Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 Tow electrics

Views : 567

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 13th, 2024, 10:49   #1
rmvm

Default XC60 Tow electrics

I recently aquired a xc60 B5 Inscription Pro 2021, already fitted with the electric Volvo fitment towbar. I recently hooked the car up to check if everything worked. The outside lights all worked fine including the satisfactory noise when the Alko anti-snake is activated. However, inside the caravan none of the lights worked and the caravan control panel over the door (Swift Conqueror) also wouldn't switch on. What I can't remember is whether or not it was the same on my previous V90 CC. Anyone any thoughts? Thanks Roy
Old Feb 13th, 2024, 11:18   #2
Andymharrison

It may not be true for all combinations of car/van but when I hook up our xc90 the caravan battery swaps over to connect to car rather than caravan and so nothing happens when the master switch is turned on.

If the leisure battery is charging and fridge works in battery mode I'd say all is well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andymharrison For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2024, 04:31   #3
rmvm

Thanks Andy
Old Feb 20th, 2024, 08:50   #4
cumbrianmale
Forum Support Team

Is it 13 pin electrics? From a very distant memory when I had one installed and had a similar issue I found pin 9, I think, wasn't populated. The wire was taped back on the loom. This was where the tow side plugs into the car harness. It may have been on the car side of the connector, as I say it was years ago. Once I inserted it into the plug everything worked.

Previous Volvos
90 240 GL B230FB Auto
96 940 CD
13 V40 D2 R-design
89 745 GLE
98 V90 3.0 24v
98 945 Celebration Auto
96 965 SE Auto
86 744 GL
81 244 DL
cumbrianmale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cumbrianmale For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2024, 13:58   #5
watto64

As with Andy's comments our caravan only has the fridge and battery charging in operation when connected to the car and engine running. The master switch in the caravan does nothing when the engine is on or off when connected to the car.

This was the same on our 2017 Santa Fe.
watto64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to watto64 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2024, 14:29   #6
Andymharrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by watto64 View Post
As with Andy's comments our caravan only has the fridge and battery charging in operation when connected to the car and engine running. The master switch in the caravan does nothing when the engine is on or off when connected to the car.
I assume there is a change-over relay somewhere to disconnect the van from the battery when connected to car but haven't located it. I always thought this was by design to discourage the stupid people who chuck the kids dogs etc in the caravan to have a quiet drive. Years ago it was relatively common to see a bunch of kids pulling faces at passing traffic.

Having seen what's left when a caravan goes over on the motorway I'm glad it doesn't seem to happen anymore.