Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 Drive shaft

Views : 3514

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 5th, 2018, 14:09   #1
mordred1973

Default XC60 Drive shaft

following a few months of a slight steering wobble, which no one could diagnose, I noticed a knock on full lock from the left side. It was obviously a CV joint that is worn (not too unreasonable at 96000 miles) and from what I have been told is likely t have been causing the vibration through the steering.

My local independent contacted his 3 suppliers, 2 said it's not possible to buy a new CV joint/drive shaft other than from Volvo. The third said they could supply one based on VIN number which they did.

The one supplied didn't fit, the spline on the gearbox end of the shaft was that much smaller it turned around in the socket.

I wondered if anyone had had a similar issue and indeed if the only option is the an original from Volvo? Been told the "pattern one is c£150 and the Volvo one is c£350.

Wondering if they purely sent one for the wrong XC60 or if they're all the same anyway (maybe for a 2.0 Front wheel drive rather than a 2.4 AWD?)

thought greatly appreciated
Old Jun 6th, 2018, 04:50   #2
volvo for ever
Premier Member

We used to change front drive shafts a lot when xc60 were 2 years old it was only front wheel drive that was giving clicking noise on lock taking of
Sounded like a machine gun
I’m sure there was pfu in it as I said only front wheel drive xc60 & v70 gave fault
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2018, 22:14   #3
quinno

Mordred, I have had similar issues and remember on here a post about some earlier XC60's suffering from this.
I have had to change the offside drive shaft on my 2010 2.4d drive e (that's 2wd in plain speak) it cost £425 + vat for the part alone.
The nearside cv joint makes some noise on full lock but there is no wobble through the steering wheel. When getting it changed the garage advised me that therer is no alternative available to the genuine Volvo part. A few months prior to getting it replaced I had the original cv joints greased by a Volvo independent but the clips spung off the gaiters on the drive home from the garage and sprayed the grease on the inside of the wheel rims. Replacement clips including the Volvo clips did not hold either presumably grease had made the seating surface too slippery for the rubber gaiter to get a purchase.
Check on the condition of the gaiters; if they have split or popped off the shaft the cv joint bearing may become 'dry' and noisey.
I'd be interested to know if there are any afternmarket alteratives to the Volvo part.
quinno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to quinno For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 10th, 2018, 08:52   #4
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Check the label on the driveshaft if it is still there - if there are two part numbers on it then then it's very likely a Ford part (the Volvo part number begins with P and is numeric) so you may get one cheaper from a Ford dealer.

On the XC60 AWD cars the rear driveshafts are shared with the XC70 P3, V70 AWD and Ford Kuga AWD. I'm not sure if this is the case at the front.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2020, 20:15   #5
macdoni93

Appreciate this is an oldish thread but thought my recent experience might be useful.

I had noticed a knocking while cornering on my 2012 D3, and decided that, as I was going to change the discs, I might as well change the driveshaft while I was at it. I got a brand new pattern shaft from ebay for £170 and fitted it (that's another story - never believe a Haynes manual when it says something should just pop off......). The car drives fine, but 300 miles later there's CV grease all over the inside of the wheel - the outer boot has split about 5mm on an inside crease of the boot. The seller offered me a replacement but given the last one only lasted a week and a half, I've gone for a refund.
The new plan is to fit a replacement CV joint and boot kit onto my original shaft, and refit that. The old CV joint came off with a couple of sharp taps of a big hammer, so am now waiting for the CV joint to be delivered in a couple of days. Will update soon......
macdoni93 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to macdoni93 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 29th, 2020, 00:12   #6
zony

I have just changed the two front wheel bearings. They are FAG bearings and come with a new driveshaft bolt. Crazy thing is the bolt is approx 5mm longer than the original, bottoms out in the driveshaft spindle and snaps before you can torque it up.

So I had to re use the original bolt on one side. Just beware.

The remains of the bolt came out with mole grips, but I was prepared to change the CV joint if it wouldn’t budge.
zony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2020, 13:46   #7
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by zony View Post
I have just changed the two front wheel bearings. They are FAG bearings and come with a new driveshaft bolt. Crazy thing is the bolt is approx 5mm longer than the original, bottoms out in the driveshaft spindle and snaps before you can torque it up.

The remains of the bolt came out with mole grips, but I was prepared to change the CV joint if it wouldn’t budge.
The perils of cheap, pattern wheel bearing kits... another reason for genuine Volvo or SKF if you're skint.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2020, 06:36   #8
Tanel86

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdoni93 View Post
Appreciate this is an oldish thread but thought my recent experience might be useful.

I had noticed a knocking while cornering on my 2012 D3, and decided that, as I was going to change the discs, I might as well change the driveshaft while I was at it. I got a brand new pattern shaft from ebay for £170 and fitted it (that's another story - never believe a Haynes manual when it says something should just pop off......). The car drives fine, but 300 miles later there's CV grease all over the inside of the wheel - the outer boot has split about 5mm on an inside crease of the boot. The seller offered me a replacement but given the last one only lasted a week and a half, I've gone for a refund.
The new plan is to fit a replacement CV joint and boot kit onto my original shaft, and refit that. The old CV joint came off with a couple of sharp taps of a big hammer, so am now waiting for the CV joint to be delivered in a couple of days. Will update soon......
hi
I have xc60 drive d3 with M66 manual box. Also in process of replacing driveshaft cv joint. I managed to pull out driveshaft fairly easy without any force (righthand side) now after removing driveshaft some transmission oil also came out. Is there a filler plug to top up fluid after reinstalling driveshaft?
Tanel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2020, 17:37   #9
Ronbax

Quote:
Originally Posted by zony View Post

What model is your car??
Are the FAG bearings any good??
Ronbax is offline   Reply With Quote