Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Still leaking after new core plug and oil seal

Views : 8164

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 28th, 2020, 22:26   #21
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv70 View Post
Very interesting to read this as i intend on replacing the dmf/and slave cylinder in the next few months,i bought the core plug from volvo but got the rear crank seal a quality german-Elring make from my local engine recon place,i cant remember whether the seal is a new type or not,but if it's the old style with a spring and 2 lips would the special tool still be required,or could it be drifted in carefully.I did the front seal last year and remember it was an absolute pig to do with the spring flipping back on itself a few times,before i concocted a thin plastic sleeve to help it in
the same tool should be ok , but remember if its dry leave it !!
Old Mar 28th, 2020, 22:47   #22
sv70

Thanks,i will if it's completely dry,it's just as mine is on 285K miles and as the box has to come out anyway i always think it would be bonkers not to do the crank seal,but reading this post has made me think twice and i'll only do it if there is a trace of oil showing.
sv70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2020, 00:13   #23
Dancake
Premier Member

Some seals also require you to wait a period of time after installation before putting them to work. This allows the seal to settle into place after fitment, as during fitment some distortion of the seal is likely. Although there may not be any specific instructions stating that this is the case with this particular crankshaft seal, it would do no harm to give it a day or so to settle before running the engine.
Dancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2020, 16:05   #24
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv70 View Post
Thanks,i will if it's completely dry,it's just as mine is on 285K miles and as the box has to come out anyway i always think it would be bonkers not to do the crank seal,but reading this post has made me think twice and i'll only do it if there is a trace of oil showing.
i can understand that but if you do not have the correct tool don't do it . also the new type seal is unlikely to be of such a good quality as yours has proved to be ..
Old Mar 30th, 2020, 13:05   #25
ele288

The new crank seal is PTFE and has to be placed dry, similar seals are used by vw/audi. They have to be left for 8 hrs after install before filling with oil. I have used this new seal 3 years ago with tool ( bought in Canada) and its bone dry
ele288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2022, 18:54   #26
kristolz

Sorry for reviving this old thread, but I'm facing a similar issue on my V70N 2007.

I've just had the DMF, clutch, slave sylinder, core plug and the crankshaft oil seal replaced by a local garage. I sourced all the parts myself, including the crankshaft oil seal, which I got from a local Volvo dealer - all OEM. Volvo gave me partnr. 9458178.

After driving it home from the garage, the ABS light came on, but that was an easy fix with VIDA - cleared the code, no worries. After I cleared the ABS error, I noticed a lot of oil dribble all around the drive, continuing out into the street - and probably all the way back to the garage. Needless to say: I returned the car to the garage asap.

The garage claims that this is not the correct part for this engine, but Volvo says it is. I've inspected the work, after the had to pull it all to pieces again, and the seal seems correctly installed (but as you say - it is damn near impossible to get this done right without the proper tooling), but it is leaking. Badly.

Looking at the parts catalog at Skandix.com, it seems that the partnr 9458178 is for 2008 and beyond V70, and that the older one is no longer available. The main difference between the new and the old part, is that the new one is a Teflon type gasket, without a spring. As mentioned by others in this thread, these gaskets have a different fitting procedure than the older ones used to have.

https://www.skandix.de/en/spare-part...-side/1051832/

Still - I'm at a loss. Is Volvo correct? Does the PTFE/Teflon type seal fit a 2007 V70 D5 Euro4?

The garage claims I provided them with the wrong parts. I say it's more likely they fitted it wrong, using the old ways, and hence wrecking it somehow. In other words: not my fault..
kristolz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2022, 23:35   #27
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristolz View Post
Sorry for reviving this old thread, but I'm facing a similar issue on my V70N 2007.

I've just had the DMF, clutch, slave sylinder, core plug and the crankshaft oil seal replaced by a local garage. I sourced all the parts myself, including the crankshaft oil seal, which I got from a local Volvo dealer - all OEM. Volvo gave me partnr. 9458178.

After driving it home from the garage, the ABS light came on, but that was an easy fix with VIDA - cleared the code, no worries. After I cleared the ABS error, I noticed a lot of oil dribble all around the drive, continuing out into the street - and probably all the way back to the garage. Needless to say: I returned the car to the garage asap.

The garage claims that this is not the correct part for this engine, but Volvo says it is. I've inspected the work, after the had to pull it all to pieces again, and the seal seems correctly installed (but as you say - it is damn near impossible to get this done right without the proper tooling), but it is leaking. Badly.

Looking at the parts catalog at Skandix.com, it seems that the partnr 9458178 is for 2008 and beyond V70, and that the older one is no longer available. The main difference between the new and the old part, is that the new one is a Teflon type gasket, without a spring. As mentioned by others in this thread, these gaskets have a different fitting procedure than the older ones used to have.

https://www.skandix.de/en/spare-part...-side/1051832/

Still - I'm at a loss. Is Volvo correct? Does the PTFE/Teflon type seal fit a 2007 V70 D5 Euro4?

The garage claims I provided them with the wrong parts. I say it's more likely they fitted it wrong, using the old ways, and hence wrecking it somehow. In other words: not my fault..

These are very delicate and must be fitted with the special tool which guides them on centrally whilst retracting them a little .
Old Jul 1st, 2022, 07:23   #28
kristolz

Yeah - the garage has clearly not installed it properly, and I did not get the impression that they actually know the difference between an "old" seal and a PTFE one. I tired pointing it out that the PTFE seal requires a different montage technique, but the answer was "are you a mechanic?".

Still - my problem is this:

1. Volvo claim they provided the correct parts. I have no way of confirming this, other than taking their word for it.
2. The garage did not do the work properly. As a trained mechanic, you should know the difference between a PTFE seal and a "standard" one.

In essence is both parties right, and both are wrong.

My question still stands: Does the Volvo original PTFE seal fit a 2007 D5 or not?
kristolz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2022, 21:18   #29
Simmy
Premier Member

try cross referanceing several seal supliers check sizes ask for specs for different years on models there are other places that suply seals or ask at any engine rebuilders
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote