Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

760 Intermittent wiper Mod - may fit other 7/9xx

Views : 2218

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 19th, 2020, 17:00   #21
monkeh
Pain in the backside

Works on s/c/v70 p1's
Relay on 960/v90 is different, doesn't work, early 940's have a 3 pin relay for wipers so won't work either.
Those relays are fantastic.
Old Feb 19th, 2020, 17:41   #22
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeh View Post
Works on s/c/v70 p1's
Relay on 960/v90 is different, doesn't work, early 940's have a 3 pin relay for wipers so won't work either.
The 3-pin relay will be the flasher unit. The wipers can't work on a 3 pin relay.

Remember i did this job on my 760 so predates the 940 by a few years and it works.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2020, 17:57   #23
tofufi
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeh View Post
early 940's have a 3 pin relay for wipers so won't work either.
Can't speak for 940s, but my '90 740 is a 6 pin relay
tofufi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tofufi For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 17:26   #24
monkeh
Pain in the backside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
The 3-pin relay will be the flasher unit. The wipers can't work on a 3 pin relay.

Remember i did this job on my 760 so predates the 940 by a few years and it works.
You both are right, I went and checked. The wiper relay is one of those daft oblong shaped ones with the plastic guides.
My mistake
The Following User Says Thank You to monkeh For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 19:18   #25
tofufi
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Fingers crossed the right one will come through this time Jim! As i said in the first post, 90-94 and 98-04 i think it was (without checking and i can't think just now) are the ages of the cars that had it.
Mine apparently came from a 1994 Corrado so was the last of the "first batch" so to speak.
Mine has arrived today fitted and working with just the wiring modification to make it work on a 740
tofufi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tofufi For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 20:24   #26
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofufi View Post
Mine has arrived today fitted and working with just the wiring modification to make it work on a 740
Excellent news JIm!

You'll be praying for light rain now, just to play with it!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Feb 22nd, 2020, 02:39   #27
monkeh
Pain in the backside

You've convinced me. I'm going to have a go!
The Following User Says Thank You to monkeh For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2020, 14:14   #28
bob12
bob12

I am not going to fiddle around with this mod as I am happy with the intermittent 8/9 second delay on my '90 745 and it's easy to stop and pull the stick forward to get an extra wipe or continuous slow wipe if you need it ... as I did this morning.

What continues to frustrate me much more is the blocking of the front and back screen/tailgate wash jets that I really needed today. I guess I shall have to clean the pipes out and blast all screen wash from the tank Only did it 5 years ago and it's a pain having to remove the air filter box to gain access.

It also seems to me that modern screen wash anti-freeze develops 'bits.floaters' in it far more readily than of old which I am sure is part of the problem. Bob
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2020, 15:07   #29
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
I am not going to fiddle around with this mod as I am happy with the intermittent 8/9 second delay on my '90 745 and it's easy to stop and pull the stick forward to get an extra wipe or continuous slow wipe if you need it ... as I did this morning.

What continues to frustrate me much more is the blocking of the front and back screen/tailgate wash jets that I really needed today. I guess I shall have to clean the pipes out and blast all screen wash from the tank Only did it 5 years ago and it's a pain having to remove the air filter box to gain access.

It also seems to me that modern screen wash anti-freeze develops 'bits.floaters' in it far more readily than of old which I am sure is part of the problem. Bob
I think it's what you're used to Bob, i learned to drive with variable intemittent wipe and many cars i've had through the years i've owned have had it. On those cars that haven't had, i've missed it at first and then reverted to doing what you do but still in the back of my mind intending to do an alteration (that never happened) to give me variable intermittent function.

Now both my beasts have variable intermittent, i still find it easier and more intutive to simply move the collar on the wiper stalk to change the delay interval but that has 5 steps between 5s to 15s, the middle one being the "default" (if the CCU loses power from one fuse or another fault develops) of 10s so the other interval changes must be 2.5s each.

As for the screenwash, i've noticed that too. I suspect it's cheap, imported screenwash made from alcohol brewed with yeast as at one point, one of the lumps started growing pennecillin (or some mould at least!) as did a forgotten bottle of vinegar in my kitchen cupboard also did once.

The better quality stuff uses alcohol produced by different methods and is more expensive.

First time i had this lumpy, mouldy gloop, i stripped out the washer reervoir and cleaned it thoroughly, rubbing some silicone grease into the rubber seals once they were clean. They seal a lot better now, almost like new.

I thought the first time was just bad luck and possibly down to something a pervious owner had used. When it happened again recently, i realised it was down to the (admittedly cheap) screenwash i'd been using.

I got the blockages out with a combination of flushing with plain water, compressed air and disconnecting various hoses and running the pumps until clear water came out.
Then i refilled with clean water and used the car for a while until i was sure there were no more lumps coming through.

At that point, i added some liquid Flash/Sainsburys multisurface cleaner which would help kill any further mould growing and does a good job of cleaning the glass too.
I'm now back on plain water again but have bought a slightly dearer cheap screenwash which i intend to try.

In betweeen whiles i did use some Toolstation concentrated glass cleaner which worked really well.

https://www.toolstation.com/glass-cleaner/p85116

Probably about a 1:10 solution so one bottle will do three refills in the reservoir. I'll see how this new screenwash goes and if it goes snotty like the other stuff, i'll just buy three bottles at a time from Toolstation of their glass cleaner (over a tenner gets you free delivery) as it's great for cleaning the house widows as well.

Thing is, the Toolstation stuff works out dearer than the more readily available screenwash, that said if it means not having to strip out half the washer system i'm happy to pay a bit mroe to start with!

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2020, 15:38   #30
Jebus
VOC Member

Good screenwash of old was a methanol base, and did a very good job for cleaning, stopping stuff growing in it and from freezing however it has now been banned to stop people drinking it, now they are only allowed to use ethanol, isopropanol, ethylene glycol etc which don't do the job quite as well.

Of course you can still buy methanol, so nothing stopping you from making up your own homebrew, with a drop of a a low foaming detergent and even food dye if you want to make it a pretty colour and stuff that in the bottle

2005 S60 2.0T the baby T5
Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jebus For This Useful Post:

Tags
volvo 740 vw relay 99, volvo 940 vw relay 99