Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 599518

Replies : 2691

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 24th, 2020, 19:21   #2381
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyo360 View Post
A year later (almost to the day) since I last experienced this, and I have just taken my XC60 into the local dealer to investigate the EML warning light.

Dealer just called... "the EGR cooler is blocked" and they are contacting Volvo UK for a goodwill gesture. I hope it's 100%!

In my March 2019 post on this topic, I mentioned the dealer had told me about the latest design being teflon coated, but barely 6000 miles later it has gone again.

When I get the car back, I think it's time to sell up.
That doesn't bode well! Can't blame you for wanting to sell up.

I'm on my second replacement cooler. But I've also had a replacement EGR valve and very recently an intake manifold.
Old Mar 24th, 2020, 19:26   #2382
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discombobulated View Post
A quick update on our V60, the dealer called today to arrange a new inlet manifold and EGR cooler, Volvo are covering it all as recall and goodwill.

Our car is a 64 reg D4 with 53,000 miles. It had its first three services at Volvo and when we bought it it had just had its fourth at the independent dealer we bought it from so we took it to our local dealer for an oil and filter change and then had it serviced there last year so it’s got a pretty much full dealer history, the dealer said were more likely to get goodwill if it has.

It’s going in on Thursday for the work even though the dealership will be closed, apparently because it’s a safety issue they won’t leave it for three weeks.
They don’t have any hire cars but I suppose we can’t really moan considering all that is happening in the world right now.

I know these VEA engines have got quite a bad name because of these issues but I have been impressed with Volvo and the dealership. I’m not sure how old these cars will be before Volvo stop contributing goodwill but for now I’m happy.

I won’t be there when the car goes in but I’ll try and find out what the issue is with this redesigned inlet manifold that was fitted last year.
Having just had a replacement intake manifold fitted to mine (due to the swirl valves found to be sticking when it was removed during an intake valve leak test) I'm really interested in why your replacement manifold failed!

Manifold was 100% goodwill but the EGR valve last year was only 50% goodwill.
Old Mar 24th, 2020, 20:49   #2383
Discombobulated
Impressive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
Having just had a replacement intake manifold fitted to mine (due to the swirl valves found to be sticking when it was removed during an intake valve leak test) I'm really interested in why your replacement manifold failed!

Manifold was 100% goodwill but the EGR valve last year was only 50% goodwill.
Out of interest what is the cost of an EGR valve or cooler if Volvo weren’t contributing?

I’ll try and keep you posted

Cheers, Luke
Discombobulated is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Discombobulated For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 24th, 2020, 21:17   #2384
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Out of interest what is the cost of an EGR valve or cooler if Volvo weren’t contributing?

I’ll try and keep you posted

Cheers, Luke
Total parts and labour plus VAT for cooler and valve replacement combined was about £1500. When investigating the stuck valve the dealer also discovered that the cooler was again almost blocked (valve and cooler have to be removed together then separated) so were granted 100% goodwill on the cooler and fortunately all the labour cost for both was put against the cooler replacement. However the valve alone was an expensive part and so even with 50% goodwill on that it still cost me £337.

If Volvo weren't contributing then I'd do it myself... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zz6...index=3&t=922s
Old Mar 26th, 2020, 16:16   #2385
Discombobulated
Impressive Member

We have had the inlet manifold and EGR cooler replaced, dealership said the inlet manifold has been replaced with an identical one, the problem was with the heat caused, but after this recall for a software update the temperatures will be lower (somehow) so it shouldn’t keep happening.

I asked the service manager what he thought of these engines and he said he’s worked at the dealership for 38 years, he has a company car at present but when he retires in a couple of years he honestly wants an S60 or V60 D4. I asked how long he thinks it will be before Volvo washes their hands of these problems and he said they won’t.

I guess time will tell.

Cheers, Luke.
The Following User Says Thank You to Discombobulated For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 26th, 2020, 16:41   #2386
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
We have had the inlet manifold and EGR cooler replaced, dealership said the inlet manifold has been replaced with an identical one, the problem was with the heat caused, but after this recall for a software update the temperatures will be lower (somehow) so it shouldn’t keep happening.

I asked the service manager what he thought of these engines and he said he’s worked at the dealership for 38 years, he has a company car at present but when he retires in a couple of years he honestly wants an S60 or V60 D4. I asked how long he thinks it will be before Volvo washes their hands of these problems and he said they won’t.

I guess time will tell.

Cheers, Luke.
I'm sure the slightly later VEA diesels with AdBlue have far less problems, due to the much reduced EGR flow.

I have to say that mine is a nice car to drive... responsive, adequate power wherever you are in the rev range and good mpg. It's just the soot-related worries that ruin it a little for me.
Old Mar 30th, 2020, 10:05   #2387
Miyo360

Quote:
A year later (almost to the day) since I last experienced this, and I have just taken my XC60 into the local dealer to investigate the EML warning light.

Dealer just called... "the EGR cooler is blocked" and they are contacting Volvo UK for a goodwill gesture. I hope it's 100%!

In my March 2019 post on this topic, I mentioned the dealer had told me about the latest design being teflon coated, but barely 6000 miles later it has gone again.

When I get the car back, I think it's time to sell up.
...UPDATE: So the garage (MKG 3000 of Twickenham/Strawberry Hill, London) submitted an automated request for contribution, which they say came back with a low offer. So they submitted an "exceptional goodwill gesture" request, which was reviewed by a person and agreed to cover 100% of the costs. Fantastic service by MKG!

When collecting the car, I asked if the design of the cooler had changed in the last year and the guy said not. But that the "mapping" had been updated or something. Not sure what that means. I'm just happy my '64 car with 123,000 on the clock is still getting free fixes for this. Good luck to all.
Miyo360 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Miyo360 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 30th, 2020, 10:23   #2388
Longweekend

Talking

Great result....
Longweekend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2020, 21:44   #2389
Discombobulated
Impressive Member

Quote:
...UPDATE: So the garage (MKG 3000 of Twickenham/Strawberry Hill, London) submitted an automated request for contribution, which they say came back with a low offer. So they submitted an "exceptional goodwill gesture" request, which was reviewed by a person and agreed to cover 100% of the costs. Fantastic service by MKG!

When collecting the car, I asked if the design of the cooler had changed in the last year and the guy said not. But that the "mapping" had been updated or something. Not sure what that means. I'm just happy my '64 car with 123,000 on the clock is still getting free fixes for this. Good luck to all.
A technician at our dealer said the coolers have been modified with larger ports for the gasses to pass through to stop them blocking up. I asked if it would stop them clogging up or just take longer for them to, at which point he walked away without comment.

Cheers, Luke.
Old Apr 1st, 2020, 08:36   #2390
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
A technician at our dealer said the coolers have been modified with larger ports for the gasses to pass through to stop them blocking up. I asked if it would stop them clogging up or just take longer for them to, at which point he walked away without comment.

Cheers, Luke.
Or maybe the soot will now more freely pass through the cooler and so lead to the intake manifold/swirl valves/intake valves being more likely to become clogged?