Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Headlights - Active high beam vs Adaptive Shadow Technology

Views : 31276

Replies : 133

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 11th, 2017, 13:20   #41
Lexman8
Premier Member

I've had an XC90 for 9 months and use AST whenever it's dark. I haven't been flashed once and I'm always amazed at how well the system works; far better than I would've expected.
Old Apr 11th, 2017, 13:28   #42
NickHoward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
I've had an XC90 for 9 months and use AST whenever it's dark. I haven't been flashed once and I'm always amazed at how well the system works; far better than I would've expected.
I wonder if the height of the lights makes a difference (XC90 vs V90).

I love how it works, but I need to test it out more before I get a good opinion on it.

Certainly seems to suit the country roads more than anything else.

Past:MY15 XC60 D4 R-Design Lux Nav, Black
NickHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2017, 13:52   #43
Munroes

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickHoward View Post

I love how it works, but I need to test it out more before I get a good opinion on it.

Certainly seems to suit the country roads more than anything else.
If I am not mistaken, I seem to recall a setting under the lights menu which enables you to set a faster reaction time to the 'dipping' of the main beam.
Munroes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2017, 20:50   #44
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickHoward View Post
Also, the camera (at top of windscreen) which feeds the AST system is higher up.
Old Apr 11th, 2017, 21:47   #45
jmot

only driven once at night since having it and I must say.... amazing! Being able to actually see at night LOL.. Novelty

Had standard Halogens in the now sold A4 Allroad which were like candles in jam jars. Utterly useless.

Not even managed to try AHB yet.
jmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2017, 21:59   #46
neon
Premier Member

Excellent lights, have had the odd flash from oncoming traffic, but not enough to be concerned.
Old Apr 11th, 2017, 22:50   #47
soupytwister
Master Member

Not driven on a country A/B road yet to judge it, but i put the main beam on in our street (i.e., streetlights), and all the street signage for about 200m lit up in bright white like nothing else!! I suspect these lights are going to be mighty impressive on the A-roads....

Got in our old XC90 to move it tonight, and everything seemed so.......yellow?
soupytwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2017, 23:12   #48
Jcbrown

I think the AST is brilliant (groan ) Lights up the road and surrounding area fantastically well, reacts well and quickly when coming up behind another car, or an oncoming vehicle comes into view. A little late in reacting on occasion (and I have it set to the fast option), but most of the time it works great. Almost, but not quite, makes me want the nights to draw in again, or to just go out for an early/late drive just for the hell of it.

But, I do wonder about the brightness of the lights in general and peoples reaction to LEDs. When I took the demo S90 out for an overnight test drive back in early Dec I did about 100 miles and was flashed 5-or-6 times. I doubt I was flashed as many times in the whole 5 years I had my previous car (Bi-Xenons) as on that one night with the S90.

Maybe the settings were on slow, the LHD mode activated, or the lights out of line, but 2-3 of the flashes I got were in lit areas when the main beam was not even on. One car flashed me once, twice, and then put their main beam permanent on. I flashed them, and they reverted to dipped.

Since I got my own S90 I have been flashed a few times, including once/twice when only on dipped beam. I think people are still becoming accustomed to full LED systems, see the clear, bright white and think you have main beam on.

Last edited by Jcbrown; Apr 11th, 2017 at 23:18.
Jcbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jcbrown For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 11th, 2017, 23:34   #49
soupytwister
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcbrown View Post
I think people are still becoming accustomed to full LED systems, see the clear, bright white and think you have main beam on.
To be honest, i will also say some of the ever whiter & brighter LED lights may present an issue. As we all age, your night vision does deteriorate, and your eyes become less able to react to dark & light, which results in "blindness" to the dark areas of vision. As lights get ever brighter, the dark areas get ever darker....

Fine if you're driving a car with bright white lights, but if you're in a car with yellow candles for lights, you're at a distinct disadvantage.
soupytwister is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to soupytwister For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 12th, 2017, 08:56   #50
Torshen

Related question - if you have these switched on, how do you flash other cars, EG to let someone know you're letting them pull out or whatever?
XC90 D5 Momentum (MY18), Osmium Grey, 22" wheels, Blond nappa, Winter + HUD, Xenium, Illumination, Family, Seat Pack, 12.3" display, 230v 3-pin, Heated rear seats, Tinted, CarPlay, Side running boards, Thinkware F770 F+R
Torshen is offline   Reply With Quote