Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Factory amp power wire

Views : 984

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 25th, 2020, 09:32   #1
Arroquw

Default Factory amp power wire

Hello,

I am planning to upgrade my hu603 to an 803, and so I got an 803 and the amp. Everywhere it is said the car should come pre fitted with the amp power wire, but my car doesn't have it.

I have the connector, just need to run it to somewhere where it gets power. When looking at the fuse box in the dash on the driver's side, there is a thick wire running from fuse 17 (the amp fuse) to somewhere, but I haven't been able to find exactly where it goes to. I've found a pdf which describes how to fit the amp, but it is very vague on where the power wire + is connected.

Where to run the + of the amp power wire to?
Arroquw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 19:15   #2
rogerb
Lets take it to bits

The amp as you probably know sits under the right hand seat.
The cable is often under a flap in the carpet under the seat.
Disconnect the battery, un bolt the seat and tilt it backwards, if necessary remove the connector which goes to the Seat.
This will allow you to have a good look about.
Sometimes the cable is tucked up with the loom along the sill.
Also remember you will need to fit a 30 amp fuse.
In an ideal world you should really change the speakers to match the amp.
As the non extra amp speakers are 4 ohm. The extra amp ones are 8 ohm.
If run load this can cause the amp to over heat.
There are two types of amp the normal 4*50w blue label, or the 4*75w yellow label premium amplifier.
The 803 can also power the central speaker, if you have got one to fit in the car. The connection is normally not far from where the speaker fits. This can sound better.
Make sure everything is connected and back in place before connecting the battery.
Do this with the key in position 2 as per Volvos instructions.
You may have to set the top and bottom stops on the front windows. Wind down and up , holding for a couple of seconds after it stops moving.
The same for the sun roof if you have one.
rogerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 20:27   #3
Arroquw

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerb View Post
The amp as you probably know sits under the right hand seat.
The cable is often under a flap in the carpet under the seat.
Disconnect the battery, un bolt the seat and tilt it backwards, if necessary remove the connector which goes to the Seat.
This will allow you to have a good look about.
Sometimes the cable is tucked up with the loom along the sill.
Also remember you will need to fit a 30 amp fuse.
In an ideal world you should really change the speakers to match the amp.
As the non extra amp speakers are 4 ohm. The extra amp ones are 8 ohm.
If run load this can cause the amp to over heat.
There are two types of amp the normal 4*50w blue label, or the 4*75w yellow label premium amplifier.
The 803 can also power the central speaker, if you have got one to fit in the car. The connection is normally not far from where the speaker fits. This can sound better.
Make sure everything is connected and back in place before connecting the battery.
Do this with the key in position 2 as per Volvos instructions.
You may have to set the top and bottom stops on the front windows. Wind down and up , holding for a couple of seconds after it stops moving.
The same for the sun roof if you have one.
"the loom along the sill"? What do you mean by that? Sorry, English is not my first language. In any case, I have had a pretty extensive look under the carpet and couldn't find any connector there, and I didn't see any cable run next to the clutch, it could still be under there but when running the other connector I didnt encounter it.
Old Feb 28th, 2020, 00:49   #4
rogerb
Lets take it to bits

Along the bit of metal that goes up from the floor to the door frame.
There is are several wires that go from the front to the back of the car.
Try looking by these.
Fully on the right hand side of the car, when looking forward out of the window over the engine.
I hope this helps a bit.
rogerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2020, 11:56   #5
Arroquw

Default power wire

I definitely don't have the power wire pre-installed. So I took some 10 awg wire and connected the ground to a grounding mount point next to the passenger seat front-right bolt. I then took another 10 awg wire and connected it to the amp's power connector and ran it all the way to the driver's side fuse box by pulling it to behind the radio and then behind the dash (pretty easy actually, the dash is mostly hollow on the inside). I still need to find something to reliably put the wire into the fuse box (fuse 17 does not have one of those metal clips that the other holes have), but when holding it against the fuse the amp will be powered. I still have the problem that only the front right audio works, but I blame that on a faulty cable harness.

Thanks for your help.

Tags
amplifier, radio, wiring