Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New tyres

Views : 1022

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 24th, 2012, 00:39   #1
Chrali

Default New tyres

Treated the Big V to some love and the credit card to some abuse today.

Had 4 new tyres fitted, but I was tempted to be a cheap skate and keep the best of the lousy Runway Enduros on the front, but bit the bullet as they are lousy tyres and were more than half worn anyway as well as perishing/cracked.

I bought Avon ZV5's for £200 all in from a local tyre place. That was £30 less than Nationwide despite their buy 1 get 1 free offer!!

Checked tha date code on the tyres and they're all made within the last 3-4 months.

Seemed like a good price and I love the Avons ZT5s on my Corolla. Glad I didn't go budget like I was tempted on an earlier thread. They makes the car look soooo nice and I'll have a nicer ride and more confidence in the wet, when she returns to the road anyway!

Right now its another job off the list.

It does make my spend over the 15k miles I've driven the car £1,650 and that doesn't include the cost of the car. I could by lots of 940s for that

It WAS a PITA however as the cars on SORN and not insured, so I had to use the cars wind up jack ....

... to raise one rear wheel, put the spare on
... let the jack down
... to raise the other rear wheel, support car on axle stand
... let the jack down
... scoot to the tyre shop in the corolla with the wheels in my boot
... wind up the jack, fit the wheel, remove axle stand
... let the jack down
... scoot to the rear with the spare wind up the jack, take of spare, fit the wheel
... let the jack down
... cross legs as busting for a pee!
.. wind up jack to raise one front wheel, put the spare on
... let the jack down
... to raise the other front wheel, support car on axle stand
... let the jack down
... race inside trying not to get black muck in the house and have a pee .... ahhh simple pleasures
... scoot to the tyre shop in the corolla with the wheels in my boot
... wind up the jack, fit the wheel, remove axle stand
... let the jack down
... scoot to the front with the spare wind up the jack, take of spare and fit the wheel
... let the jack down
... sweating like I've done a workout!!!!!

I guess for me it was!

Guess where all my tools are rolling about? Yup under the boot floor, which even made getting the spare out and back in a pain, so it forced me to tidy that as well.

Last edited by Chrali; Jun 24th, 2012 at 01:53.
Chrali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2012, 10:22   #2
Kevs Estate

I bought some Avons the same as yours, which i was very pleased with and thinking, just like the last Avons i bought, that they were made in England. I had a shock to see that they were in fact made in China!
Only time will tell now if they are of the same quality.
Kevs Estate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2012, 11:58   #3
Chrali

They'll be fine! My other Avons Zx5's say engineered in Britain, so I guess these do as well. Not fussed where they're manufactured as long as they they are engineered properly. If they cut corners on that they'll lose there reputation as a decent medium-premium tyre and go down the pan.
Old Jun 24th, 2012, 12:04   #4
Kevs Estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrali View Post
They'll be fine! My other Avons Zx5's say engineered in Britain, so I guess these do as well. Not fussed where they're manufactured as long as they they are engineered properly. If they cut corners on that they'll lose there reputation as a decent medium-premium tyre and go down the pan.
That is my thinking/hoping, now i've got them fitted to my car.
Lets face it, Avon would surely not make them to the same low standard as chinese budget tyres, due to the fact they're made in China would they?
Kevs Estate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2012, 14:05   #5
Chrali

Absolutely not - low labour - yes, same materials and design - no. The difference is night and day between Avons and budget chinese ditch finders. The Runways on the Volvo were down right scary in the wet, the Avons hugged like glue on the Corolla at least.
I'm comfortable with the Avons. I think they're owned by Coopers Tires now as well.
Old Jun 24th, 2012, 15:30   #6
Moosejaw
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevs Estate View Post
Lets face it, Avon would surely not make them to the same low standard as chinese budget tyres, due to the fact they're made in China would they?
The thing to remember about anything made in China is this...

When you see "made in China" on a product, that in itself is no indication of cheap and shoddy manufacture.
The Chinese are perfectly capable of manufacturing things to the same standards as everyone else if that's what they're asked to do, but more often than not the design brief they're given is "make 'em cheap", so "cheap" is what you get.

Any Western industrial moguls would do well to remember what happened to our manufacturing industry when we dismissed the Japanese a mere 40 years ago.
That short-sightedness cost us our car and bike industries.

I've had Avons on a couple of cars recently, including my Alfa 156 and it cornered like it was on rails with them fitted, so I'd rest easy.
Moosejaw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moosejaw For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 26th, 2012, 07:53   #7
micky1uk
XC90 SE D5 185 Auto

Got 4 Barum tyres on my 2.0 09 V70 & just put 4 on the 57 V70 D5. 4 X 225/50/17/98W XL Barum Bravuris 2 £380. all in @ National tyre there a med range tyre & im very happy with there perfomance. Barum are part of Continental & the tread is same style as the continentals don't take my word for it google barum tyres & read the reveiws hope this helps regards mick
micky1uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2012, 20:30   #8
Chrali

Yeah the Bravuris 2 are a good tyre and were my alternate, but were more expensive than the Avons.
Old Jun 26th, 2012, 20:46   #9
swordfish210

If the Avon's have "Made in China" written on them then they will be made at the Cooper factory there. They're made to the same spec and quality and use the same rubber as the ones that come out of our place in Melksham so no need to worry that they may be of a lesser quality.

Some of them get made there as the UK factory isn't cut out for meeting the production demands and it's cheaper to do that than to expand the factory.
swordfish210 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to swordfish210 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 26th, 2012, 21:22   #10
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

Its interesting to hear from someone who actually knows what goes on. Buying tyres is always a bit of a guess. I bought a set of Goodyears for my car after having a set of Pirellis whos sidewalls cracked after a few years.
They haven't done too bad but are starting to get a bit low now and I wonder what to get next.
Steve940estate is offline   Reply With Quote