Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wits End

Views : 2853

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 25th, 2015, 22:13   #1
lexel

Unhappy Wits End

Hi folks,
I've got tiresome, uncomfortable, frustrating and ruddy annoying issue when towing with my 2009 XC70 D5 SE Geartronic which I have owned from new, its done 45500 miles, dealer serviced and unabused. Fitted with a Witter detachable tow bar & 13 pin.
I've explored every avenue I can think of for a fix (I'm not a technician and hopeless with spanners) including checking every tread on this forum.

We recently changed our caravan from a very heavy twin axle 2006 Bailey Wyoming to a 2012 single axle Swift Conqueror 570 (with ATC) which is a 88% match for the XC70, I was looking forward to towing a well matched outfit. (The Bailey was towed with Discovery 2)

The reality is that when towing the Swift, the car responds very badly to bumpy or uneven road surfaces. When the van bounces, as I'm assured single axles vans will do, the back end of the car resonates up and down in a totally uncharacteristic and very uncomfortable way. It actually shakes passengers stomachs as it bounces up and down. Without the van coupled the rear suspension on the Volv will compress and rebound once, with it coupled it seems to be much softer and rebounds up to three times when pushed down.

I am fastidious about tyre pressures (38psi on the car and 65psi on the van) and noseweights (90kg for the Volv) and good loading practice.
My local dealer has confirmed that the car is fitted with 'standard' suspension (not self levelling) which they have physically checked and no issues found. Bushes etc are good.
The caravan has been back to the dealer and they report no issues.

As part of the elimination/investigation process I have towed the Swift with a friends Skoda Yeti and it performed as I hoped the Volv would have done, with no adverse reactions to the 'single axle caravan bounce' which I have been told to expect as being normal. Which sadly all points to the problem being with my car and not the van.

I'm hoping to get the Volv back into the dealer this week, they want to put it on their rolling road and electronically check the operation of the suspension.

In the meantime, I'll be happy to learn from anyone's experience of such a problem, especially if you know the cure, and I don't mean sick bags.

Apart from this 'bouncing' problem, the XC70 pulls the caravan with total ease.
Apologies for such a long winded write up, I wanted to avoid a lot of "have you done this and have you done that" type stuff.
Thanks for reading this far.
lexel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2015, 22:35   #2
axle4

i had a 1999 xc70 with the 2.5 petrol in it, towed very well, only thing i can think of is it a proper xc type towbar? because the ride height is higher the standard v70 one.
axle4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2015, 22:40   #3
lexel

Default Wits End

Yes, I forgot to mention that I've also been back to the Towbar centre and its pucker for the XC70.
Thanks.
Old Jan 26th, 2015, 08:07   #4
Youngnick

I would be looking more closely at the rear shock absorbers, at one time they had a recommended life of 40K miles.

One might also expect a difference in ride between the Yeti and the Volvo due to the relative distances between the rear axle and the tow ball.

You are fortunate that your dealer has a rolling road, I bet that will identify the problem.
Youngnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2015, 08:22   #5
Rossi-fan
Premier Member

I would sell your XC, and buy a Skoda Yeti
Rossi-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2015, 16:26   #6
debcab06

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexel View Post
Yes, I forgot to mention that I've also been back to the Towbar centre and its pucker for the XC70.
Thanks.
I think I`d check the height of your 50mm ball against V70 and Yeti.....is it higher??
debcab06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2015, 19:22   #7
lexel

We measured the towball height on my XC70 and the Yeti and they are both 17" from floor to the top of the ball.
Thanks.
Old Jan 26th, 2015, 19:25   #8
volvorocks
Rodney

I would also check your suspension, springs and shock absorbers. Maybe upgrade them?

Also what noseweight can the Volvo take? Is your caravan front heavy?

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2015, 19:27   #9
IainMcL1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi-fan View Post
I would sell your XC, and buy a Skoda Yeti
Two cars ago I had a Yeti 170 TDi .... marvellous car and an excellent towcar!

As for the OP ... I would have expected more pitching with your twin axle than the single ... strange you have it the other way around.

Is your nosweight guage accurate? I used a cheap one for years then swapped to a calibrated Milenco one, the rading was much different!
Old Jan 26th, 2015, 20:26   #10
lexel

Yep, the max noseweight on my XC70 is 90kg, which is observed; and the noseweight tester is a good quality Millenco.
Thanks.