 4 seconds and off for 4 seconds 3 times without turning the starter motor, this will activate the fuel pump , and pressurise the fuel rail.
If then on the 4th turn you turn the key on and to the starter motor position and it fires up straight away, you have an answer.
It's either an injector leaking down while the car is swiched off, or the non return valve in the fuel feed side is malfunctioning, or the fse is leaking down on the return side.
I think !
Diesel-do-nicely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 03:57   #14
Diesel-do-nicely
Master Member

Smile further thought

If it is an injector leeking, it must be sorted right away.
The affected cyllinder will eventually loose compression from having its oil effectively washed away whilst standing by the petrol so that when it starts up there is little residual lubrication and the rings will scrape metal on metal.
This used to be a real hassle on early k-jetronic equiped engines , not so much now with electrically opened "modern" injectors.
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 10:46   #15
stevieturbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel-do-nicely View Post
If it is an injector leeking, it must be sorted right away.
The affected cyllinder will eventually loose compression from having its oil effectively washed away whilst standing by the petrol so that when it starts up there is little residual lubrication and the rings will scrape metal on metal.
This used to be a real hassle on early k-jetronic equiped engines , not so much now with electrically opened "modern" injectors.
the engine would be in a very dire condition if a little petrol caused it to lose compression.

And you certainly wouldnt want any lubrication on the rings that create compression in the first place. That's why there is an oil control ring to prevent any oil getting near the first and second.
You want that perfect metal-metal seal !!

And a leaking injector would cause a missfire on startup due to a single flooded cylinder. Nothing more. But the chances of that are extremely rare.

And even if the fuel system doesnt maintain pressure on shut down. It will make virtually no difference to how long the engine takes to start, as the instant you key on, the pump primes anyway.
stevieturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 23:28   #16
Diesel-do-nicely
Master Member

Wink You are nearly correct but

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieturbo View Post
the engine would be in a very dire condition if a little petrol caused it to lose compression.

And you certainly wouldnt want any lubrication on the rings that create compression in the first place. That's why there is an oil control ring to prevent any oil getting near the first and second.
You want that perfect metal-metal seal !!

And a leaking injector would cause a missfire on startup due to a single flooded cylinder. Nothing more. But the chances of that are extremely rare.

And even if the fuel system doesnt maintain pressure on shut down. It will make virtually no difference to how long the engine takes to start, as the instant you key on, the pump primes anyway.
Ther is a layer of oil in the bore, a few molecules thick, that the oil control ring doesnt completely remove.
The top 2 rings are there to maintain compression from the combustion process, thats why they are shaped the way they are, the oil control ring is there to remove "windage" splash from the bore, both upwards and downwards.
Thats why it is 2 thin rings with a helicoil mesh between that drains the oil through the skirt back via holes in the piston on that ring landing only.
Rubbish oil can block these holes and cause smokey engines.
It is basically the only thing oil additives remove as they are just a shot of detergent.
2 stroke engines do not have the oil ring as they are a dry crankcase, some very long stroke engines have 3 compression rings as they have problems with induced angle during the stroke leading to wobble which this set up can help.
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 23:48   #17
stevieturbo

Not sure what relevance that post has ?

As I said, the engine would need to be in a very dire state to be losing compression from a little fuel in the cylinder.

And I'd imagine any miniscule layer of oil if it did exist on the bore walls, would soon burn off during combustion. So it may be a dirty/clean process every cycle to a very small degree. But the top ring is the main combustion seal. The second ring wouldnt provide much seal, but it would provide the final clean function for any traces of oil. Often it is shaped as a sharp edged scraper too.

If the rings/pistons did get contaminated by oil, they would soon start sticking and losing their seal through a build of of deposits. Not perfectly good clean rings.
The materials the rings are made from, are intended for totally dry operation. No oil should be present, nor would you want it. Which is why the oil/second ring are designed to remove it from the bore wall.

In short, a little fuel washing the bore clean will do no harm, and certainly wont cause any engine to lose compression such that it will effect starting. It may soak the plug which could affect starting, but that's a different issue.
Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 00:25   #18
Diesel-do-nicely
Master Member

Default relevance

[QUOTE=stevieturbo;822930]Not sure what relevance that post has ?

As I said, the engine would need to be in a very dire state to be losing compression from a little fuel in the cylinder.

And I'd imagine any miniscule layer of oil if it did exist on the bore walls, would soon burn off during combustion.

Are you imagining from experience ?
Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 16:58   #19
stevieturbo

[QUOTE=Diesel-do-nicely;822957]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieturbo View Post
Not sure what relevance that post has ?

And I'd imagine any miniscule layer of oil if it did exist on the bore walls, would soon burn off during combustion.

Are you imagining from experience ?
Well Ive never had a chemical analysis or had bores inspected with an electron microscope if that's what you're asking.

Have you ?
Old Jan 24th, 2011, 00:14   #20
monkeh
Pain in the backside

Quote:
Originally Posted by '88740GL View Post
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Does it start like the one in the video? Thats mine by the way, Fires up all the same, right through the cold we just had...-17oC no problems!
Wow! A ford 6000 stereo! You must be desperate!

As for mine, Is the same as your video...
If it takes a long time, One more thing that might make it take a while is a leaky injector. Dripping fuel into the cylinder essentially 'Flooding' it!