Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Turbo governor - possible cheaper replacement

Views : 13624

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 18th, 2013, 18:48   #21
carl4u44
Master Member

Just thought I'd post this one that I did myself using this very useful post!

I obtained all the bits from the above links. GSF provided an excellent 2 day service and were by far the cheapest compared to the same solenoid found on E bay from 2 particular sellers that won't even ship to Northern Ireland. Unfortunately.

I can confirm that the VW connector (last pic) was too small and did not fit. I tried cutting it with a blade but finally failed with the crap pins supplied. Instead I simply used tiny spade connectors and a touch of glue to seal it all in. The Volvo connector side was nice and simple. Also made sure the wires were the correct way around should that have even mattered.

I have extended this patch lead should I wish to mount this solenoid elsewhere away from the engine block with heat and also easier access for future.

Lastly used some handy shrink wrap for the wiring loom to hold it all nice.

The offending connector:
carl4u44 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to carl4u44 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 16th, 2013, 11:26   #22
carl4u44
Master Member

Glad to say I've now covered around 3k miles and no more issues what so ever!
carl4u44 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carl4u44 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 24th, 2013, 15:21   #23
Jardon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosser View Post
I had another look at the GSF website and it looks like this part would be a direct fit, albeit the price is £85.20.
Thanks for that link. I have no obvious symptoms but at 130000 miles I can't imagine the original valve is mint. In the spirit of mindlessly replacing perfectly serviceable parts I bought one (£79 delivered):

Old Jul 24th, 2013, 21:24   #24
micken

I'm on holiday with a different car (but same wife ) and I'm watching this closely. Will be interested to see how it goes, hopefully a lot better.
micken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to micken For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 27th, 2013, 01:33   #25
Jardon

Valve fitted. Filter was gungy so cleaned it up - not easy to remove from the old valve though. I gave the pipe to the actuator a good sucking and could hear it doing something. While I was down there I blanked the EGR mixer with some drinks can. The emissions light came on immediately but goes off with a click of the READ button. First few hard dabs of throttle were smokey but fine after that. Performance is significantly more spritely and it actually felt like it had some go! I've not had the traction control light on before tonight no matter how hard I've driven. My motivation for blanking is the gungy intake - it was spotless 2000 miles ago but now has a thin coating of greasy soot again - though to be fair my oil stays much cleaner than our Galaxy which has less than half the miles on it. FRF are doing D5 clutches for £147 so might get a Shark map with EGR delete. Not sure yet though as really impressed with the improvement made tonight. Thanks again Yosser.
Old Jul 27th, 2013, 09:36   #26
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

on the old barge having had the Egr mapped out and blanked off with a cherryade can i did not notice any power difference.a lot cleaner Egr mixer.
mike
Old Jul 27th, 2013, 12:37   #27
Jardon

Quote:
Originally Posted by outnumbered View Post
on the old barge having had the Egr mapped out and blanked off with a cherryade can i did not notice any power difference.a lot cleaner Egr mixer.
mike
Could be the effect of my new TGV then. I was going to do the EGR blanking on a separate occasion so I could note the effect my hands were already dirty so I just got on with it. Who did your EGR delete software and was it part of a performance upgrade remap?
Old Jul 27th, 2013, 14:11   #28
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

yes it was done with Shark plus remap
mike
Old Sep 25th, 2013, 21:23   #29
Jardon

I've had this fitted for a while now and just thought I'd raise the possible non-issue of whooshing/dump valve noises coming from the TGV. Mine starts to whoosh at ~1600 rpm and stops at ~2100 rpm. There is no more noise up to the redline (valve pretty much open - low vac). As the revs fall the whoosh happens again as the rpms cross that 2100 rpm threshold (valve closing to create high vac) . I had got into my head that this was bad but if the valve is going to bleed vac to atmosphere it has to make a noise - and the valve is very active between those points. So isn't whooshing to be expected? Just thinking out loud - my car goes well so I couldn't get my head around the bad "dump valve" sound until I gave it a bit more thought and watched a few of Mikes vac videos.
Old Oct 24th, 2013, 23:00   #30
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Quick question...does anyone know if the governor is polarity-sensitive? I'm about to make up my patch lead, but I've only got a 50% likelihood of success if polarity matters...!

It's easy to see the polarity Carl went for, so if no-one knows, I'll just copy his

Actually, I just noticed he carefully traced it, which at least answers that his is correct...but I'm still interested to know if anyone knows about the polarity issue, for future reference!

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote