Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Vida Dice problem

Views : 4184

Replies : 44

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 5th, 2020, 16:04   #1
P4

Default Vida Dice problem

Dice connects to the laptop but in 'Vehicle Profile' there is no drop down under Communication Tool and Dice will not find the VIN. I've been into the registry and altered the EnableIEHosting to 00000001 but this has made no difference.

When I enter the details of the car manually it says Root Element is Missing.

What to do next?
P4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2020, 21:02   #2
daveyb

Does the pc have the drivers installed for the dice
daveyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2020, 02:09   #3
Bashy
Aged Member

If using the Oracle virtual manager, the one thing i kept on forgetting is to click on the USB icon at the bottom of the windows screen or from the devices list and choose the DICE, then it will work, you could have a different issue though.
Old Mar 6th, 2020, 08:15   #4
P4

Log in the same as usual, click on the same icon, no USB or Virtual Manager stuff, just refuses to pass go.

For those more technically minded apparently Dice sends the VID and the PID. Damned if I know what that means!

If it has lost the drivers are they reinstalled via the internet?
Old Mar 6th, 2020, 16:13   #5
P4

Ok, as I'm getting nowhere with this let's try a different tack. Swmbo's XC90 originally had a problem with loss of power. Mike from Outnumbered (brilliant boy band in their day) came over and wiped all the faults leaving only the dpf pressure sensor as a fault. I changed that for a new one which has moved the power from 20% to 60% but left the eml on. Mike is away for another week so I need the faults read and the eml removed, hopefully that will sort the problem out completely.

So is there anyone in the Castleford/Selby area of Yorkshire who can plug their Vida in over the weekend and get Her Indoors off my back as she wants her car back?
Old Mar 11th, 2020, 15:23   #6
P4

Plugged a power lead into the Dice and the lights start dancing. Plugged the usb lead into the laptop and waited for the pop up window for the hardware - it never arrives! So I tried another usb cable, exactly same. Does that leave me with the probability that the problem is with the laptop?
Old Mar 12th, 2020, 03:00   #7
Bashy
Aged Member

I am sure you can install the drivers manually, 1st check Device Manager to see if windows installed the drivers. Did you turn off the internet when installing Vida and setup procedure, i believe you're meant to.

If when its connected and you dont see it in device manager (its there about half way down) then you can install the drivers from the utils folder, i think its program_files\DiCE\Tools\Driver. In the folder, right click on the .inf file and choose install, its the only one with the option to install from the right click menu. See if that works.

If it is already installed, you could try uninstalling the drivers, right click on it in device manager, then disconnect from the internet, reboot, make sure its not connected to the internet once booted up, then plug in ya dice usb and OBD, turn on ignition and see if that will prompt the install of the drivers.
Old Mar 12th, 2020, 07:58   #8
P4

Not connected to the internet and never has been. I'll have a look at your suggestion later.
Old Mar 12th, 2020, 15:03   #9
P4

Looked in the Device Manager to find no Dice so decided to reinstall the whole lot. An hour later I have both green and orange flashing lights but the orange never goes static. The USB yellow light never shows its face at all. Click on the Vida icon, sign in via admin, click Define Vehicle Profile and I'm back to square one where there is nothing under Communication Tool and the VIN is not found.

I'm going round and round in circles with this!
Old Mar 13th, 2020, 02:55   #10
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P4 View Post
Looked in the Device Manager to find no Dice so decided to reinstall the whole lot. An hour later I have both green and orange flashing lights but the orange never goes static. The USB yellow light never shows its face at all. Click on the Vida icon, sign in via admin, click Define Vehicle Profile and I'm back to square one where there is nothing under Communication Tool and the VIN is not found.

I'm going round and round in circles with this!
See paragraph 2 of my last post and install manually, although, it should be picking up the USB once plugged in, I myself found one issue and that was when my laptop PSU was connected to the same extension lead as my 10amp car battery charger, it kept throwing off my laptap USB, it was as if there wasnt enough power for it or some serious interference, my Dice made the bong when inserting the USB, but would then make the disconnected bong, the the inserted and then disconnect and kept that cycle up until i unplugged the laptop charger from the extension lead, it then worked straight away, if youre trying it with the laptop charger plugged in, try it unplugged. Try anything at this point cause you should at least hear the usb connect and disconnect bong in windows.