Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New S90 Buyer Waiting Patiently But Now Long Delay

Views : 6580

Replies : 61

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 13th, 2020, 16:45   #41
key76

I'll update my tale in the coming weeks. But so far, car ordered in May and still not taken delivery of it.

I have ordered a number of new factory build cars before from Ford to Mercedes, and never waited more than maybe 3 months. This has made for a very poor first experience of the brand and has me seriously wondering whether I made the right decision jumping from Mercedes.
key76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2020, 08:54   #42
golfcaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewbike View Post
I ordered a S90 R-Design Plus T5 in May 2019, was originally told due end of Dec, then 16 Jan and now 26 Jan (due to car carrier being held up in Zeebrugge) - it is, by quite some considerable length, the longest lead time for a car I have ordered. just hoping its worth the wait!
Interesting... same story here. I chased Arval yesterday who in turn chased Volvo. Apparently my car is waiting at Zeebrugge for the next available ship to the UK. There's no guarantee it will get on the next one, so Arval applied pressure and Volvo agreed to prioritise mine to get it on the next boat.

Then it has to travel by train (again) to the dealer.

And this is what annoys me about the dealer - assuming it gets on the next boat they would expect to get it at the dealer by Jan 23. They have given a delivery date to me at home the following day. Arval questioned that on my behalf given they have to PDI it, attach number plates etc. and the dealer admitted that likely won't happen and deliver to me the following day. So why give out unrealistic dates?

I also raised the question about sorting me out with transport in the meantime. Arval said they felt (based on their experience) that Volvo would be unlikely to do anything for me, although they will ask the question.

This car had better be good!
golfcaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2020, 17:09   #43
crashbarrier

Personally, I would have cancelled this car a long time ago. As far as making a mistake switching from Mercedes I wouldn't be so sure. I ordered a new E class estate in Feb '19 for a May '19 delivery. May came and went with no sign of it. I had already been chasing the order and was becoming aware of significant new build delays. It didn't help when MB virtually stopped production of quite a few models pending the new emissions homologation. I got to June/July before finally pulling the order to which the dealer commented "I don't blame you a bit. Wise move as we have no idea when your car will be built."

We then started the hunt again and instead of searching for a new/used stock MB E estate we switched back to the V90CC and found a lovely car up in Welwyn Garden City (ex-Volvo Uk stock) which had everything we wanted and some additional things, one of which I'd rather it didn't but it's not the end of the world.

If the dealer has not made a really good deal with you over this delayed order then I would suggest looking elsewhere.

P.S. I'm curious as to who the dealer 'in the South' is just in case it's near to me.

Last edited by crashbarrier; Jan 16th, 2020 at 18:59.
crashbarrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2020, 17:51   #44
driver99

Volvo don’t leave their cars hanging round the docks for long once they roll off the line. And if you’re really that geeky you can track the vessels in and out of the ports through AIS. DFDS Seaways website has the schedules. From memory the Zeebrugge vessel goes back to Gothenburg before heading to Southampton or Immingham. I’d expect the car delivered about a week after it sails into port, giving the dealer time to prep it.
Old Jan 17th, 2020, 18:21   #45
ovlov04v
Just Cruising.

Dont forget that the S90 comes from China by train. Also Volvo now also use Zeebrugge-Purfleet (3 or 4 ships per day) for many deliveries such as my S60 which arrived there from the US.

So I guess it is also about getting the vehicles from the railhead to the seaport terminal storage. Maybe not so far but away from the seaport offloading areas I think.

My S60 sat at Zeebrugge for about 5 days.

I originally ordered an S90 but chipped out after I realised that the potential for further delays beyond the 6 months I was qouted was very clear. Not only because the possibility of delay in mid winter trekking the car across Russia and Northern Europe but also because the S90 UK version is niche for the Chinese production plant.

The S90 is a great cruiser and I am a little disapppinted not to have stuck with it but the new S60 is also a very good car; just doesnt have that extra little touch of luxury.
Old Jan 17th, 2020, 18:35   #46
key76

I was originally told S90 delivery was by train (and was about 2 weeks from memory). Then when the delay came to light, I was told that had been incorrect and they all came by sea now and took 10+ weeks after an entire train load of cars was stolen in Siberia - that is what the dealer told me - no idea if true or not.
Old Jan 17th, 2020, 19:26   #47
Whippy
Premier Member

This is one of if not the main reason I didn't get the S90 as my last new car, instead I ordered an Audi A6 in the may, drove it out of the showroom six weeks later. Factory build with options. I am not waiting for getting on for ten to twelve months for the honour of driving a Volvo.
Old Jan 18th, 2020, 16:10   #48
ovlov04v
Just Cruising.

"after an entire train load of cars was stolen in Siberia".

Really?? I know salesmen have a wonderful ability to create 'almost credible' stories and are pretty short on factual information but that takes the biscuit. I wonder how long to took it up.

Apart from the fact that there is nothing at all o Gertie Google how likely is it that Volvo/Geely would abandon a huge investment becaus of one incident.

Next time you see them ask them for factual proof and perhaps let us know if it is true.

My info was that the factory in China was flat out meeting Chinese demand and the orders for the UK S90 are given very low priority which is why the car was on 0% PCP rates for so long.
Old Jan 18th, 2020, 17:09   #49
key76

I have been told so many lies on my mission to buy a Volvo, that nothing surprises me at all any more.

Dealers are awful and don't seem to give a damn about selling cars or know what customer service is, and Volvo UK are about the same, telling me every time I had to escalate that the dealer is a franchise and my issue is with them and not Volvo. Nice way to treat customers and seemingly don't care about their brand and the damage the dealers are doing to it.

After all this, if I ever get my S90 then it better be the best car that I have ever owned. I am fed up of everything to date and the whole experience of buying a new car has been sullied, so it won't be a great start to ownership. If I finally become a Volvo owner, I suspect it will be my last no matter what I think of the car, as I have no desire to have to deal with them again and suffer the prolonged incompetence again.

Last edited by key76; Jan 18th, 2020 at 17:19.
Old Jan 18th, 2020, 22:56   #50
Whippy
Premier Member

Try walking into a BMW showroom, unless you look a 'suitable' prospect you may as well not exist.

Tags
xc60, xc60 front knocking