Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 heater matrix failure

Views : 1574

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 12th, 2023, 12:48   #11
Ross 63
Breaks things

Laney,

With the quick succession of blown hoses, leaking water pump, and now a leaky heater matrix, I think it's worth checking you don't have excessive coolant pressure. Hopefully all a coincidence but it's possible the head gasket is not perfectly healthy.
Old Feb 12th, 2023, 13:33   #12
Laney760
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross 63 View Post
Laney,

With the quick succession of blown hoses, leaking water pump, and now a leaky heater matrix, I think it's worth checking you don't have excessive coolant pressure. Hopefully all a coincidence but it's possible the head gasket is not perfectly healthy.
Thanks, noted. This had occured to me and others. Although the head gasket was done in November 2021. Hot oil leaked onto the hoses and its probable the red coolant they put in rotted the brass solder in the matrix? Water pumps have been an issue long before the new head gasket went in to be honest.

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laney760 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2023, 13:36   #13
Laney760
VOC Member

Smile

The new matrix with copper and brass which I have received is by Foursome Vehicle Heaters Ltd. It may be possible that they are actually cheaper directly from them than from the third party who I bought it from via Ebay:

http://vehicleheaters.co.uk/index.html

http://vehicleheaters.co.uk/Heater%2...Catalogue.html

Foursome Vehicle Heaters Ltd, Brockhill Works, Windsor Road, Redditch, Worcs B97 6DJ info@vehicleheaters.co.uk Tel : (01527) 64126

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Laney760 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2023, 17:55   #14
Ross 63
Breaks things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laney760 View Post
Thanks, noted. This had occured to me and others. Although the head gasket was done in November 2021. Hot oil leaked onto the hoses and its probable the red coolant they put in rotted the brass solder in the matrix? Water pumps have been an issue long before the new head gasket went in to be honest.
I don't think organic acids are so corrosive to brass that it would cause a leak after such brief use. I don't buy the hot oil bit either. Those hoses between the bulkhead and the No 4 end of the engine are pretty durable. The coolant hoses under the oil cooler plate get far more contaminated. I think it's unlikely that oil alone would cause them to let go. Oil combined with higher than rated pressure is more likely.

It would be worth seeing how much coolant pressure you have after a run. At operating pressure, you should be able to squeeze the top radiator hose so that the inner walls are touching without using undue effort. Noted that the garage replaced the head gasket a little over a year ago, but I guess this is the same place that used the wrong coolant.
Old Feb 13th, 2023, 11:05   #15
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I don't think organic acids are so corrosive to brass that it would cause a leak after such brief use. I don't buy the hot oil bit either. Those hoses between the bulkhead and the No 4 end of the engine are pretty durable.
It's the solder the acid in the OAT coolant attacks.

Also given the previous HGF, it's possible those hoses were already weakened, presumably they were 20+ years old and original so the HGF would have caused undue stress to them, combine that with an oil leak and it probably wouldn't take long, even at normal running pressure for one of them to go pop.
The oil cooler hoses are made from a more resilient comopund than plain heater hoses for exactly this reason.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 13th, 2023, 12:20   #16
Ross 63
Breaks things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
It's the solder the acid in the OAT coolant attacks.

Also given the previous HGF, it's possible those hoses were already weakened, presumably they were 20+ years old and original so the HGF would have caused undue stress to them, combine that with an oil leak and it probably wouldn't take long, even at normal running pressure for one of them to go pop.
The oil cooler hoses are made from a more resilient comopund than plain heater hoses for exactly this reason.
All true Dave. Still, it takes 30 seconds to check the coolant pressure as belt and braces. Having experienced the results of an incorrectly repaired head gasket failure myself, it's worth remaining diligent and not writing off possibilities.
Old Feb 13th, 2023, 12:42   #17
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
All true Dave. Still, it takes 30 seconds to check the coolant pressure as belt and braces. Having experienced the results of an incorrectly repaired head gasket failure myself, it's worth remaining diligent and not writing off possibilities.
Indeed you're right Ross, however the expansion tank cap should take care of any excess pressure as it's desgined to vent at either 16psi or 23psi depending whether it's 1.1 or 1.5 bar - at one time Volvo caps were colour coded but sadly no longer. The pressure is only really there to raise the boiling point of the coolant in any case.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 13th, 2023, 15:22   #18
baggy798
🤍💙💗

When was the coolant cap replaced? Bit of a coincidence that all 3 things have started to leak in a short time, which could all be caused by over-pressurisation.

I wouldn't use a garage again if they used OAT coolant. They should know better! Although like Ross said, it's unlikely to cause damage if it was only in a short time.
Old Feb 13th, 2023, 18:33   #19
940volvoman
Master Member

I'm interested to know how the pressure relief part of the coolant cap works, if anybody know I would like to hear...
940volvoman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 940volvoman For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 13th, 2023, 18:35   #20
940volvoman
Master Member

Dave(Mr Laird Scooby) what did you mean when you wrote the coolant caps used to be colour coded, but not any more. My new one was still green,like the original...
940volvoman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 940volvoman For This Useful Post: