Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

performance issues when car is hot and under load

Views : 3414

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 15th, 2017, 15:17   #11
nstojanoski

when i press VNT i mean in vida when i highlight the parameters for VNT sensor

Here are videos about vacum this is from Airbox after 1000 rpm it closes it goes to 0 vacum

[YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/mn1BYD9wTHo[/YOUTUBE]

This is from Pump side:

[YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/p61BK705J50[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by nstojanoski; Aug 15th, 2017 at 17:50.
nstojanoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2017, 18:50   #12
nstojanoski

can you check my uphill video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BlxzPgQ1Wk) and take a look at Rail pressure it's hitting 800,000 even over 900,000 hPa which when i convert them is 11,000-13,000 psi, and on this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TVA7enYPmg they are getting 7700psi max on 4900 rpm and we are hitting over 800,000 hPa on rpms when i feel that the car is slowing down

few months ago we removed the fuel regulator on the right side of the car in the high pressure pump just cleaned and put it back in and we had BOOST in performance for some time after that, later on we removed the pump and put it on a machine to test the pump and we ware told that the regulator is working but with some irregularities so we ordered NEW pressure regulator, when we put the new regulator we also tried with another turbo and that is the period when out performance went to POOR again.

So we have changed the regulator but not the sensor which is mounted on the other side. see the picture:

We don't have warning or alerts that the pressure is too high, but can we have faulty data from the sensor and this data tells the regulator to cut the pressure? which should be the values of the rail pressure?

Regards,
Nikola
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 08:50   #13
davebb
Premier Member

Hi
Have a look at a newer post of Simons,
post 4 shows a reading he has done in torque , 23874Psi max rail pressure

ha also has a 2002 D5, and he has vida, he has made a lot of good videos
I have tried to send him a PM but his inbox is full,

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=254802

sorry I can not do a log of my car at the moment as I am unwell,

Dave
davebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 09:22   #14
davebb
Premier Member

Hi maybe the fuel pressure is to low? can you put a gauge on the low pressure side of pump,
partsforvolvo do a after market pump kit at a good price
Dave
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 11:49   #15
davebb
Premier Member

Hi I found some logs I did with my Delphi ds150e
max fuel pressure is 24098.045614417 PSI at 3084rpm ,at full boost
so you do have low fuel rail pressure, was your car in limp mode when you did the test?

some have used a after market fuel filter and it did fail soon after they fitted it,
I did have a crossland filter with no problem ,
now using Bosch,
can you look at the voltage of the low pressure pump at the fuse then at the pump when it is running, check you have full voltage with it running,

new pump, Dave
http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/...oducts_id=4515
Old Aug 25th, 2017, 15:50   #16
davebb
Premier Member

Hi How are you getting on with your car,
Dave
Old Sep 3rd, 2017, 13:45   #17
nstojanoski

Sorry i went on vacation it was too hot here

A day before my trip we changed the high pressure sensor on the other side of the rail but no luck.

I've also noticed during the trip that when the temperature is lower the car is performing a bit better and as you can see on the picture below when we did the test the Air temperature is ~40C.

On the picture i have on left my car and on right a S60 2.4 D5 163hp volvo that we had for just computer test (couldn't swap parts to find my problem we ware allowed just to plug vida i make recording of the drive)

We are now back from begging and my mechanic want's to doublecheck the MAF again. Waiting for good MAF sensor to make the test (not to buy one). I've seen a few MAF clean videos on youtube do you have any experience with it? Success %? Or wait for good MAF from a car that it's driving OK and test it?

Maybe the main characteristic is that when the weather outside is HOT the car has much much poor performance, I can see better performance in the first 2-3 minutes and when it's not that hot the performance is 5-10 minutes and it's dropping.

Any new ideas?

Regards,
Nikola
Old Sep 3rd, 2017, 15:05   #18
davebb
Premier Member

Hi you can use IPA to clean the mass air flow sensor,
Don't use brake or carb cleaner, let it dry before you put it
Back in,
Have you put a gauge on to the low pressure side of the pump to make shore that fuel is OK,
Dave
Old Sep 4th, 2017, 17:02   #19
nstojanoski

Hi Dave,

I think we pinpointed the problem. With 95% i can say it's the MAF sensor.

Few months ago we have tried another sensor but i think it was from pertol not disel engine and because we didn't have any error codes we skipped it as not our problem and moved on.

Now that we started rechecking again i got Air intake cleaner from WURTH and removed the air filter top with the MAF filter attached to it and sprayed with the cleaner, went for a test drive and got better results from the car, like 60-70% better performance. Then we removed the air filter top with the MAF attached and sprayed a bit more this time trying to clean it more. The result ware 200% better performance i could go to 4500rpm with 3 times on and off of the boost.

So the problem was in out MAF and we needed new one the car was performing much much better but not as it should, now we decided to make it or brake it and removed only the sensor from it's place and gave it a HUGE spraying and normally we broke it!

Now at least i have a error that says that my MAF is not working and the car i telling me to go to service and i don't have turbo at all, but it's performing much better from 0-2000rpm with the error code than it was before when i had NO error codes

I've ordered new bosch MAF sensor and should have it mounted on Wednesday afternoon, I'll post here the results.

Regards,
Nikola
Old Sep 4th, 2017, 18:10   #20
davebb
Premier Member

Hi ,that's good news, some sprays can be to strong,
Let me know how it goes,
Dave