Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

A question for rally drivers

Views : 1545

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 24th, 2017, 13:33   #11
simon roberts

Cool

Gizza clue
simon roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2017, 14:07   #12
AGT123

OK,
Why not!
The car is fitted with a full Safety Devices cage, including the door bar option. Creating a survival cell.
Full Rally seats securely strengthened & bolted through the floor.
The navigator one sits much further back than the drivers.
Full four point harnesses, secured to the rollbar at the rear & plated mountings through the floor.
Full, plumbed in fire extinguisher system + hand held additional one.
Nevertheless, one should always prepare for the worst & hope for the best. With this in mind the panels in question would appear stronger than the picture suggests. Their strongest feature being the green Hammerite paint finish!
They are constructed from plastic, mounted through the dash with plastic, shear bolts, ensuring that should the worst occur and the navi collides with them in any way they will simply collapse!
I trust & hope that this answers the concerns & questions raised.
8 months of careful and considered building went into this historic rally car, and I wanted the safest vehicle I could build.
None, I repeat none, of the above modifications are required within the regulations to compete on the Monte Carlo Historique - no cage, full harness seat belts, or securely mounted seating, not even a fire extinguisher! In my opinion, having done it I think they should!
In the dim & distant past I used to Special Stage rally and had more than my fair share of trips into the scenery - I learnt a lot from this and incorporated it into this build.

Regards,
Andy.

Last edited by AGT123; Oct 24th, 2017 at 14:12.
AGT123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AGT123 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 25th, 2017, 13:25   #13
arcturus
arcturus

Just as a matter of interest I was reading through the M Carlo historic rules and it stated that the cars must have been entered in the earlier rallies to qualify. Does that mean the particular car or the same model? If the particular car do you know the history?

As usual, the 2017 Rallye Monte-Carlo Historique will be open to cars that took part in the actual event from 1955 until 1980
Old Oct 25th, 2017, 16:11   #14
AGT123

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcturus View Post
Just as a matter of interest I was reading through the M Carlo historic rules and it stated that the cars must have been entered in the earlier rallies to qualify. Does that mean the particular car or the same model? If the particular car do you know the history?

As usual, the 2017 Rallye Monte-Carlo Historique will be open to cars that took part in the actual event from 1955 until 1980
I know that the rules & regulations are not always that clear.
What they mean is you can enter in any vehicle model that participated in the event between the years stated.
Even if the particular model production continued beyond the 1980 cutoff!
So, hunt around for the make & model of the car that takes your fancy from the approved list, then prepare it to the level you wish within the rules, this is a huge, grey area as anything that improves safety is automatically allowed.
There are some odd ones!
As an example - no led's!
I am sure this is just to preserve the overall appearance of all the vehicles participating - but it could catch you out.
The entry forms and final entry instructions are very worth scanning for the fine print tripwires!

Regards,

Andy.
AGT123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AGT123 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 30th, 2017, 02:45   #15
Andy the Aussie

So, I've competed in over 100 Rallies in my life as a driver,

Which I believed qualified me to respond to your post.....

After reading the question 3 times this is my response,

Please change the title to a "A question for Rally Co-Drivers"

Thanks

Andy the Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andy the Aussie For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 11th, 2017, 11:47   #16
Need For Tweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcturus View Post
I have been hunting for an app or clock which shows split times sequentially.
ie. start first phase, for example 1.5 min's. one button stops this phase, leaves it visible and starts next phase, 1.5 min's press button again,stops and leaves that time visible and starts next phase etc. so that we end up with two or three times showing on clock
etc etc. so that the clock ends up showing the time for each phase at the touch of one button.
The reason for this would be when there is a need to complete the second phase at the same time as the first
Sounds complected but would eliminate the need for two or more time pieces.
I use one of these in mine :https://www.brantz.co.uk/product-pag...imer-plus-br32. It has an 'F2' function that allows you to hit the 'reset' button at a control or speed change and the unit then freezes the display to show the elapsed time. The timer simultaneously starts from zero in the background. Thirty seconds later the display reverts to the background time. The previous time is cleared at that moment, so you need to record what is on the display manually if you want to keep a record of all previous sector times.

Does that make sense, and was that what you were asking about? (We also carry a couple of stopwatches as a backup)
Need For Tweed is offline   Reply With Quote