Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Injector change update-Bosch Gen 1 to Gen 3

Views : 2506

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 9th, 2020, 19:20   #31
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

First of all Tom, i'd say have a close look at your engine, i suspect the injectors are actually in the manifold on yours - earlier cars i believe had the injectors in the head.

If yours are in the manifold as i suspect, all you need do is change the manifold to the new engine.

I wouldn't worry too much about uprating the injectors yet, if you set the idle mixture correctly on the fuel distributor, there's every chance it will be right for the rest of the rev range, despite the increased capacity.

If you find you need more fuel then perhaps those from a B230E or a B200ET will be right.

I haven't been able to find any flow rates for any of them either so can't really give any better pointers but you'll be getting it rolling road tuned anyway and if they know what they're doing with K-Jet, they can alter the control pressure to increase the fueling if necessary.

The injectors from a B280E WON'T be suitable as they are for the LH-Jetronic.

I'm guessing you meant the B28E which had K-Jet BUT don't forget this was a 6 cylinder engine pushing out about 150bhp (on a good day!) so 25bhp per cylinder.

That would give the amazing output of about 100bhp from your power "upgrade"!!!!!

Also don't be fooled by Bosch part numbers, they don't work that way. There's no real logic to how they've been assigned so i can only work out they were done as and when new injectors became necessary for certain engines and others couldn't be used.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 9th, 2020, 22:14   #32
mocambique-amazone
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSaintJames View Post
Apologies in reviving an old thread, I have been brainstorming on ways to improve our B200E in the Hearse prior to an engine upgrade to a 2.5 using a penta AQ151 block.

My question is, as the 531 head is not readily compatible with K-Jetronic injection due to different injectors and locations (learnt this yesterday) we will be keeping the current head and injection system. Could I benefit from an injector upgrade in a similar fashion to that seen on this thread? If so are there any recommendations anyone knows of? I am aware that the K-Jet uses mechanical injectors (more like a presuure valve), which appear quite different to modern EFI injectors.

The internet is unusually quiet on K-Jet injectors and upgrades, but what I have found is as below, I don't know but it seems as the last three digit value increases, so does the power/engine size of their application, I couldn't find any info on flow rates etc but that may well be not apllicable due to the inherent differences between these and modern injectors.

Volvo B200E standard 0 437 502 015
Volvo B200ET standard 0 437 502 020
Volvo B280E standard 0 437 502 022
Volvo group A 'gold' or Mercedes Benz brass upgrade injectors 0 437 502 047

Interestingly the 047 brass types are about £22 each whereas the others are £30 to £50 each

I'd appreciate some wisdom on this! Thanks.
have a look to your morbidmobile thread. Don't do this, stop thinking about this. To match this system to a 2.5, with a different cam and head is waaaaay mor complicated. I will buy your destroyed engine very very cheap otherwise.
Good luck, Kay
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mocambique-amazone For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 16:34   #33
natmargetts

Just going to piggyback this- so if I'm looking at replacing the stock yellow injectors on a B200f, what bosch ones should I drop in that have the better mist pattern? Would really appreciate a link. If it makes any difference, I have changed the stock M cam to a V cam...
natmargetts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to natmargetts For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 19:58   #34
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by natmargetts View Post
Just going to piggyback this- so if I'm looking at replacing the stock yellow injectors on a B200f, what bosch ones should I drop in that have the better mist pattern? Would really appreciate a link. If it makes any difference, I have changed the stock M cam to a V cam...
A good place to start would be the 0 280 156 045 - pull fuse #1 before fitting them and replace after.

You'll find they are quite a common injector, i bought 6 from a Y32 engined Vauxhall Omega :

Other Vauxhalls, Fords and similar use them too so you should be able to find a set of four on ebay fairly cheaply.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 20:15   #35
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSaintJames View Post
Apologies in reviving an old thread, I have been brainstorming on ways to improve our B200E in the Hearse prior to an engine upgrade to a 2.5 using a penta AQ151 block.

My question is, as the 531 head is not readily compatible with K-Jetronic injection due to different injectors and locations (learnt this yesterday) we will be keeping the current head and injection system. Could I benefit from an injector upgrade in a similar fashion to that seen on this thread? If so are there any recommendations anyone knows of? I am aware that the K-Jet uses mechanical injectors (more like a presuure valve), which appear quite different to modern EFI injectors.

The internet is unusually quiet on K-Jet injectors and upgrades, but what I have found is as below, I don't know but it seems as the last three digit value increases, so does the power/engine size of their application, I couldn't find any info on flow rates etc but that may well be not apllicable due to the inherent differences between these and modern injectors.

Volvo B200E standard 0 437 502 015
Volvo B200ET standard 0 437 502 020
Volvo B280E standard 0 437 502 022
Volvo group A 'gold' or Mercedes Benz brass upgrade injectors 0 437 502 047

Interestingly the 047 brass types are about £22 each whereas the others are £30 to £50 each

I'd appreciate some wisdom on this! Thanks.
From memory the B200E uses the same injectors as the B230E and they do have scope for more flow. If were going to fuel a 2.5 NA I would consider B21ET injectors. Other than Volvo as you have found Mercedes is the next most common car to use these mechanical injectors

Would probably be better starting a new thread rather than confusing a thread on electronic injectors
classicswede is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post: