Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

HIFI wiring

Views : 502

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 8th, 2020, 20:02   #1
madspark01

Default HIFI wiring

Can anyone advise or direct me regarding the wiring set up on the standard stereo in my 2012 xc90. what I am trying to find out is if the amplifier signal is at preout level or speaker level as looking at upgrading speakers and amplifier plus adding a sub using an original enclosure with an 8" dual coil sub.
I don't want to change the original stereo facia as I think it suits the car and has every function I need except DAB which is easily added via either the usb input or the aux input.
Stealth wins as little darlings don't want to break in to it and steal the hifi if it looks standard. either advice or link to a wiring diagram would be much appreciated.
thanks ( first time Volvo owner )
madspark01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2020, 21:56   #2
SwissXC90
Premier Member

The Volvo XC90 stereos come in 3 x levels:
  • Standard (no external amplifier)
  • High Performance (with external amplifier)
  • Premium Sound (with external amplifier, more power, with center speaker)

I've never seen a car with standard stereo

When you turn on the stereo, it states the type of stereo in the stereo's LCD display. Mine is High Performance.

You likely have the amplifier under the front right-hand seat, which also means High Performance or Premium.
If Premium, you will likely have a badge on the center speaker.

The amplifier sits on a MOST fiber ring.
All audio channels (radio, nav, phone) go down the fiber ring to the amplifier

If you want to keep the existing system but upgrade the amplifier, you need a MOST interface to external amplifier, like this:
https://12volt-shop.lv/3/product/WUJWXw==.html
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 10th, 2020, 16:30   #3
madspark01

must be a high performance ( know its not premium )
it does sound decent but needs a sub
I have been looking at the OE sub but I understand it wont work with its integrated amp. I was intending to upgrade the sub to a better make and use a vibe optisound mini sub amp to run it.
also change the door speakers to the high performance ones for better clarity but I think the 4 x 40 amp in the car may be a bit underpowered for the high performance system speakers
why can't Volvo make it easy to upgrade
Old Feb 10th, 2020, 19:41   #4
SwissXC90
Premier Member

You can tap any sub into the rear channels, the sound to the rear D-pillar tweeters is unfiltered full range

So in the rear you have battery, switched power, speaker wiring easily accessible, everything you need for a sub!
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 21:19   #5
madspark01

I did think about putting an undersea sub under passenger seat if there was room and taking signal from front speaker output at amp then installing bass blocker 80-100 hz on output to front speakers which will allow mw to play them a bit harder with the sub doing the hard work.
has anyone else done this or similar
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 21:20   #6
madspark01

sorry should read underseat (bloody autocorrect )
The Following User Says Thank You to madspark01 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 21:50   #7
Harley Dave
Volvo Driver

"undersea sub" has a certain ring/ping/sonar to it...

Cheers

Dave
Harley Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Harley Dave For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 13:52   #8
madspark01

I know
wanting to increase low range not high range
just checked and no room under seat so will have to get one of the original ones and use a vibe compact sub amp ( VOLVO DONT MAKE IT EASY )
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 19:49   #9
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madspark01 View Post
I know
wanting to increase low range not high range
just checked and no room under seat so will have to get one of the original ones and use a vibe compact sub amp ( VOLVO DONT MAKE IT EASY )
If you do not have rear AC, you can fit a Volvo original sub speaker into the factory sub space, and then power it from an amp of your choice. That way you can tap into the rear speakers easy, and power easy, and have a sub install with zero space lost inside the car.
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 20:41   #10
oragex
Premier Member

Don't think it covers your model year, but while there here's for earlier years https://www.tehnomagazin.com/Auto-ra...-Connector.htm