Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 turbo saloon wentworth

Views : 2048

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 25th, 2007, 19:20   #21
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Congratulations And welcome to the Volvo wonderland/loony bin!

Its nice to see that you're taking the same approach as me - ie give the car a genuinely comprehensive service as soon as you buy. IMHO its the best way to ensure reliability - and a continued Volvo love affair.

I've copied your list of parts below and have added comments where necessary - I'd reiterate CTC's comments about genuine parts - some parts you can get away with pattern bits, but others you really need OEM quality to prevent damage.

air filter - pattern/Volvo/Champion etc part should be ok - the only difference is airflow (and price). I have a K&N panel filter which allows much better airflow, but sadly doesn't filter the air quite as well. Swings and roundabouts.

oil filter - use MANN or Volvo only. They have a pressure relief valve built in which ensures that oil pressure is maintained from the instant you start the car. Pattern filters don't have this, so you risk very low oil pressure for the first few seconds. I've been told that later Champion filters now include this, but I haven't looked as at £4ish for a Mann one its not worth the risk. (Mann make the Volvo brand filters).

fuel filter - not problem in using quality pattern parts here. GSF sourced parts are fine.

spark plugs - NGK are the best fitment IMHO. There have been reports of Bosch plugs failing (as in falling apart) in the US. I use BPR6ES and love them.

sump plug gasket - OEM part only

brake pads - I'd stick with Volvo or a good brand - Ferodo or Mintex. You don't need performance pads, just good quality unless you'll be driving pretty aggressively.

timing belt tensioner - OEM or GSF. I bought a GSF one to see what it was like, and it was a good quality german made part, so I fitted it.
camshaft front oil seal - OEM only IMHO. Its cheap and seems to last better than pattern parts.

manifold gasket sets - most gaskets are fine as pattern parts IMHO, however, the Volvo headgasket has graphite layers top & bottom which help to prevent HG damage due to the different expansion rates of the iron block and aluminium head. Its expensive, and I'm sure a non OEM one would be fine, but a HG replacement is a pretty long job and I only wanted to do it once

Timing belt - OEM only - why risk it?

accessory drive belts - pattern parts should be fine.

thermostat - pattern part fine

ignition lead set - OEM quality. Volvo use Bougicord ignition leads and while the cheaper sets work ok, I've always thought that the Bougicords last longer and feel better made. Not cheap, but I've never had problems with these, whereas the Hotwires set I fitted once didn't fit correctly on the distributor cap (they weren't big enough) and one lead came adrift altogether - not good if it happens when you NEED to accelerate!

transmission oil - I think the later 5 speed box (M90) needs a synthetic oil, whereas the earlier M46 boxes were ok with the usual gear oil - you'll need to check your owners handbook for the spec required.

engine oil - Volvo spec is a semi-synthetic oil for the 940 turbo - you quoted a 5w oil which is way too thin. Correct spec is a 10w40. I use a fully synthetic (Mobil 1). I'd recommend you flush the engine, use a cheap (Comma) fully synthetic oil for a month or so, then drain that and fill with a good quality fully synthetic. Not cheap, but you know that your engine will be protected no matter what abuse you give it

Hope this helps.

9437431 Volvo Brake Fluid, DOT 4+ (0.8 Litre)
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2007, 19:41   #22
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingThunder View Post
accessory drive belts - pattern parts should be fine.
The only provso I would add would be to get belts at the same time and matched as sometimes different belt lengths can be an issue...
Depends on the engine setup and what is being driven on the belts...

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2007, 23:47   #23
chopperead

A couple more added after reading a previous post of yours Rolling thunder:

PFV902330 940 91' on Distributor Cap GB £16.39

PFV902570 900 series 91' on Rotor Arm GB £4.00
chopperead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2007, 23:55   #24
davebslater(uk)
redbollock guru

and dont forget sweden as a source of parts , err , they have loads .

enem , spm , kgtrimning are pretty decent suppliers.

getrag conversions are also popular , ive got two !!
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 12:18   #25
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopperead View Post
A couple more added after reading a previous post of yours Rolling thunder:

PFV902330 940 91' on Distributor Cap GB £16.39

PFV902570 900 series 91' on Rotor Arm GB £4.00
Definitely! Some less scrupulous mechanics skip these as they're a bit of a pain to replace, but they MUST be replaced in order to retain good running/starting. Thanks for the reminder chopperead
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote